Who makes your own hot chocolate?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-01-2002, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love hot chocolate when it gets chilly. dh bought a box of Hershey's Chocolate Raspberry, n it was yummy.... until I took a look at the ingreds..... high sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean oil..... yikes!!
So I guess I gotta make my own hot chocolate..... only, how do you do it? Am I stupid? do you just buy cocoa and cook it with some milk and sugar??
#2 of 21 Old 11-01-2002, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
usually there's a recipe on the cocoa box, but yeah, that's basically it. milk + cocoa + sugar = hot chocolate. adjust the portions to your liking. you might also throw in a drop of vanilla extract and i think i've seen a pinch of salt called for before, too, but the basics are the milk and cocoa and sugar. if you want to go the really easy route you could get some organic chocolate syrup and just add that to the milk. i prefer to have more control over the chocolate/sugar ratio, though. i don't like it too sweet.

have fun!

p.s. you can do it on the stovetop or in the nuke-rowave. if you nuke it, though, i've found it works best to warm just a teeny bit of milk with the cocoa for about a minute to get the cocoa to mix well. then add the rest of the milk and nuke til steaming hot and foamy.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 21 Old 11-02-2002, 07:44 PM

Here's the recipe off the side of Hershey's Cocoa (believe it or not, I just happened to be making some when I saw this thread).

Top of stove top, six servings
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
dash salt
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk
3/4 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in saucepan; stir in hot water. Cook and stir over med heat until mixture boils; boil and stir two minutes. Stir in milk and heat. Do NOT boil. Remove from heat; add vanilla.

I usually use just under a cup of sugar, it's plenty sweet that way.

I need to figure out how to adapt that recipe for cocoa dry mix to take to work so I could just add water. How would I substitute dry milk for the wet milk, anyone know?
#4 of 21 Old 11-03-2002, 01:04 PM

Hi there,
You can buy chocolate Silk soymilk and just heat that right up...Simple and sooo yummy.
#5 of 21 Old 11-14-2002, 04:52 PM

I admit, I'm not as big a fan of homemade hot cocoa (although that darn Land o' Lakes "Cocoa Classics" mix rocks...

... but, homemade hot chocolate is something that I really love!

Heat together in a saucepan or double boiler, whisking frequently:

3/4c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-2 T. sugar (to taste)
3c. milk (any kind)
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

Orage zest is delightful in this as well...

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#6 of 21 Old 11-14-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

Yes, try using both cocoa AND finely chopped, good quality chocolate! And the cinnamon and/or orange zest sound fabulous.
#7 of 21 Old 11-14-2002, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So that's the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate! Well, duh! : It's obvious now I think about it.

Hershey's syrup, mug of milk, stir vigorously, nuke till hot.

Though that hot chocolate sounds pretty darn good.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#8 of 21 Old 11-14-2002, 09:28 PM

My family used to make a version of hot chocolate around Christmastime from a Frugal Gourmet cookbook. I know it involved good bar chocolate and whipping cream. Mmmm...
#9 of 21 Old 11-14-2002, 11:43 PM

If you're lazy like me, Giradeli (sp?) hot chocolate has less yucky ingredients. It's also made to be cooked in milk instead of water, so it's a little bit more healthy. I usually stir in some powdered milk after it's hot to make up for the calcium that you don't absorb because of the chocolate, but I'm pregnant, so you may not want to do that.
#10 of 21 Old 11-15-2002, 10:35 PM

Mmm! Ghirardelli chocolate is awesome! Maybe I'll get some of the hot chocolate mix too.
#11 of 21 Old 11-15-2002, 11:30 PM

Good quality bar chocolate (either chopped or grated) always yields the best results, but it rarely lasts long enough to end up in hot chocolate around here, and then there's my rampant laziness to contend with, as well... so we usually settle for chocolate chips....

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#12 of 21 Old 11-16-2002, 10:39 AM

Rice Dream Baby! They have a chocoalte and a carob flavor and believe it or not they have no sugar of any kind. It is so creamy and sweet. Just heat and enjoy, yum!!!!
#13 of 21 Old 11-16-2002, 05:57 PM
Banned

1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbl flour
1/3 c sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 c water
2 c light cream
1 c milk
1-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Garnish:
1 c whipped cream w/ grated nutmeg
cinnamon stick with a curly orange peel wrapped around it

Combine first 7 ingredients in heavy pot, whisk till smooth, heat till just barely simmering. Add cream and then milk in thin stream, whisking continually. Heat till hot. Take off heat and add vanilla and/or almond extract.

Top with whipped cream, garnish as desired, enjoy, then eat celery for the next 6 days to make up for it.
#14 of 21 Old 11-16-2002, 07:04 PM

Ah!laska makes a great organic cocoa that I like to use. Also, for when I'm lazy, I like Hershey's Good Night Kisses when I can find it - it doesn't have caffeine! I also like getting Ibarra or some other brand of Mexican hot chocolate at the food import stores - it's a solid chocolate chunk that you put in a blender with hot milk/soymilk. Yummy - gotta go make some now, since it's a perfect day for it (wet and cold!)

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#15 of 21 Old 11-26-2002, 08:18 PM

Here's how I make hot chocolate: 1 tspn powdered chocolate (like Hersheys), about 2 tspns honey or maple syrup, a pinch of salt, and hot soymilk in a cup. The best hot chocolate I ever had in my whole life was served at a small department store in Tiajuana, Mexico. Just a word about Silk: it contains carageenan which is a carcinogen and is contained in many soymilks. I only buy soymilk w/o carageenan like Vitasoy.
#16 of 21 Old 11-26-2002, 11:26 PM

I make hot cocoa with powdered cocoa, a bit of salt, milk and peach/pear/pineapple juice concentrates (3P sweetener) and it's yummy. I can't give the recipe because I never measure it!
#17 of 21 Old 11-27-2002, 12:31 AM

T stepkoni, carrageenan comes from seaweed - where did you hear it's a carcinogen? if you have a source for that I'd love to see it, because carrageenan is in a lot of things.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#18 of 21 Old 11-27-2002, 09:59 AM

Jane--I heard that carrageenan is a carcinogen on a health related talk show (Dr. Ronald Hoffman on WOR radio). Then my husband found some studies on carrageenan on the internet which show that it can cause cancer of the digestive tract I think. Do a search on the internet for more details.
#19 of 21 Old 11-27-2002, 11:41 AM

I make my own too--I usually mix the cocoa powder with a tiny bit of water to make it more mixable, and then add sweetner (we almost always use honey in our house), then add milk, always mixing. I like to sometimes add almond extract, instead of vanilla.

I used to buy packets but they really are kind of scary--like "coffeee whitener." I haven't bought "just add water" mix in years. My mom does. Which is weird, considering that she just sold the cows less than 2 years ago. Don't you think she'd prefer milk cocoa? :
#20 of 21 Old 11-27-2002, 06:56 PM

Alton Brown on Foodtv made a really good chocolate mix that I think you only have to add hot milk to, but i cant find the reciepe for it now. I did a search on foodtv and came up with some others that look yummy.
#21 of 21 Old 11-28-2002, 03:17 PM

Well, you all piqued my interests and I did a quick google search for "carrageenan is a carcinogen " .

Here's what I found in 5 mins:

Degraded carrageenan is a carcinogenhttp://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/...01/s_45265.asp

Degreaded Carrageenan is a known or suspected carcinogen (there were many lists like this I found with it on there)
http://anatomy.med.unsw.edu.au/safety/Carcinogens.htm

And I quote, in part (link after quote) from this other site:

Quote:
A spokesman for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says there are two kinds of carrageenan -- undegraded and degraded. Undegraded carrageenan is what has been approved by the FDA for use in food. Degraded carrageenan has changed into a different substance and really isn't carrageenan anymore, says the spokesperson, and that is often what's been used in research studies.

According to the FDA, carrageenan is considered safe when manufactured according to FDA guidelines.

Tobacman, however, says that virtually all carrageenan changes into degraded carrageenan. She says even when manufacturers use undegraded carrageenan, food preparation and the acid in our stomachs inevitably break some of the substance down into degraded carrageenan.

Because of this, she believes the FDA should more strictly regulate the use of carrageenan, especially since other thickening agents, like locust bean, guar and xanthan, are available for food manufacturers to use.

While agreeing it would probably be a good idea for the FDA to review these studies, Ruth Kava, director of nutrition for the American Council on Science and Health, says the question of whether carrageenan could be harmful to humans is very much up in the air.

"An awful lot of these experiments didn't give the carrageenan in a way analogous to humans," says Kava. Researchers often gave the animals undegraded carrageenan in drinks and sometimes even infused the substance directly into the animals' intestines, she says. And, she adds, the results varied from species to species.

"In most animal models, carrageen has not been found to be a problem, except in guinea pigs," she adds. Carrageenan is a carcinogen for guinea pigs, according to the study.

Kava says this situation may be similar to the saccharin studies done many years ago. That food additive was banned when studies on rats found that high doses of saccharin caused cancer in rats. Later studies exonerated the sweetener.

But, she adds, this study dose raise some interesting questions that should probably be studied further.
source: http://healingwellibd.subportal.com/...se/502197.html

Well, you asked !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page