maltitol sweetner question???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-02-2002, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you mama's eaten sugarless goodies with the sweetner maltitol? I believe it is all natural. But really have not heard too much about it.

My father-in-law brought a pumpkin goodie bag for my 17 mo dd with all natural sugarless treats. Nothing with aspertame or other chemicals. He went to a local health food store and bought sugarless cookies, chocolate and a few other items. Everything has this maltitol sweetner in it...

Snuck a chocolate bar from her bag and ate it...it was really good but a half hour later got a stomach ache...

Anyone have any experiences with this?????? I don;t know if I should let her eat anymore...She only had 2 small cookies.
TIA Melanie
#2 of 5 Old 12-20-2002, 01:59 PM

I agree that it is from a natural source, so it is better than aspartame or other chemical sweetners.

The only thing else that I really know about it is that it can have a laxative effect, that may account for the stomach ache.

Marie
#3 of 5 Old 12-23-2002, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your reply melanie
#4 of 5 Old 12-23-2002, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My husband eats the Carbolite bars that use it. It has a great laxative effect, which he actually needs on that diet. But after awhile he gets used to it and it doesn't work for him anymore.
#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2002, 06:04 AM

don't eat a lot of it. my dh got explosive diarrhea from eating a 1/4lb of "sugar free" gummi bears. it emptied him out, but he was in terrible pain and horribly embarassed. I've experienced the laxative effect myself - it can be pretty awful if you eat enough of it.

Sorbitol is the same, laxative-wise.

I wish more companies used Stevia. It doesn't breakdown in cooking like some of those artificial sweeteners can (don't even get me started on aspartame, I'm a total crusader - don't want to say activist... ) and is less refined, and doesn't cause blood sugar fluctuations the way some artificial sweeteners do. It's coming along. slowly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page