Favorite Soups,stews and curries! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-29-2002, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am feeling like such a burnout lately when it comes to dinner! my family loves soups, stews and curries but we are sick of my same old recipies! I need a new cookbook but for now i'd love some recipies from other vegetarian mamas for a new array of choices!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-29-2002, 04:08 PM

Well, I'm waiting for the suggestions, too. I'd love a good curry recipe - fairly new to using curry, but love it. Sorry I don't have anything to contribute yet:
#3 of 17 Old 10-29-2002, 04:15 PM

I made potato leek soup last night. it's very simple and good:

Vegetable soup stock
chopped potatoes
chopped leeks
butter or olive oil
salt
pepper
bay leaf
cream (if not vegan)

Heat oil in a pot. Put in the chopped potatos and leeks and stir them around. Add stock and bay leaf. Simmer untiil everything is soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a spoonful of cream for the non-vegans.

--AmyB
#4 of 17 Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Banned

Cream of Broccoli Soup: sautee one onion and one minced garlic clove over medium heat in some butter or olive oil until softened and starting to brown lightly. Add about three cups of stock. Add chopped broccoli (maybe two stalks' worth). Simmer until the broccoli is tender. Puree soup, adding more stock if necessary. Return to pot and add a cup or two of cream or half and half. Salt and pepper to taste. If you want, you can also add cheddar cheese. Serve with good, crusty bread.
#5 of 17 Old 10-30-2002, 12:01 AM

This an easy curry like dish. You need:
I.5 cups of cooked chick peas(or one can)
Small can of tomato sauce
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic or to taste ,minced
Curry powder to taste
1 to 2 cups of water.
olive oil
Satuee onion and garlic in oil until soft add curry powder and cook a minute or so. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about 45 minutes,until about half the liquid remains. Serve over cooked rice or with flat bread. This isn't an exact recipe ,so tweek to suit your taste.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#6 of 17 Old 10-30-2002, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Keep em' comin!!! our tummies are singing!!!
#7 of 17 Old 10-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Banned

This is very easy and very tasty: SAAG PANIR: Thaw two packages frozen spinach, and saute for five minutes or so in an unoiled pan with some dried chile peppers (cayenne, arbol, or another small red chile - adjust the amount to your taste. you can also use fresh green chiles if you like) and about an inch of peeled fresh ginger. Let it cool a bit, and puree in blender or food processor. Wipe out the pan and saute one finely chopped medium onion and two minced garlic cloves in several tbs of vegetable oil or ghee. Add 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and two tsp cumin, and saute until fragrant. Add two chopped tomatoes (or one can chopped tomatoes). Add one medium container of cottage cheese or farmer's cheese, stir until heated through, and serve with basmati rice.
#8 of 17 Old 10-30-2002, 12:05 PM

You might try a thai curry as opposed to an indian one. It's still curry but it is a whole different flavor. For yellow thai curry, you can get the yellow curry paste in a plastic container from the oriental grocery. (its the one with the yellow label - the red, blue, and green I find to be inedibly hot) That and some coconut milk, pineapple chuinks potatoes, carrots and just about anything else you want to throw in - chicken, tofu chunks, other veggies, hot peppers ... It will be a sort of soupy consistency and you serve it over jasmine rice with fresh cilantro. Great cold weather food and if you add heat it clears the sinus's out quite nicely. For an accompaniment, try a small salad with spicy peanut dressing which you can also find at the oriental market.
#9 of 17 Old 10-31-2002, 01:29 PM

I don't ccok with recipes very closely, so my suggestions may be harder to follow but I love to make soups and curried veggie dishes (all vegan). One favorite soup is a Mexican bean soup -- use black eyes peas, pintos, anasazi beans and make it pretty watering so you have lots of broth and add garlic, cumin (like 2 tbs for a big pot, but add sowly and taste it), a bay leaf, a little red chile if you want, salt and cilantro. It's really good! Also, I am actually making a white bean and tomatoe soup right now (garlic, oregano, thyme, basil, salt) and I find that anything can be added to potatoes and curry and turns out great (boil some potatoes and add sliced carrots right at the ned, then drain and put into a pan with some type of greens and a little water, add curry to taste, also chickpeas are good in this).

And, one last one - this is a pasta sauce. I blend chickpeas with brown rice miso (and some water to thin it) and add it to a pan with fried garlic and some type of chopped greens. heat and serve with whole wheat pasta - its like vegan version of a cream sauce.

m

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#10 of 17 Old 10-31-2002, 05:50 PM

lentil soup

1.5 cups lentils (either brown or green french lentils)
3 tbs olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 TBS minced garlic
1 can diced tomatoes (or 1 cup of fresh tomatoes diced)
4 c stock (I use beef bullion to make beef stock, but I've made with veggie stock too)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending upon your taste buds)
1 tsp each salt and pepper

(I didn't soak the lentils overnight, even though the recipe calls for it).

In a heavy stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil
Add the onion and saute until translucent.
Add celery and carrots, saute until veggies are soft. Add garlic and cook for ~2 more minutes.
Add tomatoes, lentils, stock, red pepper and 4 c of water.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered until the lentils are completely tender (25-60minutes).
Taste soup, season with salt and pepper.
Serve warm with bread.

this one I got from a friend of mine, most of her recipes consist of open a can of cream of ___ soup, add noddles, meat and cheese. So see notes at bottom, for my variations.

Mulligtawny Soup
3 cups chopped veggies (carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, whatever)
6 cups of canned broth
1 tsp garlic
1 sprig fresh cilantro
2 tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
4 tsp curry powder
3 TBS flour
1/2 cup cream (I use yogurt)
2 tbs corriander leaves (I just add it for garnish)

cut up veggies, boil veggies, broth, garlic, coriander and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the veggies are soft.

Cool the mixture. puree in a blender. Return soup to pan and bring to a gentle simmer.

Saute onions in butter until they soften. Add curry powder and flower and cook for 1 minute, stirring rapidly. add this mixture to the soup, simmer until the soup is thickened.

Just before serving stir in the cream and the coriander leaves.

my notes --- I pretty much just make about 6 cups of liquid veggie stock and then blend the veggies I use for that. I think katie uses canned chicken broth.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#11 of 17 Old 11-02-2002, 11:41 PM

Bump. Please keep them coming! I haven't had the chance yet, but I'm definitely adding these to my saved recipes.

#12 of 17 Old 11-03-2002, 01:39 PM

baked potato soup

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery (I left this out when I made it Thursday, but used celery salt instead of regular salt)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Baked Potatoes chopped into soup-sized bits
1 tbs sour cream (approximate)
1 tbs light cream cheese (approximate)
1.5 cups chicken (or veggie) broth
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

2-3 slices of cooked bacon or chopped ham or turkey lunchmeat (i left this out when I made for my veggie sister).

INSTRUCTIONS
Melt butter in a fairly large soup pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, garlic and bay leaf; saute ~5 minutes. Add milk, thyme, salt, pepper, chopped Loaded Baked Potatoes, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.

If soup is too thin ---> mix (in a separate cup) about 1/2 tbs flour and enough milk to make a paste that is just about liquid. add that liquid-y mixture to the soup and bring to a boil. Stir until thickened.

Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 green onions and meat. (or sometimes I top with a bit of cheddar cheese).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#13 of 17 Old 11-06-2002, 01:32 PM

This is the soup Moroccans traditionally eat to break the Ramadan fast. Kids love it. I don't use recipes, but you get the idea.

Soak a handful of chickpeas overnight.

In a dutch oven--let's say 4-qt--cover chickpeas and lamb soup bones or a couple chicken thighs (with bones) or both with salted water, bring to a boil and simmer to tender. Remove meat.

Add to stock: small handful of lentils, medium diced onion, pepper to taste, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ginger, a good amount of fresh parsley and cilantro, chopped, and peeled, seeded, chopped tomato, if you like.

Cook until lentils and chickpeas are tender.

Add a small handful tiny pasta--broken vermicelli, orzo, etc--or rice, diced meat, and a tablespoon of tomato paste. Cook to tender. Check seasonings, and thicken soup further, if you like, with flour and water.

Some people like to add cinnamon; I do not. Obviously, meat can be moitted and veggie stock subbed in. Do not skimp on cilantro. Serve with medjool dates on the side for a treat!
#14 of 17 Old 03-11-2003, 12:18 PM

This thread was sleeping and I woke it up!
#15 of 17 Old 03-11-2003, 05:32 PM

Nothing to add, but that baked potato soup is calling my name.
#16 of 17 Old 03-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Lots of great recipes here!

Here's my fave: easy cream of spinach soup- I eat almost the whole pot.

Saute and onion and garlic until soft and garlic or add gralic powder

Throw in a bunch of spinach (or a brick of it from the freezer) and stir for a few minutes. Add a little water- less than a cup- enough to steam spinach and put lid on pot for 7-10 minutes. Add 2 cups of rice dream or milk or some cream and puree. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Recipe can also work with potatos, but this is quick and eay. It looks very green. St Patricks Day food, for sure!!!!!!!!!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#17 of 17 Old 03-13-2003, 12:57 AM

I used to make GREAT PICKLED CURRY VEGGIES, but I'm sad to say I never used any measuring I just threw everything in........

If you want to try........

You need fresh masala, the damp kind, with some grated ginger root...... mix that with some garlic if you like and cook it in a saucepan with a little oil. (the masala will suck up the oil really quick but don't use too much) I would probably move it round the saucepan for a few minutes, and then throw in the veggies, carrots, brocolli, cabbage, cauliflower..... etc almost anything works - although I never used anything that HAD to be cooked completely, cause you have to leave it a little crisp.
Once it was partway cooked, I'd throw in the vinegar, and bring it to the boil - just enough vinegar to have everything soaking in it. Once it was brought to the boil, take it off the heat and let it cool down.
This will last in the fridge in a nice air tight jar for a while (Never long in my fridge)
Eat however you like. Some people eat it with meat as a garnish/sauce. some eat it right out the jar..... the taste gets stronger the longer it stays in the jar.

Chelly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page