June Thread for NT Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hee! Mountain Mom said I could. Here is the link for the May thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 PM

Hey Selu!

Happy June everyone, ours came in with rain, thank goodness.

Oh and Selu, I meant put a link on the may thread to link here, so all the subscribers would know to come here instead.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I knew, that why I did not do that I am not sure. My brain is fried. :LOL
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Old 06-03-2005, 11:20 AM

HI! Just started saurkraut (sp?) for the first time yesterday. I hope it works. I have been so interested in fermenting, but finally got brave enough to try something. Also almost have my garden in (first garden of my very own) and am so excited. I walk through it every morning. What a wonderful way to wake up!! Hope everyone is enjoying the beginnings of summer!

Oh a question about the kraut. I didn't have anything to hold it down with so I just keep occasionaly pushing it back down under the juice is this ok?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 PM

Hi all,

I am relatively new to NT/WAPF we've joined a co-op that gets us raw milk, buttermilk, grass fed meat and the most wonderful orange-yolk eggs. I have been soaking our oatmeal and pancakes and even tried liver (uh...not so great )

I have been giving my 19 month old CLO (Nordic Naturals, about 1750 IU's Vitamin A per tsp) and found that her skin is softer, eczema patches healed, and she's gained weight. Great! I really like this whole approach to eating and children.

Here's my question: When giving kids cod liver oil, especially if we switch to the high-vitamin kind, what do you do about the other vitamin and minerals? I like to give my kids a multi because it seems to boost their immunity and energy. But I don't feel safe giving them such an enormous daily dose of Vitamin A. (CLO + multi) Rainbow Light for kids has both Vitamin A palminate and beta carotene, but it doesn't tell how much of one vs. the other.

Am I making any sense? How do you guys supplement other vit/minerals for young children, if at all?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat

Oh a question about the kraut. I didn't have anything to hold it down with so I just keep occasionaly pushing it back down under the juice is this ok?
Fill an appropriate sized bag full of brine water (in case it breaks) and use that as the weight to press the kraut down. According to Sandor the weight is an important part of the kraut preparation.

Also skim the top for mold often.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:15 PM

Hi mamas. Signing on
Who is Sandor?

So I got my kefir grains and they are working...I can't really stomach it; I guess I have to psych myself into enjoying it. I just keep thinking it is rotting milk, sitting out on the counter for days... just a little grossed out. It is fine in my smoothies, though, so it is being used. My ds drank some and liked it, he is calling it "old milk." :LOL The batch I strained last night was made w a smaller amount of milk (I ran out) for a longer time, and it was THICK and smelled seriously yeasty, like bread dough. So I am thinking it will be excellent for using in waffles and maybe other quick breads.....

Happy June! The cicadas are going strong already, here; this morning they started up full blast before dawn. I found a huge organic farm only about 35 miles from me and I am looking forward to running over there and filling some bushel baskets and two coolers...I plan to ferment a LOT of stuff and will also get canning going on. I can't raise much here by the river, and there are NO organics available here locally. SO I will feel so much better when I get my freezer and pantry stocked w clean whole foods.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:25 PM

Sandor Katz....he wrote Wild Fermentation.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:14 PM

mamamillie -- try a kefir smoothie with fruit and stevia. It's very good. I can't drink it straight myself.

In about six weeks our freezer will be full of grassfed beef. A local rancher grazes his cattle on land that is watered year-round. They have water rights to the streams and water their land to save on hay and grain costs (I assume). They aren't doing the grassfed thing for health reasons. I talked to him about what a gold mine they have and that they need to market the beef to our market, not just take them to a regular auction. I got his attention with the prices of beef. In the meantime, he just called us with one that's available.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:33 PM

Well, I just finished the best sandwich ever, and wanted to brag. It was kimchi and raw cheddar on two slices of homemade 100% whole wheat sourdough bread toasted and spread with organic butter.
Mmmmmmmm . . . I think I'm in love with kimchi. It's sure staving off the morning sickness . . .

. . . was that too subtle?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 PM

HEY!!!!

(non-alcoholic)

:stork

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, HerthElde!

Question... can I soak my oatmeal in yogurt? Overnight covered lightly but on the counter? I am thinking yes, but wanna get feedback.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 PM

Yup I have done it. The only thing is when you cook the oatmeal tomorrow the good beasties will not survive.

But the phytate bond will be broken.

Can you seperate the yougurt?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Into cheese and whey? Yep, I do that often. I could live on yogurt cheese, but that's another post.

I am not cooking the oats. I've been doing thick oats with yogurt, desiccated coconut and a touch of honey soaked for a minute in the AM, but not over night. It's really, really good.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:13 AM

Congratulations HerthElde!!!

(I'm LOL at kimchee and cheese though! But my mom swears that in Korea they serve kimchee as a pizza topping.)
Old 06-04-2005, 08:07 PM

Blessings HerthElde. I'm in for that sandwich!

We always soak our oatmeal in yogurt. I add lots of raw ginger, dried ground cardomom and a handful of coconut to the muesli recipe. We eat it with chopped apples and raisins and coconut or almond milk. Delish.

This morning we began our day with soaked kamut pancakes and organic, uncured turkey bacon. Later I'll be tasting the almond cookies. They're cooling in the kitchen right now. Have a good weekend mamas.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:52 AM

Congratulations HerthElde! That's fantastic!

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:26 AM

Hi everyone! Couldn't quite decide where to post this, and figured some of you might know. Our younger dd's doctor is of course telling us to give her tri-vi-sol (she's 2.5 months old). Last time I blew that off, but my older dd has a lot of tooth decay and a very...narrow bone structure, and since reading *Nutrition and Physical Degeneration* I wonder if that could be due to mineral deficiencies. So knowing what I do now about how high the need is and the limited seasonal UV at our latitude (esp. when I am also shading my dd's fair skin), I am reluctant to blow it off again. But I really don't want to give her sugary vitamin syrup, either.

So...does anyone know if it is safe/healthy to give an infant Cod Liver Oil? If so, how much to give? Or do you have some other, minimalist (I would prefer to delay all food but for my concern about vit. D) supplement suggestion?

Oye Yemaya oloto
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 PM

Since we live in the north, I started supplementing in the winter with natural vitamin D capsules from fish oil. I just pierced the capsule with the tine of a fork and squirted it in his mouth. There was no way I was going to give him that crappy vitamin sludge either, and made by a formula co. too!

DS went on 1/2 tsp. cod liver oil when he was 8 mo old px'd by a naturopath for his eczema, I don't know about giving it earlier.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:37 PM

I've been cooking with/using fish sauce more often and was just reading about how it's made here:
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/fea...ishsauce1.html
It's a fermented food, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's processed when it's bottled?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM

Hi all! I have been following the NT threads for a while now, and just wanted to jump in and say Hi and that you are all so inspiring! I started some grains soaking this morning to make an Ezekial bread tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes! I also have a sourdough starter that I have been using for almost a year, so I feel good knowing I am already doing something NT. Anyway, I just wanted to jump in and continue learning from you all! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:53 PM

Glad to meet some other NT mamas! My husband persuaded me to try eating the NT way after several years as a lacto-ovo veg. and I've felt much better for it. We raise our own chickens for eggs and meat and goats for milk, and luckily have a good source of grass fed beef. This thread is inspiring me to get back to making fermented veggies again; we love the cortido.

Here's a question: Do you save the fat from your chicken stocks? If so, how do you store it and what do you do with it?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

I just made my first bone broth from chicken! I am too excited. I skimmed off the fat, Alamama, but I am not sure what I will do with it. For now, it's in a jar in the fridge.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:19 AM

Welcome Alamama!

I use the fat for frying as well for Baked beans.

Sometimes I skim the fat and sometimes I don't it really depends on what kind of soup I am going to make from the stock.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:57 AM

Thanks, Jane!

Oye Yemaya oloto
Old 06-11-2005, 07:47 PM

Pancake help needed, ladies.

I've made the basic pancakes 3 times now. 1st time they were great. 2nd time they were inedible. Burnt on the outside because no matter how long I cooked them they remained a sodden mess inside. 3rd time they were somewhere between first and second time. Anybody have any ideas? They seem to take a long time to cook on the inside. How does one get them fully cooked without burning them?

On a more successful note I made the Indian lamb stew last night and it was delicious. The spices added a subtlety to the flavor and the marination of the lamb in yogurt made for meat the one could cut with a fork.

I think I'm going to try make the chicken liver pate next. I do like pate but haven't been able to bring myself to eat what is sold in the stores. Who knows what's in there YK. The NT recipe looks rather good and not too complicated. Plus it'll be loaded with natural vitamin A.

Slowly, slowly I'm learning to accommodate the prep time into my days. It's a really satisfying feeling to sit down to a meal that took longer than half an hour to make, that actually took more than a day to make YK. I like that alot. I like this rhythm around food and the preparation of it. There is something infinitely sane about it in the context of our larger, busier world.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *solsticemama*
I think I'm going to try make the chicken liver pate next.
Mmmm, I was just looking at this... let us know how it comes out!

I also want to report that after a couple of week "aging" in the frig. the ketchup I made (and complained about) was finally NOT too fishy. Well maybe a little more than I like, but definately edible and very savoury.

I made the Eggplant Kiku (with farm fresh eggs) and it is delish.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:44 PM

Just popping in to say: I've been wondering more about fish sauce too, since it is a fermented food. Does anyone know? Perhaps I'll do a web search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
I've been cooking with/using fish sauce more often and was just reading about how it's made here:
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/fea...ishsauce1.html
It's a fermented food, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's processed when it's bottled?

User Tag List