Sugar-Free or Trying-to-be? It's May! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 202 Old 05-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome babybumblebee! Good luck on day 1. When you see how much better you feel without all the sugar, it will inspire you to keep going!

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
#182 of 202 Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 PM

Welcome! babybumblebee!!

I broke out in cold sweats for a week when I went sugar-free, it sucked! But I think I've finally evened out. I lost 5 lbs Yeay! I think packing up my house to move helps too!
#183 of 202 Old 05-26-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies, the last few days have been very rough, but I knew I wanted to come back here and celebrate 3 weeks of total sugar-freeness!!!! So, here I am - 3 weeks off the junk and feeling good. I'd feel better if I had lost more weight, but at least I am not an out-of-control sugar freak all day long like I was when I started this thread. I am so much better able to control all my eating when I don't have sugar in my diet. I don't spend my entire day dreaming of what I can eat next and I don't wake up thinking of what I can eat and I don't go to bed with a tummy full of 1000 calories of ice cream. Big improvement in my life!

MomaJ, thanks for the support!
[QUOTE=moma justice]but don't lose hope!
if it weren't for you starting this thread, i would not be any where near sugar free right now and it has been so good (hard but good for me)[QUOTE=moma justice]
Awww. Warm fuzzies. Thank you! So I *am* doing something good by just being here and being sugar free. I needed to hear that.

[QUOTE=moma justice]...eating sugar makes me sick it makes me feel sick and and crazy it is not worth it.[QUOTE=moma justice]
You are right. Thank you for that. Yes, sugar doesn't solve any problems, does it? If I recall correctly, it only creates problems!!! I think, like you, I am PMSing, so hopefully this will all shake out and the fat will melt in another week or 2 here. Hopefully!

[QUOTE=moma justice]
it may take time, it won't always be easy, but fo rme it is all or nothing.
i have to stay away from all sugar, or i am eating it like a pig every day![QUOTE=moma justice]
Ditto, ditto. Once I start in, I don't know how to stop. Better to just stop altogether. At least for now. Thanks for the support and you go girl in your bikini. Woo Hoo!!! Good for you!!
#184 of 202 Old 05-26-2005, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
*shamed* My name is Erika, and I am a sugar addict :

I have to quit - and I have to do it now....

My body has become so accustomed to running on sugar that I crave it...and have absolutely no sense when it comes to setting limits. I know that this is not a healthy behaviour
and I feel so sad and powerless.
This was me, 3 weeks ago. You can do it, you can!!!!! There are lots of great tips here on this thread to get through the cravings, too.

Just a little something I used to get me through the last few days:
Faux chocolate milk shake:
carob powder
frozen banana
milk of your choice
a little ice to make it nice and frozen tasting

1/2 the banana made it plenty sweet for me. It really was like a chocolate milk shake, without the guilt!
#185 of 202 Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 PM

Congratulations on 3 weeks MamaE! Way to go!!

#186 of 202 Old 05-27-2005, 09:17 AM

I've made it to day 2! It doesn't seem that great seeing as I managed two months back in Jan-March but I'm glad to be back on the wagon. Better go put a sticker on the calendar!

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#187 of 202 Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hooray, arcenciel!!! You can do it! By day 3, you won't even want to turn back. Hang in there!
#188 of 202 Old 05-27-2005, 10:44 PM

another day here!!!!!!
i am at 3 weeks too
it has been quite intense...but at this point i am getting to do some emotional work

the cravings have died down (as in a i don;t think about eating sugar 1/2 time and feel like sh*t after a binge the other half of the time)

now i only crave it every other day and it is not that bad

so now i am getting to understand why did i have to eat so much sugar all the time anyway?
what is it (besides the physical addiction) that made those treats so important in my life?

for me, i felt like my ability to do anything spontaniously that felt fun and good and carefree adn was all about me was zilch
since the day my dd was born my dh has been workign 2 jobs, commuting, and a full time grad student who was on a scholarship that required him to keep a high gpa

i have no family in this state and i did not trust my dd with a babysitter, even another mom until recently

in other words, my whole life revolved around taking care of my household and my dd with no help ever from anyone

not an hour
not even a 15 minute break ever

and sugar treats were something i could count on to make me feel good
any time of day or night, they did not interfear with the care of my dd and they were not expensive

that is so sad but true.....

so now my husband has been out of school for 2 weeks, we have been inour new house/new city for a month
and i have been sugar free for a month

my life style will change, as dh will have more time to be with dd so i can take a yoga class or a walk if i want

any way refelction is agood thing when trying to overcome addiction.

that is what is going on for me

hummus is still my treat for the week
i love it

keep it up
ladies!

i send out skinnier hugs and almond butter flavored kisses!
#189 of 202 Old 05-28-2005, 01:01 AM

Another day here to
#190 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Another sugar free day. This Thursday marks a month for me. Wow! I can't believe it. I've started exercising too, so that should help some of these last few pounds fall off. Anyone else just find it gets easier the longer you continue? I mean, eating sugar-free just feels like my new lifestyle now. I don't have to think about it nearly as much as I used to.

I did have some unintential sugar while we were staying at my ILs this weekend. I had to eat it though, couldn't be rude. It was in the meat MIL served. That woman has sugar in everything, I swear!! Brown-sugar ham, BBQ pork, her pre-made iced tea, yuck. I did manage to avoid all the baked goods, though.

June is just around the bend. Anyone up for another monthly thread?
#191 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 AM

Moma Justice, it's interesting to think about the why of it. For me, I was actually eating less since having the children - trying to set a good example - but yes, it was a way of being nice to myself that of course didn't take any extra effort. That I could fit into a busy day, that I could manage when I couldn't be bothered to do anything else....

I couldn't resist a milkshake at the school fête on Saturday so I'm only on day 3 today, but I resisted ice-creams...

MamaE, you're so lucky if you already feel you have changed your way of life. I feel I have so far to go.... although we never ate loads of pre-packed food and not much take-away, I guess I relied quite a lot on some things that come with sugar, and if you try not to lean too heavily on white flour it makes it hard to make all those changes. I quite often get to 5 o'clock and I don't know what I'm making for dinner. If you're trying to avoid sugar, it's useless to be unprepared like that - or at least it is for me! I can't even do pasta with a jar of sauce.... there is just so much to change.

But reading Sugar Blues is really motivating! Does anyone else have any other (more recent) books to recommend on sugar?

I'm certainly up for another month..

#192 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 03:55 PM

Hi! I've been off the wagon the past couple of days but I am hopping back on! I'm up for a June thread too.

#193 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenciel
MamaE, you're so lucky if you already feel you have changed your way of life.
Well, last time my "lifestyle change" only lasted 6 weeks, so we'll see how I do this time. :LOL I guess it's really too early to call. I just meant that after being sugar free for over 3 weeks now, it is more second nature than it was when I started. I mean, I don't have to think so much about what I can snack on and what I can and can't buy at the grocery store. YK?

Quote:
But reading Sugar Blues is really motivating! Does anyone else have any other (more recent) books to recommend on sugar?
I don't have any, but I would love to hear more recs! I always need the re-inspiration.

It's been a great month and a great thread. I'm looking forward to another sugar free month. I couldn't have gotten this far with out all the support I got here. And like MomaJ, just knowing I would have to check in here helped keep me on track. There was also a little added motivation from starting the thread. I mean, I couldn't very well *start* a sugar-free thread and then not do it, could I???
#194 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Sugar Blues is definitely an interesting read, and a lot of what he says makes sense, but I'm not sure I believe all of his claims. For example, he basically says if you are sugar-free you can forgo the sunscreen and not worry. I, for one, am not gonna test that theory!
Nourishing Traditions has some interesting things to say about sugar, and about nutrition in general. I've been lurking on the NT thread from time to time also.

MamaE, you rock! Thanks for keeping us going. You did a lot better than me this month, but I definitely benefitted from the thread and was sugar-free many more days than not, so I'm happy about that!

See you all in JUNE

#195 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiti
Sugar Blues is definitely an interesting read, and a lot of what he says makes sense, but I'm not sure I believe all of his claims. For example, he basically says if you are sugar-free you can forgo the sunscreen and not worry. I, for one, am not gonna test that theory!
Nourishing Traditions has some interesting things to say about sugar, and about nutrition in general. I've been lurking on the NT thread from time to time also.
I had heard this about being sugar fee and not needing bug repellant (Mercola I think).

I have heard that its unhealthy vegetable oils and trans fats that make the skin more vulnerable to the sun (I think that was in NT).
#196 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 PM

daily check in!
i am amazed at myself...
even though i do long for sweets here and there
i feel stronger and better than ever
my moods have leveled out and i swear i have dropped a couple of sizes!

the extra tummy sag that i thought was just saggy skin, never gonna go away, turns out there was a lot of fat there too, b/c it has greatly reduced!
good news for me! (lol)

the thing that amazes ME about being sugar free (i also went dairy free and pretty much no white flours)
is that it forces me to only put healthy super nutritious whole food in my mouth.

i have cut out every thing bad, the only thing left is the good
at first it took some focused research (i had to read every lable of every food i owned and wanted to buy....)
and some creativity to replace a lot of foods and meals that i ate daily/weekly

but now i am enjoying pumpkin seeds as snacks
tons of different ways to mix beans and rice (i have gotten really good at indian type dahl mixes if anyone is interested!)
and about all the veggies i can put down

i wonder though if this will be a life long thing....i mean will there ever be choc fudge brownies in my future AGAIN!!!?????????????????//

anyone else just one day at a time?or are you thinking you should stop forever?
does your time outlook on it make a difference with your ability to not give up?

keep it up ladies
i think i will count june 1st as my one month mark!
yayayyayyayayya
#197 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moma justice
i wonder though if this will be a life long thing....i mean will there ever be choc fudge brownies in my future AGAIN!!!?????????????????//

anyone else just one day at a time?or are you thinking you should stop forever?
does your time outlook on it make a difference with your ability to not give up?
This hits the nail right on the head for me. This is exactly what I struggle with and why I keep going off the sugar-free wagon. I really need to hear everyone's take on this. One day at a time? Stop forever? How to think about this? Help!
By the way MomaJustice, you're doing so great. Proud of you!!

#198 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

MomaJ, wow, you are doing great! And dairy free too - I'm impressed. I really should cut out or at least cut back my dairy, but haven't been able to get there yet... I relied a lot on dairy to get me through the cravings.

So, one day a time or forever? Hmm, that's an interesting question. I guess I am really one day a time still. I mean, it's second nature now but I can't imagine a life without ice cream or fudge or a milk chocolate bar. For me, I am trying to get to a point where my relationship with food isn't so warped. I mean I use it as a reward, I use it out of boredom, I use it to procrastinate, I use it to feel better, I use it to stuff feelings, etc... I am working hard at eating out of hunger only (this isn't going so well for me, but I keep trying!). I hope that one day after the dust settles and healthy food and eating out of hunger have become my way of life that I can have a treat once in a while. That it would be OK to walk to the ice cream store with DH and DD and have a scoop and not go on a crazy one month long sugar/carb binge. YK? Anyone else at this place with food? Anyone else dealt with it already?

See you all in June!!
#199 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 11:36 PM

MammaE-I right where you are--
My relationship with is a real struggle.
I had an eating disorder for YEARS and still eat too much when I am bored, upset, etc.
Eating no sugar definately makes me feel like I am healing my body though!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#200 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaE
I hope that one day after the dust settles and healthy food and eating out of hunger have become my way of life that I can have a treat once in a while. That it would be OK to walk to the ice cream store with DH and DD and have a scoop and not go on a crazy one month long sugar/carb binge. YK? Anyone else at this place with food?
Yep! That's me too. One of the main reasons I wanted tro go sugar-free was have some control over the whole thing. It's so easy to get caught up in eating for no reason at all, instead of when you need nourishment. I would like the occasionaly treat, but right now I know I can't handle it :

One thing I do want to stay away from is using food as a reward, for myself and my daughter. I know this really influenced the way I view food, and I want my daughter to eat to nourigh herself, not because she got an A or learned to tie her shoelaces.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#201 of 202 Old 05-31-2005, 11:59 PM

i had eating disorders all thru my teens (did not eat anything for years)
early adult just ate like crazy for a year
then moved my obsessions into eating only organics and got a better balance
then pregnancy just made me sugar crazy
and then up till recetnly, like i said it was my coping with not having a life outside of dd and her needs (really no life at all)

i come from a family of drug addicts, alcoholics, and diabetics, and over eaters/emotional eaters.....(there is some genetic connection between these issues and sugar issues)

so i have a lot of genetic and observed behaviors to work thru....

plus i am small (like 5.1 feet tall) and so i can't gain any weight and still look ok, b/c i have no where to put....

liek today i ate 2 sandwihces for lunch (humus adn sprouts on live grain bread) but i was full after the first one...the other one was just b/c it tasted so good.....
but i had worked for hrs in the garden (tilling my hand) and i just wanted to eat it. even though i felt like i did not "need" it hunger wise

that is what has also been confusing, sometimes i have not been hungry but felt like i just needed more nutrtion....maybe i am just exp'ing a new cleaner version of hunger? i am still breastfeeding and since i am dairy and sugar free, sometimes i just feel like i need fat...so i eat nuts, and spread garlic infused olive oil on bread!

and for me: i take it one day at a time
but someday
when i am really clean and ok
i want to eat a brownie (or at least a bite of one)

but if i even entertain that thought a little too much then i inch closer to convincing myself that that day is today!

and then i am eating sugar 24/7 before i can blink my eyes
#202 of 202 Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 AM

June thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...72#post3217772

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page