Snacks for after swimteam practice??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is starting swim team this Monday. She is already a super picky eater. I have told her that I will have a snack right after practice(11:45-12:45) and then lunch when we get home.

I bought a 12c pack of Gatorade(I know, I also hate the cornsyrup), and am planning on her eating a 1/2 PB sandwhich, or a trailmix. She frowned at these ideas.

Any suggestions? I will be fixing lunch when we get home, but due to her low BS levels, I need her to get a head start on her protein.

TIA!!!

mp
#2 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 AM

After swim practice I was so ravenous! I mean, I could eat two huge sandwiches and only then feel satisifed. She definitely needs something.

PB is great, and how about cheese and maybe some turkey breast? I agree with you on the protein thing.

Good luck with your picky eater!
#3 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 11:12 AM

When I swam in HS, I was super hungry, too, but not so healthy. We were told to eat as many healthy calories as possible (I could never eat the amount recommended by our coach even with all of the junk food I ate). Also, since your dd is young, don't skip out on the healthy carbohydrates; they are what make brains function and give energy.

I have seen sports drinks at the HFS that do not include corn syrup. My dh recommends Lucozade (sp?) because it is supposed to be a better balance of minerals and sugars to hydrate. I like the flavored SmartWater with electrolytes in it. Again, in HS, we were told to dilute gartorade because the sugar conccentration was to high and would cause dehydration... this was over 12 years ago, though, so maybe they have improved their formula.
#4 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!!

I will check out the sports drinks at the HFS.

ITHat is a good point to give her some healthy carbs.

The only bread she will agree on, is whole grain cinn-raisin bread. So maybe I'll make her a sandwich with that and cream cheese. She said she could handle that. Ugh though! I will only buy organic, and cream cheese is $$$.

mp
#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 06:14 PM

I love smoothies after swimming...with yogurt, berries and bananas or you could make one with yogurt, bananas, and peanut butter for extra protein.
#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea surf mama!!! Our blender is broken, and I've been planning on getting a new one-good motivation!! MAybe I could even sneak some flax oil in!! :LOL

mp

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page