Sugar-free wannabes - June! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another day, another month, and I'm going to try REALLY hard this time!

I decided to keep a food diary so I can try and work out why my health changes sometimes. And when I was writing it, I realised that I there was sugar in the breakfast cereal I ate yesterday so I'm back at day 1!

I'm not really discouraged though as I'm starting to see it as a heck of a long journey. As for the 1 day at a time thing, I guess that's how I'm taking it, but I'm hoping that one day I just won't eat any sugar ever any more. At the moment, I still allow myself to think that for example at Christmas I'll allow myself some treats, but I'm really hoping that in general I just won't want the sugar any more. I'm hoping that I just won't enjoy the flavour any more.

Eventually...

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 AM

I decided to keep a food log today also, should I post here, elsewhere or is that to boring? I thought if I posted it, it may keep me in line!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmile
I decided to keep a food log today also, should I post here, elsewhere or is that to boring? I thought if I posted it, it may keep me in line!
Someone started a thread just for what we're eating here, that would be a good place to post your food diary! I need to get myself in gear and post there too

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
Old 06-01-2005, 10:26 AM

I won't be officially sugar-free again until Monday as I have finals and there are grad parties galore. I am here and listening, soaking up the good advice and convo.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 PM

June is going to be a GREAT month--I can feel it!

I like the idea of keeping a food diary too........
As for the one day at a time: my dh asks me this question all the time---"ARE YOU NEVER GOING TO LET POOR ARI HAVE SUGAR??!!"
I am hopipng , like someone else just said, that eventually we will lose our taste for it and treats will just seem TOO sweet. I'm hoping.......ans hoping....

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 PM

this time I am in for the long haul. My ds has been having some behavior problems that I think are due to sugar. We have to stop having it in our house. Im glad that it is farmers market season so we can go get some great deals on fruit and veggies, which my ds loves if there is no sugar.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

God I am craving chocolate today! There is some in the fridge which I brought back from the UK for the kids so for that reason alone I shouldn't eat it! Actually, if it wasn't for them and special, I would throw it away. They are not supposed to eat it until the weekend, I don't know if I can resist that long....thinking about this is making it worse....

Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenciel
God I am craving chocolate today! There is some in the fridge which I brought back from the UK for the kids so for that reason alone I shouldn't eat it! Actually, if it wasn't for them and special, I would throw it away. They are not supposed to eat it until the weekend, I don't know if I can resist that long....thinking about this is making it worse....
Since we are doing so well I'm experienting with my diet a little for the first time in well...over a year! I made some very healthy chocolate: coconut oil, raw butter, stevia and Wonder Cocoa (it's caffeine free). It tastes awesome, but it does start cravings, something I'm pretty much free of most days. I can only have little of this chocolate at a time, with almond butter, but thankfully DS is not reacting to it, and neither am I.

Continuing the discussion at the end of May re: looking at my life down the road being sugar free:

I guess it was "easier" for me to totally give up sugar in some ways... but much much harder in others due to DS's eczema and yeast issues. There was no way I was going to give up bf'ing him so here we are after a long road. I'm still also white flour and refined carb free now, so it's been that much more difficult. Was pretty much *everything* free for about 6 months, then went to cultured dairy and we seemed to do fine and then started reintroducing foods.

I think I learned an important lesson going through this struggle with DS. I would have done anything to help him, that was a strong motivator. But I actually healed myself in the process too of several health problems. I found NT and completely put the vegetarian lifestyle behind me and feel so much better for it.

That is how I see my life... eating healthy food and being balanced. And becoming healthy enough to be able to eat sugar maybe once or twice a week without becoming a slave to cravings. This is what I'd like to teach my child to do as well. But for now, I'm SO happy he has no idea what lollipops and candy are at age 2 and that's a rarity IRL around here.

I'd like to read Sugar Blues, just the few excerpts from the book in Nourishing Traditions are very thought provoking. I don't think I'll ever cook with white sugar again in my lifetime. Who wants to start a Sugar Blues book club??
Old 06-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Still sugar free here and down 15lbs since I started!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stacee! Down 15 pounds? Wow!!! Good for you! (I've lost 4-5. More to come off soon, I hope!)

JaneS, thought you might be interested to know that since I've been sugar free, DDs eczema has completely cleared up. Coincidence? I don't think so. But why would just cutting sugar do this for her? I do think my yeast problems are mostly at bay right now, but I'll have to wait till next month's cycle comes around to see whether they surface again. Any insight you have on the eczema/sugar issue would be greatly appreciated.

I loved Sugar Blues when I read it, but I am with someone else here who said that some of his claims are a bit out there. I mean, he even blames traffic accidents on sugar and I, pale as can be, am also not trying out his theory about sun. I also think he goes a bit far in suggesting food combining and some pretty radical diet changes that wouldn't work for me, anyway.

Arcenciel - I noticed you asked about food combining in another thread. I have read in more than one place (not just NT) that it has been pretty much debunked. I wondered the same thing though when I first read the book. I guess you could always experiment for yourself and see if particular combos cause you any trouble. But, I think the scientific basis has never been found.

Another sugar-free day for me!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaE
JaneS, thought you might be interested to know that since I've been sugar free, DDs eczema has completely cleared up. Coincidence? I don't think so. But why would just cutting sugar do this for her? I do think my yeast problems are mostly at bay right now, but I'll have to wait till next month's cycle comes around to see whether they surface again. Any insight you have on the eczema/sugar issue would be greatly appreciated.
I'm very happy to hear this! Well not exactly happy but YKWIM

I haven't seen many people say this and I really do think it's really the tip of the iceberg with eczema/food allergies issues that many people have. My naturopath never thought it was the case until we proved it to her with tests and when I first started reintroducing foods and got a huge relapse after seeing no reactions for quite some time. Letting sugar back in was like a forest fire like nothing else.

Candida creates leaky gut. This lets whole proteins that are not properly digested into the bloodstream... thus creating an autoimmune response... and therefore food allergies. And food allergies are certainly a recognized cause of eczema. Yeast also releases a toxin, the word starts with an "a" that my feeble mama brain cannot remember right now.

Since breastmilk is made from the elements in your bloodstream, the theory that whole food proteins can pass through to your milk certainly makes sense. And many mamas who go dairy free for their babes see this... but don't necessarily connect with the fact that it is probably a leaky gut problem that is the central cause. B/c really breastmilk's proteins are supposed to be broken down to such an extent as to reduce allergies.

My unique experience (IBS, nipple thrush while bf'ing, and also a bladder problem called interstitital cystitis) really helped nail it down when all occured together with DS's eczema flares, several times. I ramble on and on about it here: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=260393

Therefore, I really don't view food allergies as something definate. As in, my child is dairy allergic and will be the rest of their lives. I think allergies are merely symptoms of the total problem ... that the gut is not doing it's job as it should. There is a reason for allergies. And therefore, the gut can be changed by healing it and building it up with probiotics and fermented foods. At least that's what I'm trying to do now and have seen success with. Both of us have come a long way. And of course, there is the removal of my mercury fillings, but that's for another thread.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 PM

So glad to find this thread!

I was sugar-free for the year before we conceived ds, but began having some sugar again during pregnancy. In the early part, I'd eat whatever seemed appealing through the nausea, and in the last trimester, it was those chocolate milkshake cravings. And of course, after ds was born, we were given lots of meals, including sweet breads and muffins and desserts.

So, this is good motivation to go sugar free again! Yesterday I tossed the last of the gift brownies and made a milk/banana/carob shake instead.

My experience has been that after awhile, sugar totally loses its appeal. If I have some anyway, it gives me a headache and I feel lousy. But having it just once gets me wanting it all over again, so for now I do best with total avoidance. I prefer to avoid all refined flour, too, but it does get hard...
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 PM

hi ladies
and welcome to all the new sugar frees!
i am still going strong
sometimes i feel clostrophobia food wise b/c it feels like i am so limited (i am no sugar o f any form, white flor, and dairy)

but i am eating an insane variety of beans, veggies and seeds

and moma E
my pound are melting off my body
and i have not gone on a walk or any exersice in about a week b/c of rain storms

so i am excited to see how skinny i get when can get out and walk again

craving choc
but being good
love
s
Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 PM

How has everybody steared clear of cravings and emotional eating. I can stay away from sugar(most months), can avoid bread (with some cheating, but not much), but it is the fruits that kill me. I just have a hard time with this. I am battling candida and i am trying to convince myself that for me fruit is toxic for my body right now and that when i beat the yeasts fruit will be healthy again.

What makes you be sugar free? How do you stay away from the cravings? JaneS you said..
I think I learned an important lesson going through this struggle with DS. I would have done anything to help him, that was a strong motivator. But I actually healed myself in the process too of several health problems. I found NT and completely put the vegetarian lifestyle behind me and feel so much better for it.

That is a great motivator. I would like to hear some more.

I can see sugar as a toxin and that is why it is easier for me to stay away from it, hard to do with fruit though...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:42 AM

remember how i said i was a having a good day, well then i had to go the grocery store (and dh watched dd while i did...so i felt peaceful and a little bit of longing for REAL freedom and excitment ....you know more than just a 45 mintue solo grocery run, which is it for my ability for freedom and excitment...)
so i turned the radio up loud, and listened to old songs from my previous young and single life
and then
(this is where i get real low)
i walk slowly around the store from sugar treat to sugar treat
and pick them up and hold them in my hands and read the lables and jus tput them down
slowly
i did choc fudge brownie icecream, cookies, deli cakes, you name it
i did all the sugar sections

i left the store with eggs and milk an hr later!

i wished i could have called my "sponser" if i were in AA you know?

"hi i am standing at the doorway of my old bar and i see all my friends having my fav old drinks, can't i just go in and smell them?"

so i felt wacko
way more than usual

and i ate tons of protien today (eggs, hummus, beans, 2 peices of fish last night for dinner)

but i wanted SOMETHING

so that is where my emotional eating comes in

i am longing for something
and for the longest time, a candy bar was the easiest, safest, thing i could get that made me feel like i was doing SOMETHING fun and exciting just for me...

and just being at the grocery store by myself was anough to trigger this DESIRE for personal excitement and fullfilment (outside of being a mom, which i LOVE) that i have been squelching
since the birth of my dd (about 2 years ago)

does anyone ever feel like there is no me?

how is that for some emotional eating issues?

but i guess, if you actualy got through all this rambling, you witnessed a break through:
i have got to convince my dh to take dd on a reg basis so i can do something fun for me
or i am going to freak out!

still sugar free one month and counting!
Old 06-03-2005, 04:03 AM

I am overcoming a life long sugar addiction. As a 2yr. old I remember eating white sugar straight, adults would give me the thick coffee/sugar sludge at the bottoms of their cups regularly and on my third birthday I found in my room a stuffed dog literally shrink wrapped with hard candies around it. I ate most of them before my parents got up These are most of my earliest memories.

2 whole days sugar free (this is a big deal sadly enough)
Old 06-03-2005, 05:33 AM

I sooo want to be sugar free, can i join you? It might help me to talk with others doing it too. Im really addicted to sugar and I feel yucky all the time. I have been sugar free before when I was PG with my 2nd child because I had GD, so for about 12 weeks I had no sugar, white flour etc and felt so great, also when my DD was born (a healthy 7lb 11oz) I was thinner than I had been before my 1st pregnancy 5 years earlier.

greensmile, my parents used to give me that sugar/coffee sludge too , no wonder Im addicted to sugar lol

Mama to 3

Old 06-03-2005, 09:27 AM

Jane, I'd love a Sugar Blues book club. I read it a few years ago, but I need to read it again.

Welcome Mamajea!

I am preparing to jump on the sugar-free bandwagon. I am going completely sugar/flour free for a week to detox after grad parties and then I'll be back on my usual NT regime with a focus on coconut oil, fresh veggies and fruits.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 AM

nak

hi mamas, can i join in? i have never managed to go more than a few days without sugar so i need some serious inspiration. can anyone point me to articles online that will remind me why i want/need to quit?

also, is sugar in itself fattening? or is it the stuff it's usually contained in? i haven't been able to shift a lot of my prenancy weight since dd, however much i exercise or eat less. i'm veggie and eat extremely well except for the cheese, bread (wholewheat) and sugar i have a hard time giving up.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:00 AM

Depending on how sugar-sensitive you are, the influx of insulin when sugar and refined foods are digested can cause an excess insulin response which can lead to extra fat. But, IMO, I don't think any food is fattening in the way the low-fat experts have pushed for the last two decades.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse
nak
can anyone point me to articles online that will remind me why i want/need to quit?
Here's a good start!

http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar...s_of_sugar.htm
Old 06-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone! Lots of new mommies too - that's great - the more support, the better!

Someone asked about cravings... cravings are a demon I just had to battle for the first several days. I think I just had to make a choice that I was going to do this - no matter what. Someone here said they had lost 5 pounds in the first week of being sugar-free. That was enough for me to take the one week challenge. Well, I didn't lose 5 pounds, but I was pretty much free of cravings by then and it became much easier to continue. (I lost 3-4 pounds.) Another thing I did for cravings was eat lots of protein. I ate protein with every snack and meal and I always ate it first. Another thing that satiates is good fat - coconut, butter (debatable by some), olive oil, flax oil, fish & fish oil. Don't skimp - it will help you through the early days. I also used potatoes and fruit to get me through the worst cravings.

VegMom, I was also battling yeast. I never did go on a strict candida diet. Cutting sugar out was hard enough, and I have seen a major improvement in my symptoms and DDs. If your yeast isn't serious, you might be able to eat some fruit. Here's what I did: cut out most grains - ate maybe 1 serving a day, cut back on dairy - 1-2 servings a day, ate fewer fruits - 2 a day?, ate absolutely no added sweeteners - natural or not. 3 weeks later, I saw my symptoms abate and DDs eczema is gone. Her eczema cleared the last time I was sugar free for 6 weeks so I am beginning to get a clue that sugar is putting something out of whack for us. JaneS is the one who suggested the sugar/yeast/eczema connection to me. The only way for me to know for sure would be to go back on sugar, but I am not ready to do that right now - I feel too good!

I have to share my testimonial, too. I just have to say - I feel 100 times better than I did a month ago. This is one month sugar free for me!!!! I can't believe I did it and when I started the thread last month I was in a very low place and wouldn't have believed I could make so much progress in a month. I had gained weight. I was depressed. I was feeling like everything in my life was amiss. I couldn't control my eating - it was all I thought about all day long - when could I get my next sugar fix. I wasn't exercising. I wasn't getting out and seeing people as much. I was paranoid about things. I wasn't happy staying home and being a mom. There was a black cloud over all of me.

Today, all those things have been reversed. I've lost about 6-7 pounds. I'm not depressed at all anymore. I'm happy to be a SAHM again. I don't think about eating all the time. I'm much more optimistic. I'm getting out and seeing all the people I used to see and some new ones too. The cloud has lifted. That's not to say there won't be tough days again but being sugar-free has made a tremendous difference!!!

Gotta go, DDs awake. Happy Sugar-Free Friday everyone!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM

well I am doing pretty good. I am first starting to cut out white sugar, but still using natural sweeteners like honey and molasses. Things are going pretty good this way so far. I was amazed that I really didnt miss sugar in my oatmeal this morning with the added molasses. That and I got the extra iron and calcium goods that go with the molasses
Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome all the new sugar-frees. This is a great place to be!

On Sugar Blues, I wanted to add some comments. The main one being that it was published in 1975 and if you keep that in mind when reading it, it stops a lot of the negative thoughts. Almost all the ideas must have been groundbreaking then and some have been proved or disproven more thoroughly since he wrote it.

After 4 months not sugar-free but on a lot less sugar than before, I have just noticed that my nails are a lot stronger and healthier than before.

In sugar blues he mentions something about less cramps around af - has anyone noticed this? I can't say I've had any recently, but I never had them real bad before either....

MamaE - on food combining, I've ordered a book about the oriental theory of it (or something) which goes way back. I'm quite interested in the idea that eating any kind of sugar (i.e. including fruits) with anything else causes problems, but I'll let you know... I couldn't manage to wait 20 minutes after my melon at lunchtime so I don't know.

Moma Justice, yes. You have reached a new level of sad. I know what you mean though. I was the same yesterday about the chocolate in the fridge. And the flavoured chips in the store that have sugar in them....

I am really starting to notice the mood effects of sugar in my dc's since I don't have them so much myself - though even with fruit I am noticing the swings. I am really committed to getting them mostly off sugar too, but I am taking it one step at a time. Does anyone have any "exciting breakfast" ideas for them instead of their weekend chocolate breakfast cereal? I don't even mind them having something that's not all that healthy, but I'd like to start getting them off the cereal...

Old 06-03-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenciel
In sugar blues he mentions something about less cramps around af - has anyone noticed this? I can't say I've had any recently, but I never had them real bad before either....
Wow, I NEVER get cramps anymore. Really! I guess I've been so busy I haven't even noticed.

Granted I've also been taking evening primrose oil along with DS so it's possible that sugar is not the only cause.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moma justice
i walk slowly around the store from sugar treat to sugar treat
and pick them up and hold them in my hands and read the lables and jus tput them down
slowly
i did choc fudge brownie icecream, cookies, deli cakes, you name it
i did all the sugar sections
:

I do this ALL the time!!!!

I mean, because of DS's eczema and our digestion issues I simply cannot have sugar and I've accepted that and really don't have cravings. That much. Well mostly. :LOL

But I shop at Whole Foods and their bakery is to die for. I can not even be tempted by crappy boxed cookies, my husband's ice cream in the freezer or a cake from a regular grocery store, but the WF stuff is incredible and boy do I remember how great they taste.

So instead of eating, I gaze upon the deliciousness.... Strangely though I don't feel sad when I leave. I'm sure there is more to this. Perhaps it's because I'm in control now.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:14 PM

First of all , sorry about all the posts I'm making here, it's just easier for me.

And well... I AM getting close to senior member too :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse
nak

hi mamas, can i join in? i have never managed to go more than a few days without sugar so i need some serious inspiration. can anyone point me to articles online that will remind me why i want/need to quit?

also, is sugar in itself fattening? or is it the stuff it's usually contained in? i haven't been able to shift a lot of my prenancy weight since dd, however much i exercise or eat less. i'm veggie and eat extremely well except for the cheese, bread (wholewheat) and sugar i have a hard time giving up.

This is a good article on the affect on the body of eating sugar thoughout the day.
http://www.westonaprice.org/transition/sugars.html

It is very fattening b/c it causes your blood sugar to rise quickly... then that causes your pancreas to pump out insulin to lower it. Insulin pushes the sugar into the cells (that is what it was designed to do) to lower the blood sugar... and therefore high insulin causes you to gain weight. Think of Type 2 diabetics, they get diabetes b/c they are producing so much insulin their bodies stop responding to it. And they are all overweight. In fact, lowering your weight by 10% has been proven to halt Type 2 in its early stages.

If you have a more even blood sugar, the sugar gets used up by your activity level, and less gets pushed into the cells as storage (leading to fat).

Type 1 diabetics are the people who have a problem with their pancreas that they are not producing enough insulin. Their blood sugar gets sky high and they spill sugar out with their urine. Because of the hormone insulin deficiency, the sugar cannot be taken up by the body's cells. They are always very thin (Mary Tyler Moore).

Reading about diabetes will help anyone give up sugar!
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndi.../diabetes.html
Old 06-03-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmom
What makes you be sugar free? How do you stay away from the cravings? JaneS you said..

That is a great motivator. I would like to hear some more.

I can see sugar as a toxin and that is why it is easier for me to stay away from it, hard to do with fruit though...
Hear more about DS & his eczema?
That's here:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=260393

Or more about becoming an omnivore?
Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 AM

I'd like to know more about being an omnivore!! eeek!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Old 06-04-2005, 04:16 AM

Often the sugar I consumed came with a lot of fat- ice cream/chocolate etc.. What I'm noticing now is how much other stuff has sugar. I got some Alpsnacks for my kids and they have some kind of sugar, so did the organic toaster waffles they had (with yogurt on them). So do a lot of condiments.

User Tag List