"Super Baby Food" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got this book and thus far, I have to say that I'm not impressed. The author, Ruth Yaron, seems to make feeding baby a whole heck of a lot more complicated than it needs to really be. I mean, charts to keep track of what baby has eaten/needs to eat for the day? Gimme a break.

She seems to think that babies need to eat A LOT of solids, or at least that's the impression that I've gotten so far. And breastfeeding doesn't seem to get much attention.

I've tried searching MDC for more info on this book but the search function doesn't seem to be working for me tonight- keeps crashing my browser!

So, just wondering what others thought about this book? Did you find it valuable? Should I give it another chance and keep reading or just return it to the library?

Just curious...
#2 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 12:41 AM

I thought it was awesome. I used it for 2 years and I'm sending it to my sister who is due in June.

I never kept charts, but was mindful that he had his protein,veggies etc.

I treasured that book and have demanded it's return from my sister
#3 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 12:44 AM

I thought it was awesome! I skipped the beginning stuff though and basically just used the guides for picking, preparing, and storing the foods. I have yet to find something as complete as their guide for the food care. And the fun extras (homemade toys recipes) are great!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 AM

I didn't like it. I thought it was too complicated and preferred nursing to all the charts, preparations, storing, etc. I didn't like to spend much time in the kitchen, so that's just me. If it wasn't for some of the crafty recipes in the back (homemade playdough) then I'd have donated it already. just my opinion.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#5 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 01:43 AM

Awesome. It's an amazing resource of information. I too think that she thinks babies should eat a LOT of solids (and I don't necessarily agree with that but I'm no expert) so I did used it as a resource.

I never kept a log, etc...

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#6 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 01:54 AM

I had friends who raved about it, and I got hold of a copy when my ds was about 3 months old. I thought the amounts she suggests are what would be normal for a 6 month old beginning to eat, but lo and behold, my ds is now 10 months and still only gets 1 or 2 tablespoons a day! I was stressing out a bit that he was not eating everything on her 'lists' of age appropriate foods...and even now he goes 2 days without pooping when he eats 'super porridge'...I think its too much for his little body to handle!

I aggree that she doesn't emphasise breastfeeding enough, and does not address the baby who refuses solids up to 1 year, which , after coming to these forums, I have now found out to be perfectly normal.

Her nutrient lists are great though...lets you know what foods are rich in certain key nutrients. And I do make food cubes in ice cube trays!
#7 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 02:00 AM

oh, I was going to say to use it more like a reference book--kwim?

Use what you can and skip the rest. Or use it to get a general idea.

The homemade brown rice baby cereal was worth it in my opinion
#8 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 02:16 AM

I loved the book myself---the recipes have been great.
I gave a copy to my girlfriend.
I agree the chart stuff I don't follow--I just try and use common sense with what she needs, and where she might be lacking. Oh--and I also agree the amounts listed are way more than what my baby eats!
I love all the extra stuff the book has in the back.
#9 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 08:14 AM

ITA that it has a lot of good reference material. I have also embraced the concept of "Super Porridge" wholeheartedly, and my DS eats my version every day.

I didn't consult the charts or the month-by-month stuff too much. My DS didn't eat solids, to speak of, until well over a year old, so I ignored all of Yaron's unrealistic expectations about the quantities of food, and I just use the book for ideas, recipes, and reference.

~Nick
#10 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 11:08 AM

I found it great as a resource - but I never would read it front to back. I find you have to do a bunch of cross reference between the chapters which drives me bonkers. It's got great info - so good to have on hand for reference but I prefered Leo Galland's - Super Immunity For Kids book for dictating a diet plan for young kiddos. Dr Sears' family nutrition book is also quite good.
#11 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 PM

I use it as a reference book, but I'm far too lazy to prepare and freeze foods in advance like she advocates (plus foods that I put in our freezer acquire a funny smell, which can't be good ) But I've gotten some good meal ideas for ds. I never read it front to back either, just would look up what I needed.
#12 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 12:30 PM

I also used it as a resource and reference... not as a bible.
#13 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 02:17 PM

I am also someone who grasped the "super porridge" idea, but left a lot of the rest. I, for one, don't like how she says dairy is necessary.

But I've made "super porridge" my own art. I usually buy bulk grains, grind them, mix millet or barley with pureed kale and tofu, or wild blueberries mixed with cooked pureed oat groats. Quinoa mixed with pureed broccoli and cauliflower. And of course I freeze it in ice cube trays. My dd has gotten a lot of whole grains and green vegetables as a result of the ideas I got and expounded on from this book.
#14 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 06:34 PM

im going to lurk here.
#15 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 PM

I loved the book. We certainly didn't do any "charting" but we found the nutritional info soooo useful and the recipes all so good and easy and healthy. Plus, she's such a great pro-vegetarian I respected her little anti-meat comments throughout the book

It's a book I'm hanging on to for sure.
#16 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 PM

I loved the book when I bought it four years ago (just before I began to feed my first child solid food.) And I still love it, one child later. I agree with many of you that it's good as a reference book and not embraced as a whole feeding program. When I first bought the book, I found it absolutely overwhelming. But I loved the super porridge idea and also the simple instructions about how to prepare any type of fruit or veggie for a baby.

We still keep many of the appetizers in the freezer for quick snacks: wheat germ balls, honey milk balls, cheery cheese casserole, etc, etc.
#17 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 PM

I loved it for dd and now use it for my 9 month old ds. I think it's a great all around book on feeding children. I like Super Immunity For Kids too as someone already mentioned. I tried kale with my ds yesterday and was surprised to find out he liked it. I dont think I would have thought to try kale since nobody else likes it in my family but I'm glad I did. I dug out my ice cube trays and froze the rest into cubes. I think its a fabulous book!
#18 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 11:16 PM

I'm lurking too.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#19 of 28 Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 PM

I like having hte book around as a resource. I agree with everyone that the amounts she expects babies to eat at certain ages are too big. But every baby is different too. My son didn't get into solids much until closer to 9-10 months old, but I've seen friends babies (breastfed) who actually do eat easily as much as she recomends.
Anyway I loved the lists of what foods to introduce at different ages. Not because we gave them that early, but I used it as a loose guide for what *order* to introduce things in. Also as ideas for what else to give him, if I felt like we were getting stuck in a rut.

I love the ice cube tray idea, still use it all the time. Love freezing applesauce in cubes and taking a few out in the morning to mix into our oatmeal. I also love all the information on picking/cleaning/cutting/cooking all different fruits and vegetables. We didn't come into parenthood from the healthiest diet really, we're trying hard and improving a lot especially since ds is 16 months now and eats pretty much whatever we do(I figure if I'm horrified at the idea of feeding it to my child, maybe I shouldn't be eating it either : ) but anyway I'm trying to expand our produce world. So I often will be at hte grocery and see something I think we should try. Then I get it home and realize I have no idea even how it should be cut up, nevermind what recipes to use it in! :LOL This book helps me a lot with that, getting comfortable with a new food.

The only thing that freaks me out a lot(aside from how much she expects babies to eat) is how early peanut butter is supposed to be introduced. 8 months I think she says? Barring family history of allergies of course, but still. I always thought you were supposed to wait until 2 or 3 years.
#20 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 AM

hmmm...i think i need to give it another chance. when i first got it, i spent almost no time in the kitchen. now that i'm in the kitchen all the time, enjoying it, am vegetarian, i might like it more. (i probably resented any anti-meat comments at the time.) i like the super porride idea. i will have to pull it off the chance and give it another shot. the superimmunity for kids book sounds great, too.

#21 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 01:17 AM

okay. i just pulled my Super Baby Food down off the bookshelf, dusted it off, and read several recipes.

YUMMMY! What was I thinking? I think I got turned off in the beginning by all the charts and stuff. Now that I'm veg*n and have a new-found interest in food and cooking, this stuff looks great! I think even my very-picky 4yo will like these recipes. Plus, there's a veg*n food pyramid in the back. I'm excited that I didn't give it away already.

Thanks for this thread!

(However, I don't see my 4yo eating that Super Porridge. It didn't sound too good. I'll have to stick to Super C Smoothies.)

#22 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 08:47 AM

I actually prefer the book Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter. She believes that babies do not need highly pureed foods (and that if a baby can only handle highly pureed foods then s/he is probably not ready for solids anyway). She recommends that instead of spending time pureeing and freezing batches of food, you should spend your time on planning wholesome meals for the whole family and setting aside some for the baby prior to seasoning. My boys have been on basic table food since I started them on solids and they do great. I mash up some things but never use a blender and almost never freeze anything. We have even been able to order them their own plate of food to share when we go out, and all we have to do is chop things up small enough for them to eat.

I mainly use Super Baby Food as a resource to figure out when it's safe to introduce certain foods. And I followed her advice about the very first foods. The first things my babes ate other than oatmeal were bananas, sweet potatoes, avocado, and yogurt. These are still big staples in their diet.
#23 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP_starmama
I am also someone who grasped the "super porridge" idea, but left a lot of the rest. I, for one, don't like how she says dairy is necessary.

But I've made "super porridge" my own art. I usually buy bulk grains, grind them, mix millet or barley with pureed kale and tofu, or wild blueberries mixed with cooked pureed oat groats. Quinoa mixed with pureed broccoli and cauliflower. And of course I freeze it in ice cube trays. My dd has gotten a lot of whole grains and green vegetables as a result of the ideas I got and expounded on from this book.
Karmel, I know a lot of folks mix the greens in with their porridge, and I'd love to do it, but have never tried it. Have you done the greens since the beginning? How "noticeable" are they, may I ask? We've stuck with the same recipe (millet, lentils, oats or brown rice, wheat germ, flax seed, molasses, and then banana added fresh each morning) that I'm a little wary of varying the formula. I do love that I can get whole grains in, though.

~Nick

PS. Childishgoth, glad to see you found this thread!

PPS. Sorry for the small hijack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
#24 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 PM

I've always mixed super porridge with some other type of veggie or fruit so that I could get more fresh things in her diet. I've always mixed kale in with her porridge. I usually boil two head of kale and puree in the food processor. Then I mix with a lot of cooked barley, millet, brown rice, spelt ... whatever. I have a morning version of the porridge with oat groats, spelt, pears, wild blueberries and cherries. Her kale stuff right now has millet, zucchini, tofu, leek, 2 heads of kale and some seaweed. I'm very big on combining things!
#25 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Well, I was immediately turned off by the book because of the misinformation;
she warns about making sure to get the baby off the breast/bottle by 10 mo. or so, that way they don't develop a "habit"

she pushes solids at 4 mo

she talks about how if you don't feed them solids soon enough you might miss a window of opportunity and does not address late solid eaters

perhaps once my 9.5 mo old actually starts eating solids the recipes will be helpful

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#26 of 28 Old 05-11-2005, 05:24 PM

I know most of you said you didnt bother with the charts. I find them helpful. What I did was take the charts on pages 134 and 135 and have them copied and then had it laminated. One side is a full page of the daily worksheet enlarged so I can write on it and the other is the daily worksheet and "quick reference for super baby food groups". I use a magnet and keep it on the fridge with a washable marker. I dont bother with checking everything off but its a good way for me to kinda keep track throughout the day of what he has eaten. I just write in the spaces what he eats and roughly how much. Its really helped me see that he is getting loads of nutrition and the most bang for the buck!! lol The next morning I wash it and start over.
#27 of 28 Old 05-12-2005, 12:58 AM

i love it! i do think she has babes eating way more solids than mine ever has, but...i just ignore that part...i have yet to read a book (other than the bible) that hasnt had *some* thing that either shocks/makes me question/i ignore, etc...
#28 of 28 Old 05-21-2005, 05:58 PM

I don't know about freezing food in ice cube trays. The trays are made of plastic and certainly seem candidates for leaching chemicals, like adipates and phthalates or bisphenol A (from polycarbonate plastic) into baby's food. The old type metal trays are aluminum - also not ideal for food storage. I've been looking into buying some small glass jars, like the kind Earth's Best First Foods come in, but they wouldn't be as convenient - e.g., you can't just "snap out" the cubes. By the way, freezer bags are also plastic. I would use plexiglas glass storage bowls. The lids are quite tight - perhaps not as well sealed as the freezer bags, but no nasty chemicals this way (as long as the food doesn't touch the plastic lids!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page