Vitamix, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-05-2002, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wonder.... how many of you own this USD400 appliance??!! ok, I saw/read abt it on vegfamily.com, and curious, went to the website to take a look (www.vitamix.com). It seems like a REAL COOL thing to have in the kitchen, but the price!!!!!!!!! I nearly flipped backwards... my aunt was telling me abt smth similar, some Thunder chef thing....any gadget junkies who have used such amazing machines?? What's your experiences? Tell me! I wld be happy to give up grinding, chopping, etc, if only the price is more acceptable...
#2 of 17 Old 11-05-2002, 07:44 PM

We bought our vitamix a year and half ago and use it at LEAST twice a day!!!!! I know, it is really expensive but you can make everything in it!!! I t really is one appliance in my kitchen that I CAN'T live without. Highly recommend it~~~~~you may even want to keep your eye out on e-bay because you may be able to find one for a better price. melanie
#3 of 17 Old 11-05-2002, 07:45 PM

I have a vita-mix, and I really like it a lot. I originally bought it to grind meat and bones for my dogs.

But, it came with a book of recipes, and so we use it for us more than for the dogs. Plus, the dogs eat their meat whole now that they are big.

But I digress. You can buy a reconditioned vita-mix for a lot less $$. It has the same warranty and the blade/container is new -- it is just the motor that is reconditioned.

A friend of mine is interested in the VM also, but is put off by the price, as well. She is going to go ahead and buy it because they offer a 30 day trial period -- try it for 30 days at no risk type of thing, you know? So, that might be a good option for you.

If I were buying one today, I would check them out at ebay or somewhere like that. Knowing as I do that these things do NOT break, I would feel that it is not a risk not buying directly from Vita Mix.

I have also seen the info-commercial for the Thunderstick -- maybe that's what your aunt was talking about. My sister and I both think it looks cool, but I have never tried it. You could look it up on the internet. VM has a great reputation, and I have seen them at zillions of restaurants.

By the way, VM says that it replaces a food processor and juicer and more, but I would never use the VM for those purposes. It doesn't filter the pulp from the juice, so you can juice as much unless you use cheesecloth or something, and who the heck wants to do that everyday?!

And I don't use it for chopping, either.

I use it for soups, sauces, dips, purees (I can't wait to make baby food in a couple of years!), and of course, drinks.

Good luck!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#4 of 17 Old 11-06-2002, 03:41 AM

Hi Earth,

We got our Vitamix over 8 years ago. I can honestly say we've been using it at least 3-4 days out of every week since we bought it.

This week I used it to make cole slaw (shred cabbage) in under 3 seconds. It washes the cabbage too in the process.

I use it to make fruit smoothies for my toddler and she sucks them up so fast she usually ends up drinking a lot more than me.

It makes the most amazing soft serve ice cream (non-dairy) in about 30 seconds.

My husbnad uses it to make hot, fresh soup in 3 minutes. I don't like the soups he makes but I'm not a big soup fan. I can tell you that they smell pretty good and all you have to do is throw the veggies in and turn it on.

I used to make hummus in it all the time but haven't done that lately, although it works great for that.

There are just so many things this machine can do. We use it to make pancake batter, blend tofu for use in pie recipes, just so many things I take for granted now. After 8 YEARS it's still running strong.

You can get a reconditioned vitamix from the vitamix site and still get the free shipping that I offer through VegFamily. The people who work there are amazing. I dropped a container and a small piece chipped off the bottom. I mentioned it to them in passing and they sent me a new container and I didn't even ask for one! I couldn't believe their customer service was that good, but it is.

I think you'll find that when you have one, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
#5 of 17 Old 11-06-2002, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I hope to hear more stories!!

Erin, can you also make chocolate soft-serve ice-cream with the Vitamix? I love chocolates, yummy! been on a chocolate crave lately n the other day I even made veggie chili with chocolate! --not my invention though, got the recipe elsewhere.
btw, I've also tried your green beans with peanut sauce recipe several times, it's great!!

You all make me start to long for a Vitamix in my kitchen too! But I will have a hard time convincing dh...

Can I truly just have a Vitamix and throw out my food processor n blender?? We are running out of space in the kitchen! Also, it seems a really powerful machine, does it consume a lot of electricity??
#6 of 17 Old 11-06-2002, 10:17 PM

I don't think it consumes a lot of electricity. In fact, it makes stuff really fast, faster than a blender.

We haven't used an actual blender for 8 years. You can definitely get rid of the blender. Blending is the easiest thing that the vitamix does. It's the making of ice cream and soup that boggle my mind. How can one machine make hot soup and frozen ice cream. It's amazing! But it works. And so quickly too.

I haven't tried to make chocolate soft serve. But there is a recipe in there to do it. I usually make strawberry soft serve and pineapple soft serve. Those are the best, in my opinion.

Okay, one time I made the pineapple soft serve, and ate the whole thing in one sitting! It never made it to the freezer. Don't tell DH! He thinks I conveniently forgot to make it after I said I was going to.

It is expensive, but after 8 years I can tell you this machine has way more than paid for itself. Plus it's self cleaning. Or you can rinse it while it's still wet and it cleans so easy.

Also, you can make nut butters really easily. Just put peanuts in the vitamix and in a minute you've got peanut butter. I make a cashew cream pie mixture in there that requires the speed of the vitamix to make it come out right. You drizzle in the oil and that helps turn the cashew cream all thick and rich.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to convince DH... that's a toughie. It's a lot of money, but it will bring you a lot of pleasure. The vitamix sits on our counter... it's the only machine that gets to stay out permanently. The rest of em are in the cupboards.
#7 of 17 Old 11-16-2002, 12:10 AM

After trying countless useless blenders that left my mixtures chunky when they should have been smooth, the Vitamix was wonderful! We use it for smoothies and soups mostly (several times a week) but on occasion we get a little more creative. It's a great machine. Worth it in the long run.
#8 of 17 Old 11-16-2002, 12:22 AM

BRAG:
I found one advertised in the local paper for $60 (I think that's what I paid, maybe even less.) It rocks!! Before that I'd been watching eBay, but they kept getting really expensive. Score!!
#9 of 17 Old 11-16-2002, 02:30 AM

Got mine on ebay

$150

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

If I had to throw away everything except one item in my kitchen, I would keep my vita mix.
#10 of 17 Old 11-30-2002, 04:07 AM

ok, I think I have ALMOST talked DH into buying one of these- my question is, how different is the newest model (5000) the the odler ones? I ask because you can get a 3500 model on Ebay for about $80- way cheaper than $500+. Can it do the same kind of things? Any advice would be appreciated
#11 of 17 Old 12-01-2002, 11:53 AM

I've had both the older and newer model. The differences are there, but they are not extreme. The 5000 has more power for sure.

The only thing I would worry about buying the older model is that our older model was starting to have some trouble with it's engine. I would be worried that your machine would only have a short time left in it.

The new one comes with a great warranty. Any problem for 7 years and they'll send you a new one promptly! We broke our container accidentally when we dropped it on the floor. They sent us a new container within a week. It was great!
#12 of 17 Old 12-09-2002, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Erin--
HELP!!
I bought the Vitamix 4500, but cld not find the pineapple ice-cream recipe you were raving abt, can you pls pass that on, PLEASE!!?? I've been drooling since I placed the order, so disappointed when I did not find the recipe!
OTOH, I must say I felt disappointed by the recipe book tho' I have not started using the Vitamix yet. I don't like ingreds like instant choc milk mix, etc.... Well, will give it a try and see!
Let me know your pineapple ice-cream recipe asap!! TIA!!

p.s.: Congrats on your new book!! I'm ordering one for sure.... also got your email on the vegan parenting list.... somebody forwarded it.
#13 of 17 Old 12-10-2002, 12:03 AM

Oh cool! Word on the book is spreading faster than I imagined. I even had a celebrity order today. That was cool.

Okay, here is the recipe for pineapple soft serve:

1 cup soy milk
1 pound fresh pineapple
1/2 cup fructose or other sweetener
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups ice cubes

Add to vitamix in order listed. Speed: high. Time: 30 seconds to a minute.

You'll probalby need the tamper in there from the get go.

Experiment with different soy milks. I tried rice milk and it wasn't the same as soy. Use soy for this.

Did you order through the VegFamily link? I mean, did you get the free shipping using the code on my site?
#14 of 17 Old 12-19-2002, 05:34 AM

Hey I finally got my Vitamix, and I LOVE it!! I used th free shipping code off your site- thanks Erin. I have had it three days and have already made soup (yummy), numerous smoothies and chopped veggies. My only complaint is it is so loud, that DS has a little hissy fit every time I use it! I let him watch it in action now though, and he is getting used to it.

Erin, do you have vitamix vegan recipes on your site??
#15 of 17 Old 12-19-2002, 01:46 PM

Wonderful! My toddler is scared by how loud it is too. So now she goes into her room and shuts the door and waits for it to be over. It's so cute to hear her call out, "Are you done yet Mommy?"

I have fruit smoothie recipes on my site that are tried and true. So good!
http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-pregn...-smoothies.htm

Did you make the pineapple ice cream yet?

My favorite things to make in there are ice cream, soup, hummus, cole slaw, smoothies, and vegan milkshakes. Here's my recipe for a kick butt shake:

2 scoops vanilla Soy Dream
1/2 cup of Rice Dream beverage
A long squirt from the Ahlaska Chocolate Syrup bottle.

Blend her up and voila... instant heaven! So many calories, but oh so good.
#16 of 17 Old 12-19-2002, 03:05 PM

Wow! Erin, the recipes on your site sound so good! I am going to make a smoothie this afternoon.

I was also very disappointed in VM's recipe book. It seemed really mainstream to me.

Erin, I think that *you* should write a recipe book!!!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#17 of 17 Old 12-19-2002, 07:15 PM

I would love to write the vegan version of their recipe book. Maybe I should propose the idea to them...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page