bread machine: no aluminum or teflon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it out there? i have failed again at making bread by hand, and am researching bread machines.

does anyone know of a machine whose inner pan isnt aluminum or teflon coated?

thanks, tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#2 of 7 Old 05-31-2005, 10:14 AM

This is what finally convinced me to try it by hand again! Have you seen the Tassajara Bread Book? I got it from my library and it made me a bread baker! I use my electric mixer to "stir", but I enjoy the kneading. (Did -we're gluten-free now, and I miss miss miss my ww bread!).
#3 of 7 Old 05-31-2005, 02:28 PM

I don't think such a thing exists. They are usually coated so you can pop the finished bread out easily.

Can you describe what wasn't working with your handmade bread? Honestly speaking, it took me 5 years of practice to finally come out with beautiful artisan bread. (but I really didn't try that hard since DH bakes wonderful loaves! I'm totally spoiled.)

So it does take a while to get the hang of it, but don't get discouraged. Hand made bread is like nothing else, and the results are so rewarding.

2 good books on homemade artisan bread:
Bread Alone by Daniel Leader
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
The Bread Baker's Apprentice
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...e&s=books&st=*
#4 of 7 Old 05-31-2005, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the book ideas!

well, i just got an email response from Rapunzel, who says my latest failure wasnt my fault: the recipe on the back of their organic yeast is a typo. gee, thanks.

every bread i have made is heavy. i use only WW flour, so i expect some of this, but i have tasted light sandwich-quality WW bread before and i know it is possible!

i also don't care for the very 'yeasty' flavor- i like something milder or sour. not too yeasty. i do need a book on bread i guess, as i have never read one, just used a few recipes.

another thing to buy! at least they are cheaper than bread machines.

thanks, tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#5 of 7 Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole Grain Breadmaking . Big thumbs up for this one. It's the book that finally taught me how to make WW bread that didn't double as a door stop.
#6 of 7 Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 AM

i'm glad you figured out the yeast typo!

FYI - the type of wheat you grind definitely makes a difference in the weight of the loaf. hard white wheat (not white flour, haha) makes a lighter loaf but still gives you the whole-wheatiness.

and SAF instant yeast works the best too. good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 06-01-2005, 10:35 PM
NEE

I too thought I was going to have to abandon my bread maker when I learned about Teflon off-gassing at high temps. What I do now is use the bread maker to make the dough then bake the bread in the oven. I've used the generic "dough" function for all kinds of breads (including whole wheat) as well as pizza dough and have had great results. You have to be around at a few more points during the whole process, but I think it's worth it for that amazing smell of baking bread...

Here's what I do:
Put ingred. in bread maker pan.
Set on "dough" function. Come back 1.5 hours later.
Pour dough out onto floured surface.
Shape into loaf shape. Put in lightly-oiled loaf pan.
Cover with tea towel and let rise for 30-45 min. (til doubled).
Pre-heat oven to 375. Bake for about 30 min.
Cool bread a bit, slice, slather with butter and fight children off to be sure I get least one piece before it's gone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page