June Thread for NT Mamas - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 168 Old 06-22-2005, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, popping in here after months and months of just lurking. I posted probably once or twice before but since becoming pregnant I have been spending most of my MDC time over in the October expecting mamas board.

I read over all the posts for this month. It was great to see all the posts on balancing the NT diet with other diets and tweaking it towards your own needs. I find that I also gain weight when I eat any grains. Also, when I eat grains, especially in the morning it seems to cause cravings for that kind of food all day long.

Being pregnant I'm not exactly trying to lose weight, but I still try to stay away from grains. I do eat them sometimes, especially when we are out of fruits and veggies and need to use what's in the house. But I just don't feel well if I eat grains often. Which is sad, because I love them . But I start retaining water like crazy when I eat them.

I have a whole bunch of grass-fed beef soup bones in my freezer that I'm going to pull out tonite to make some stock. I feel so lucky to finally have found a few great sources of grass-fed raw dairy, beef, pork. Also pastuered eggs. I found it about 2 months into my pregnancy. I drink a ton of raw milk, I feel like I can't get enough of it.

Like a lot of you have mentioned, I too feel so much better when I am eating lots and lots of fruits and veggies. We are running low on the moment until next payday in a week and I feel yucky. We do have some broccoli, cauliflower and turnip greens, that will get us through a few days. But we will have no fruit or veggies for about 3 days, I can't stand it.

Anyone know a good recipe for turnip greens? I've never had them before.

Oh, and I started taking CLO during this pregnancy. I actually had my Vit D levels tested. I was having muscle aches, bone aches, and fatigue (way before this pregnancy) and I feel absolutely amazing compared to my last pregnancy and even compared to when I wasn't pregnancy. Since I was so low on it I am still taking it although it is summer in Florida. I don't really go out at the peak sunlight hours, and don't even go outside everyday. When we swim it's usually around 6pm in the shade.

#152 of 168 Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
When starting a candida cleanse (a long term cleanse) for the first two weeks it is essential to elminate all fermented foods.

Then over the period of six weeks you reintroduce ferments one at a time with nutritional support.

If someone has an abundance of candida to the point that it is systemic, one would eliminate ferments for up to four weeks.

This includes all ferments, including yougurt, kefir and lacto fermented veg.

This is the protocol that was taught to me in my herbal training and that I use when counselling clients with candida issues.

It is important to find out how extreme a candida situation is, in order to take the best possible route to bring the flora back to balance.
so how do you do this exactly....dd has been battling diaper rash since oct..so am wondering if perhaps the two are connected...I would like to try a diet but haven't a clue what to eat....
#153 of 168 Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 PM

I know this has been discussed before but I'm curious again to know what supps y'all are taking. I'm off all supps right now. Tho I am drinking about a cup of bone broth a day with 1 tbs home-made gelatin added. Which I actually am beginning to consider a supplement after all the reading I've done on broth and the minerals therein. As well as 1 tbsp ACV daily. But I'm thinking I'd like to start taking an acutal mineral supp and then perhaps get back to either CLO or fish oil. And maybe some probiotic.

Anyone else?
#154 of 168 Old 06-24-2005, 07:00 PM

I don't really do supplements. I do make probiotic yogurt which we eat daily, but that's it for now. Wait, and lots of nutritional yeast for the B vitamins and ground flax nearly daily. I do want to up my magnesium intake. I would rather just increase my intake via diet, though...does anyone know what foods contain the most magnesium?
#155 of 168 Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 PM
cjr

I don't take any suppliments. I have some vitamin B12, calcium and evening primrose oil hanging around but I never remember to take them. I'm a big believer on eating a healthy diet and getting your vitamins and minerals that way. A diet with a lot of variety. I am considering taking CLO, but I'm just not willing to pay a lot of money for suppliments. Since I started working out and eating lots of fruit and vegetables, I feel very healthy and full of energy and I think that's a good indication that the balance is right.
#156 of 168 Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 PM

These are my "supplements".

I made youghurt, femented veg, etc for probiotics.

We have chlorella and spirulina daily as well as bee pollen.

We take hemp oil, cod liver oil, and coconut oil daily. Also olive oil occasionally as well as cultured butter.

I drink a daily tonic of ACV, a tincture of several herbs for liver support and female wellness and cayenne pepper and kelp.

I drink several varities of teas depending on my needs, such as high calcium tea, nerve support, digestive issues, blood and kidney wellness.

I take a homeopathic cell salts formula occasionally when my system runs down due to over excertion such as my volunteer day at the garden or a hike carrying a large pack.

AS well I have a raw liver "smoothy" once or twice a month.

I dry skin brush and practice hydrotherapy daily.

#157 of 168 Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
so how do you do this exactly....dd has been battling diaper rash since oct..so am wondering if perhaps the two are connected...I would like to try a diet but haven't a clue what to eat....
More than likely the rash is connected to yeast. This is a large, very vast subject. Here is a link to a great book to read. Please ask if you have any questions at all.

This crowd definately knows their stuff.

http://www.fungusfocus.com/html/book...andidiasis.htm
#158 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 01:47 AM

What is ACV??
#159 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 01:56 AM

Apple Cider Vinegar.... here is a link...

http://www.bragg.com/products/applecidervinegar.html
#160 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 02:15 AM

ah yes....hehe..I love that stuff....although if I am battling yeast I am not supposed to eat/drink vinegar....according to my book.....but I have also read from Bragg's that vinegar is good for yeast...what do you think?
#161 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 10:44 AM

ACV is the one exception to the vinegar rule. If it is unpasterized, raw and organic the apple cider vinegar is super beneficial to the system becuase it alkalizes the body. Candida thrives in a acidic environment, thus cannot thrive in an alkaline system. ACV helps to keep the ph of the body alkaline.

Amoung a trillion other atributes :LOL
#162 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 11:50 AM

one thing that I have noticed is that all the foods that my dd reacts too..are acidic...
tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, pineapple, strawberries...etc...
#163 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 12:09 PM

How old is your dd?

The foods you mentioned can be aggravating to a developing digestive system. Do you have your dd on a probiotic supplement or is she having homemade youghurt daily?

Are you nursing? If you are you may find you have to eliminate the above foods too.
#164 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 12:11 PM

I just read your signature line and it said she is 22 months.

Definately research candida based issues in toddlers. If you haven't already try to read through the power of probiotic thread, it is long but worth it.

#165 of 168 Old 06-25-2005, 12:34 PM

she does get acidophilus...not daily..i am not that consistent...she loves the kefir and yogurt shakes I make...

What is the link to the probiotic thread...I think I have read that one but not sure...

I did notice that lately..when she had eaten one of the above..within 45 mins she will have a poopy diaper....
#166 of 168 Old 06-27-2005, 01:55 PM

I made the flourless carob cake for DS's birthday. It tasted great, but was flat. It fell twice, I just put the second on top of the first. I frosted it with just whipped cream. My birthday is this weekend so we are going to try the carrot this time, carrot is my favorite anyway.

I am started some cucumbers fermenting last night. I am also making kombucha (?) tea. I am waiting on some kefir grains to get here. I am really excited to get these things going.

Hopefully I will be getting some goats milk to try in a couple of weeks, DH has never had it and he is the real milk drinker, but I figure I could make other things out of it if he doesn't like it to drink.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#167 of 168 Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 PM
cjr

The carrot cake is delicious. I made it for ds's birthday and it's soooo moist and wonderful.
#168 of 168 Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 PM

I just made the gingersnaps. They are, in fact, cooling as I write. But, hehe, I already tried a couple. And they were . I think, of the three types of cookies I've made, these are by far the best!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page