Any raw fooders out there? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 183 Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having cravings!!! Mostly just for something bad. They are not too strong but this is only day two. Do they get stronger for a few days and then go away?
Did any of you deal with this? Yesterday I had about tow or 3 bites of soy ice cream and a bite of rice cereal. So maybe that's why I'm still having cravings. Cause, I wasn't 100% raw.

Good news is I felt that "buzzing" feeling last night when I was going to sleep. Like oxygen was flowing through my veins! Any one else feel this. It was a nice sense of well being.

Moma justice---thank you for posting your results, it is inspring to me!! Way to go!
Shaper--thanks fro the articles. i can't wait to read more about the nursing.

Nicole--mom of 3 girls, wife to supportive raw eating hubby. bf :infant: co-sleeping, no vax. :
#62 of 183 Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 AM

i am just checking in
today my dh also wen traw (well except for the 2 boiled eggs he had as his bedtime snack!)
but i was still pretty impressed!
he even went to the farmer's market with me today and we bought $100 worth of organic fruits, veggies, and nuts
(plus some organic raw apple vineger!!! and flax oil)

i am so happy about this.

i feel so good and on track with life!

so i don't have pictures, but today i made some beautiful raw dishes...want to hear???

breakfast: huge fruit salad and bananas and almond butter (dd also had green beans dipped in seseame oil and um plum vineger! (her request!)

lunch: mashed avacado, 4 cubed roma tomatoes, a bunch of sprouts cuts small, 1/2 teaspoon of cummin (maybe not raw? i don't know about all spices yet...) 2 garlic cloves minced, soaked sunflower seeds, and about 1/4 cup of olive oil for extra fatty richness....
i then sliced wide thin pieces of red bell pepper and carrot to use as "chips"

snack: dried mango and seaweed (dulse) (this was my dd's request and she ate a bunch...sweet and salty!)
super good!

dinner: collards, fennel, raw vineger, apple, garlic, and leek with some flax oil (tangy, would be better if it sat in the vineger over night i think....
dessert: strawberry pie
crust-chopped figs, crushed some walnuts (with the a heavy pottery mug... iam so primal!) addeda bout a table spoon of almond butter and a teaspoon of flax oil
filling-cut adn then mashed a bunch of strawberries with a fork, added about a teaspoon of raw vanilla
topping-a few sprinkles of walnuts chopped.

HEAVENLY!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

my dd did much better today, she asked for a couple of eggs and i boiled her some, then she refused to eat them

she ate 2 whole carrots for lunch!

she requested bread and almond butter for a snack before dinner and i let her have it....(it was sprouted grain bread....)

over all good day for our raw family
me 100% and kicking butt
and dd and dh a good 95% and warming up to the idea (esp after the strawberry pie!)

thanks for the support and the articles (shaper you are awesome!)
and i look forward to reading other people's thought and food creations as we all go through is together!

ps 3little sweeties, the promise of the buzz really opened up dh, that and he is SHOCKED at the physical and emotional results i am getting after about 4-5 days of 100%raw.

the buzz is turned into my new persona!
#63 of 183 Old 06-18-2005, 12:33 AM

i am just checking in
today my dh also wen traw (well except for the 2 boiled eggs he had as his bedtime snack!)
but i was still pretty impressed!
he even went to the farmer's market with me today and we bought $100 worth of organic fruits, veggies, and nuts
(plus some organic raw apple vineger!!! and flax oil)

i am so happy about this.

i feel so good and on track with life!

so i don't have pictures, but today i made some beautiful raw dishes...want to hear???

breakfast: huge fruit salad and bananas and almond butter (dd also had green beans dipped in seseame oil and um plum vineger! (her request!)

lunch: a dip made out of mashed avacado, 4 cubed roma tomatoes, a bunch of sprouts cuts small, 1/2 teaspoon of cummin (maybe not raw? i don't know about all spices yet...) 2 garlic cloves minced, soaked sunflower seeds, and about 1/4 cup of olive oil for extra fatty richness....
i then sliced wide thin pieces of red bell pepper and carrot to use as "chips"

snack: dried mango and seaweed (dulse) (this was my dd's request and she ate a bunch...sweet and salty!)
super good!

dinner: collards, fennel, raw vineger, apple, garlic, and leek with some flax oil (tangy, would be better if it sat in the vineger over night i think....
dessert: strawberry pie
crust-chopped figs, crushed some walnuts (with the a heavy pottery mug... iam so primal!) addeda bout a table spoon of almond butter and a teaspoon of flax oil
filling-cut adn then mashed a bunch of strawberries with a fork, added about a teaspoon of raw vanilla
topping-a few sprinkles of walnuts chopped.

HEAVENLY!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

my dd did much better today, she asked for a couple of eggs and i boiled her some, then she refused to eat them

she ate 2 whole carrots for lunch!

she requested bread and almond butter for a snack before dinner and i let her have it....(it was sprouted grain bread....)

over all good day for our raw family
me 100% and kicking butt
and dd and dh a good 95% and warming up to the idea (esp after the strawberry pie!)

thanks for the support and the articles (shaper you are awesome!)
and i look forward to reading other people's thought and food creations as we all go through is together!

ps 3little sweeties, the promise of the buzz really opened up dh, that and he is SHOCKED at the physical and emotional results i am getting after about 4-5 days of 100%raw.

the buzz is turned into my new persona!
#64 of 183 Old 06-18-2005, 05:46 AM

Well I did pretty good today. I was 95% Raw. But that 5% cooked makes a difference in how i feel. The buzz is not there. More of an inspiration to be 100% raw.

Mama Justice, I feel your excitement and I think that's is what I need to kick that last 5% in the butt! Thanks!

B--Smoothie with powder supplements in it!
S--watermelon & 1/2 an orange
L- pad thai--Alissa cohen
s--strawberry pie (with 2 scoops of rice dream ice cream)
s--strawberries
s--three, only three, but three corn chips with guacamole
D--tiny bit of the mock turkey loaf--alissa cohen
s--supplement shake

c-ya tomorrow
nicole
#65 of 183 Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
crushed some walnuts (with the a heavy pottery mug... iam so primal!)
moma justice...you crack me up. I have this vivid mental image of you smashing the walnuts hilarious! I am so happy raw is working out for you. You are definitely inspiring! Way to go!

3littlesweeties...I know what you mean about that little bit of cooked that makes all the difference Sometimes I think it's all in my head...but I think it really does mess with you. Last night DH and I went out for our 5 yr. anniversary and we went to a restaurant called the Red Avocado. It's all organic vegetarian food...and it was amazing. But I ate cooked for the first time in about 4 days. I don't feel guilty though...because it was a celebration. I even had a vegan chocolate chip cookie topped with soy dream and maple syrup. OOOOH my goodness. So good.

Oh, I better stop with the cooked food...I might make someone fall off the raw wagon! Anyway, my point was that it was good for me to not be so up tight. At the same time, it totally made me realize why I eat raw now. Immediately after I started eating, I started burping. And I got gas! :LOL When I was just vegan, I had the worst gas...and when I eat raw, it's gone! My DH is happy about that!

So today, I had:

B: watermelon
L: large salad with radish, kohlrabi, carrots, avocado and balsamic dressing. freshly squeezed apple juice with mint infused (those of you with juicers...this is such a GREAT combination!)
S: 2 bananas with almond butter and honey (i could eat that all day!), 3-4 bites of date nut torte, 1/2 Larabar, cashews, steamed kale with sesame seeds and garlic (cooked, vegan)
D: Still to come...

I am still so excited about being raw...I got some books that keep me excited. I got Eating for Beauty by David Wolfe, Primal Mothering in a Modern World by Hygia Halfmoon, and Go Further by Woody Harrelson.

I find that my cravings are getting less and less...but that I am eating a ton of raw food. Probably not too good because I tend to overdo it on the nuts and desserts. Being in a hotel room with a kitchenette is like LIVING in your kitchen at home all day. The food is right here, staring me in the face! How can I not eat it?!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#66 of 183 Old 06-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Raw milk, raw veggies, raw fruit, raw honey, doing the very best that I can!!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#67 of 183 Old 06-18-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Anyway, my point was that it was good for me to not be so up tight. At the same time, it totally made me realize why I eat raw now.
I really agree with this. Raw food for me is not a "diet", it is more of a lifestyle. Meaning that it is not strict, rigid, limiting, nor do I allow myself a feeling of guilt or failure when I "cheat". (This was hard though)

Last night I had a bowl of sliced bananas, topped with organic french vanilla yogurt and some hemp granola. It wasn't raw, but it was soooo good. It was comfort food (brings back some very good memories about a good time in my life) and it nourished my mind and soul. I think thats equally important.

Saying 100% raw, all or nothing! I really think is counter productive. I really think that this is something that people should gradually (read: months or years even) ease into and really let themselves feel the process of it all, and not worry or feel badly about themselves if they chose to eat something not-raw.
A primarily raw diet body is not going to be ruined by one piece of cheesecake;
Just as
A primarily sad diet body is not going to be healed by one piece of fruit.

So...thouse were just my thoughts today.
It seems that the tighter standards I hold myself control to; the harder I fall when I slip up--and I do slip up. We all do.... Slipping up is inevitable; nobody is perfect.
Just GD yourself into this, and youll be a lot happier! Take your time!

You know what? Even going 50% raw was very very hard for myself at first, because I was used to eating 99% cooked.

Gradual, everyone, gradual... gd your body,,,,
#68 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

andrea...thanks so much for the great reminder that raw is a lifestyle, not a diet. Your post was so nicely written...I especially liked what your comparison in this sentence:

Quote:
A primarily raw diet body is not going to be ruined by one piece of cheesecake; Just as A primarily sad diet body is not going to be healed by one piece of fruit.
Good point! Also, I hesitate to even call it "slipping up" because that, to me, sounds like a diet. I have a choice everytime I put something in my mouth...so last night I just made a different choice!

So tonight we had my mom and dad over to "visit" our hotel room And we had a raw feast! Well, as much of a feast as we could in a hotel room. I made the Almost Tuna in avocado shells again and the nori rolls. Then I made veggie and fruit plates. We had watermelon, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, and broccoli. Yum! Oh, and grape tomatoes! It was like candy. I get the same feelings with fruit as I do with chocolate...like I just can't get enough! I ate and ate and ate...and finally felt a little full, but not much.

Now I'm ready for some bananas, almond butter and honey.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#69 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 01:18 AM

i found a belnder this morning at a yard sale...for 3$$$$ it has a lot of power for what it is (an old used blender....)

anyway i made the most kick ass smootie with it as soon as i got home and washed it (which was right away!)
1/2 a melon
4 big strawberries
1 med beet
1 big hand full of watercress greens (SPICEY!)
1 tblspoon of raw shredded coconut
1teaspoon of fresh ginger
some water to mix it all up
2 oranges (hand squeeze for juice)

SUPER YUMMY

my dd drank all of hers and some of mine and some of dh's!

she asked for an egg for breakfast, i made it for her, she took one bite and made a gag face adn did not eat the rest...instead had some strwberries and cucumber juice.

i think it is just confusing for her...i hesitate to say to her: we aren't eating this this and this anymore, we are only going to eat this...(for the most part, i am not trying to be crazy about this, i have just been searching and trying for so long with food, adn nothign has ever felt so right and so powerful for me before...) anyway i don't want to make it about boundaries for her...she is just 2 and that will set her up for increased desire for things that i am trying to avoid.

BUT

at the same time our diet has gone from about 20-40 %raw to 100% every meal

and we used to be very routine about our meals (esp lunch adn breakfast were pretty much the same every day)

we had eggs and grits every monring for 2 years! (with the ocasional pancake or oatmeal)

so i know she was got to be wondering what is up.....

i don't know

so here is what we ate today (i am so proud!)

breakfast: almond butter and bananas and the above super smoothie

lunch: delight's fake tuna salad with tomatoes and avacado (super good! although since i only had a blender, mine was not as pretty and smooth as her pcitures! but still great, my dh LOVED IT)

dinner: salad: red cabbage, shredded carrots, sunflower seeds and tomatoes with lemon juice (plus my dd ate another avacado....and some cheese at her request)

dessert: another strawberrie pie! (plus my dd drank some rice milk, her request.)

anyway

today while yardsaling, i found a bunch of pretty clothes (a huge bag for under $10) and they were all things that i would not have been able to fit into a week ago!

i can not believe how much better my body looks

and today i was not as hungry at all, where as for the first couple days i had to eat all day long!

and i also got my period today and it has been nothing like usual (and remember, i have began the search for a cleaner diet months ago b/c of an ovarian cycst...so i had already given up dairy, white flour, and sugar for a while....) i had no cramps, no aching, no emotional roller coaster or depression (never felt like the world was against me!) and have had lots of energy...
infact i have felt even more clear and in tune with myself, my dreams, and the world and people around me......

i really feel like it is the raw food diet

and after just one full day of raw food my husband DID NOT SNORE!!!!
and woke up not craving coffee as much as usual....!

i know i am writing a novel...

thanks for the support and i extend it out to all of you on the quest for health and balance!
#70 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 AM

Hi mamas~
Wow, I didn't check this post for a few days and there are twice as many posts! Ok, this is going to be long...

Delight~ I got raw carob powder online, I'm not sure where to buy it otherwise. I completely prefer the raw over the roasted, it's a very different flavor to me. I hear you about obsessing over watermelon! Although I am eating cooked food right now, I've been eating a whole (10lb)watermelon everyday, we sell them at my work for $3.89 each, so yum! Whenever I get really hungry and start felling crappie that's all I want! I don't know many people who eat raw, but it suprises me how many people are open minded about it (of coarse I like in a pretty liberal place). A friend of mine tried it with me. She has always suffered from depression and skin problems (wheat allergies), and she was amazed by eating raw. She felt way better and her skin looked great! As for other changes when eating raw...tons. It is almost overwhelming. Last time we had eaten raw for about a month (100%), I really wanted to make a spot to sleep outside. My husband was not into it though.LOL I just began to feel very different about the way I looked at things, it's hard to explain without going really in depth. It was kind of like spiritual detox...an awakening. It is hard not really knowing many who eat like this. I found myself needing to read about it everyday.

My husband and I use to both work a lot (50+ hours a week + 1 hour commute for both of us), now I only work 3-4 days a week. When we ate raw during that period of time we spent a lot. I didn't care how much we spent because we were able to. I was trying to find someone to make food for us and I could buy a bunch from them weekly (like they have in LA), we also went to raw cafe's on our weekends and I bought lots of very expensive dehydrated fancy raw food. Living in Santa Cruz, Ca we are very lucky. You can get anything and everything! After I have my baby and we go raw again, we will be on a tight budget. I think you are better off making as much as possible and not eating to much fancy dehydrated stuff. We have a garden, lots of fruit tree's, and several farmers markets in the area, so I think I can do it with in budget. Nuts are expensive though! I usually really watch out for sales and buy a lot when I can!

Zipporah~ Would you be able to have a garden or greenhouse were you are moving?? If you can at least grow some, dehydrate the excess, it would help a lot?

Andrea~ those wraps look great! Your little girl looks so sweet!

Mama justice~ Personally I have eaten raw, soaked grains and I don't like how they make me feel. I eat very little grains when eating raw, but I do eat beans (soaked or sprouted) to make hummus and stuff. Occasionally cooked beans and they don't really upset my body. You can dehydrate potatoes and make potato chips, they're yummy!

MamatoSage~ I love shazzie too!

3littlesweeties~ Wow! You made a ton of stuff! Thats the way to do it, always have something interesting to eat!

Prana~ Good luck on your raw hike! Have you read The Raw Family, they do a cross county hike all raw! That so awesome! Have you read about Storm and Jinjee?? I can't remember there website?? I have her e-book about her raw pregnancies and birth stories. Storm, her husband, is a 50 year old very attractive (and much younger looking) African American man with big 'ol muscles, he's been raw for like 30 years. He leads raw rock climbing expeditions and stuff.They are amazing and inspiring!

Ok, I better stop rambling... oh wait, I found out last week I am having a baby boy boy: hehehe! Anyway, hope you all have a blissful weekend!

*erin*
boy: edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#71 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

moma justice:
You are doing AWESOME! wow. Also, I have to make sure everyone knows it's not "MY" fake tuna It's Alissa Cohen's and it's amazing! Congrats...keep it up!

*green*faery*:
Storm and Jinjee's site is http://www.thegardendiet.com
I love their site and just bought the eBook series as well so I could read about her raw pregnancies and births. SO INSPIRING. I love it.

Congrats on your baby BOY! How exciting!

This thread has gotten so big! It's so fun to have a support system in all of you. We should definitely start a monthly thread (i.e. Raw Mamas - June" or something like that). Maybe we could start that in July.

#72 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 07:20 AM

You are all doing so great!

I did pretty good today, I have to tell you all I am having a harder time of it right now because my DH is so excited about eating raw that he doesn't want to eat anything else. SOoooo, I am having to make him lunches and he eats a LOT of food!!!

Today I made nori rolls, broccoli soup and a blueberry pie.
it wasn't enough!! geez! We are spending soooo much money!!

I went to the natural store today and they had raw bars. Tiny, about as big as a playing card for $4!!
So I went home and made my own. 2c pecans, 2c rasins, blend in food processer till smooth....long time... roll in finely shredded coconut!! sooo good your own little bars!

Nicole
#73 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Those raw bars sound good, Nicole!

Delight - a monthly thread! I'm so happy this has taken off, because like I said, the other ones all died SO quickly!

#74 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooh...I can't wait to make my own bars! I just got some Larabars at the coop and they are great, but like you said, expensive. I can't wait to dehydrate my own fruit too.

3littlesweeties...that is so great that your DH is doing raw. Mine just agreed to start raw whenever...so he's going to do it! He has the worst stomach issues...and I know this will solve it. I am concerned though that I won't be able to "keep up" with his appetite, like you said. He's 6'5" and eats a lot. That's what will be great though, is that he can just keep eating until he is full ... but it IS expensive. I need to start picking out the least expensive recipes!

Today we went to the Red Avocado again for their Father's Day Brunch...I ended up eating cooked, but it was wonderful vegan food. Buckwheat crepe with tempeh, avocado, chard, and dill with a mixed green salad. Decaf lavender mint iced tea...and tofu raspeberry cheesecake and apple crisp for dessert (we shared between 4 of us). It was good...I don't feel sick..and I'm ready to go RAW for the rest of the day! Woo hoo! Another huge plus was that my dad, who has always been so anti-vegan food...ate a tofu breakfast burrito! I was so happy for him And he liked it! He was the one that suggested we go there, so that was a huge step.

I got some kale at the coop so I can make a green smoothie tomorrow...yay!
We're going biking later ... it's gorgeous today. Can't wait to get some activitiy in. My body is craving exercise!

#75 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Would you be able to share the basics of the broccoli soup recipe? PLEASE????
I have a head of broccoli in my fridge that needs to be eaten today.

I made some awesome raw bars about a month ago.

1 cup raisins and dried cranberries soaked overnight in just enough water to cover (save water for sweetening something else)
big blob of honey
2-3 big blobs of almond butter

1.5 C coconut (ground 1/2 c)
2.5 C sesame seeds (ground 1/2 c)
1/4 C flax seeds (ground 1/2)
1 c pumpkin seeds (ground)

run the first wet ingredients though the processor, then mix in the seeds. Press into an oiled pan, and refridgerate for a few hours,
again, squares are so easy and versatile, you can add or substitute anything and it wont mess them up. I have also added 1/4 c carob....mmmm.....
#76 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Im really loving this green smoothie in the morning. You actually get a buzz of energy from them!

1 banana
chunk of pineapple
2 purple kale leaves
then fill the blender to the top with spinach,
1-2 cups of water.

Blend to reduce and then you'll be able to add more greens and blend again.
Ive been adding 1 tsp of greens powder lately too.
#77 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For more information about the benefits of a raw diet, do a google on

Aajones Vanderplanitz

He is in Malibu, CA

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#78 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 10:25 PM

As I was looking at the ingredients ont the bars I bought they are:

CASHEWS, DATES, AGAVE NECTAR, ALMONDS, AMARANTH & COCONUT.

Do any of you have RAW AMARANTH at your stores? I'm just wondering if I might have to buy it online.

This was a Blondie bar the coconut one.

Andrea, yes this broccoli soup was pretty darn good! So creamy and satisfying.
3 c water
1c almonds (preferrably soaked 6-12 hours)
1 teaspoon honey
2 cups broccoli
1 avacado
1/2 to 1 clove garlic
1 T olive oil
1t onion
1 to 1-1/2 t sea salt
1/2 t cumin
1/8 t black pepper.

1 In blender or vita-mix blend water, almonds and honey until smooth.

2 Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy.

NOTE: add more sea salt and cumin to bring out the flavors. I added and kept adding and tasteing till it was good.

Andrea, I'm thinkin your bar recipie sounds better cause mine though very simple is oily, I'm thinking it needs some raw amaranth to help.
Also, that smoothie sounds delich! I am getting better with the smoothies. It's a lot easier to get things down in a smothie that i wouldn't sit down and eat for breakfast per say.

If any of you are willing to experiment with the ingridents listed for the blondie bar let me know what you find! :

Sara, I am excited for you with your DH! It helps keep me going in the raw but at the same time there is pressure to make tasty good things. He ate ALL the broccoli soup because I didn't have anything else made and he had to go so we didn't even get to have any. I think the kids would like it. I need some of Andreas broccoli!

Thanks for the posts all!!!
Nicole
#79 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 11:32 PM

Thank you thank you for posting that recipe before supper time! I have to go get cumin at the store though, never tried it.

Ok, I love taking pics of my food!
It combines two of my loves, taking pics and food!~ lol

which is avacado, spinach, tomato, radish, onion, garlic, olive oil and sea salt. I gave up using the dehydrated chips half way though and opted for fresh slices, because it they were very hard to chew!

and some Which is sprouted black eyed peas (skin removed, which I think have awesome flavor!), tomato, spinach, garlic, with olive oil and avacado on top.

Sorry for over posting guys Im just excited that this thread is here, and Im just loving my
#80 of 183 Old 06-19-2005, 11:33 PM

I'm still reading through all of the posts on this thread, but I have a couple of questions for you all. Is it safe to 'go raw' when you're breastfeeding? Also, is it safe for young children? I've been considering making the transition, just because I know that I feel better on days when all I eat is fruits and vegetables and it seems alot easier. Also, I've been having a hard time losing weight since my baby was born (almost 10 months ago and I've lost none except what was lost in labor ). I am bfing, but I think he's probably starting to get most of his nutrients from food because he's been cutting back on the bfing lately. If I did this, I would be planning to go slowly myself, and I'm sure that I would be giving all three of my kids more fruits and veggies or smoothies or anything else I try to make. Is that ok? I mean I know it's ok for them to have fruits and veggies, but would it be ok if they got to the point they were mostly raw or would it be bad for them?

I've got to finish reading the thread, but any advice is welcome

Diana
#81 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 12:43 AM

hehe! :LOL Andrea, if you are overposting...so am I!

Welcome Diana!
I am BF too. :infant: I have a 4 month old! As you have probably read from my posts, I tried to go 100% right away and my detox was scary, so I ate sme cereal or something that evening and it stoped the detox. Because I already went out and bought enough stuff for a few recipies I still made them and found myself, with the help of the nice mama's on this board, eating mostly raw without really trying to hard. Then I was feeling great!!!

Day 4 I had a slight headache and realized I wasn't drinking enough water. So I drank 2 liters and felt fine.

I continue to struggle with 100% though. I want to do it because I didn't have that afternoon lull in my day where I could take a nap yesterday!
The detox is pretty much over.... Oh GREAT NEWS!! My taste buds have seriously changed!!!! I tried to eat some Rice Dream ice cream (Obviously my downfall) and It did not taste good!! I was almost bummed!! I am just amazed at how wonderfully flavorful fresh fruiys and veggies are!!!

Again, Welcome Diana and let us know what you think!!

Nicole
#82 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all...
Just a quick reminder about posting recipes that are not your own. Here is the official Mothering statement about it:

Quote:
Since the question was posed about copyright related to recipes we did a bit of checking to find out what the actual law is. You can read the US Copyright Office full document here: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.pdf

Basically what we understand from it is that you can list the ingredients of a recipe but you must word the directions yourself. So please post recipes accordingly. Please do not cut and paste a complete recipe with it's directions without getting permission to reproduce from the copyright owner and placing that in your post.
Just want to make sure we are following the rules I know the broccoli soup is Alissa's...so maybe if you email her and get permission to post it, you wouldn't have to change it. Thanks!

#83 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 AM

Oh, thank you Sara,
I really forgot about that! I e-mailed her and asked her permission. Do I post it here when I get it?
Thanks,
Nicole
#84 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 AM

my recipes are all made up, so no worries here.
#85 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidditchmom
I'm still reading through all of the posts on this thread, but I have a couple of questions for you all. Is it safe to 'go raw' when you're breastfeeding? Also, is it safe for young children? I've been considering making the transition, just because I know that I feel better on days when all I eat is fruits and vegetables and it seems alot easier. Also, I've been having a hard time losing weight since my baby was born (almost 10 months ago and I've lost none except what was lost in labor ). I am bfing, but I think he's probably starting to get most of his nutrients from food because he's been cutting back on the bfing lately. If I did this, I would be planning to go slowly myself, and I'm sure that I would be giving all three of my kids more fruits and veggies or smoothies or anything else I try to make. Is that ok? I mean I know it's ok for them to have fruits and veggies, but would it be ok if they got to the point they were mostly raw or would it be bad for them?
I personally think that raw is the best thing to do for your kids. My son is 10 months as well (11 now??) and I've been "transitioning" for the last year and a half. It's only starting to really click just lately. Raw is a giant step forward from any diet, imo, and perfectly safe. There's a lot of fear out there though - I wrote this essay here:
transitioning while nursing

The whole webpage isn't up yet - I plan on making a good resource for mother's going raw while nursing/pregnant but there's still a lot of work to do on it. Still, I thought I'd give you guys a sneak peek because a lot of people here are probably concerned about this.

I also put up a story of another woman's transition overnight with a 1 yr old son. I have her permission to publish it online. If any of you are on the yahoo group "RawSchool" you may have seen it already..
April's story

Please let me know if there's any gaping holes or inaccuracies in my essay - it's been a LONG time since ive written anything. also, if anyone wants to contribute anything - stories, photos, articles - whatever - thatd be great too. thanks

#86 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding "permissions"...I think it's just one of those things that you would need to keep in case the owner of the recipe came back and said that you didn't ask to post it. Then you could show them the permission and say...."see, yes you did". You don't need to post it here. Have a great night!

#87 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 08:24 AM

Those of you that responded to my post, thanks. I suppose I should have waited until reading the whole thread before posting, but it was late, I was tired and I just really wanted to know! I have a few more questions for you all.

I have read the whole thing now, and I'm sad to say, I'm a little discouraged. Is there anyone on here that manages to eat raw on a very tight budget? Right now my boyfriend and I are both students (taking the summer off ). He isn't working and I really can't handle working too much on top of homeschooling and taking care of my babies. I have started babysitting, although I'm not getting paid too much . The friend I'm doing it for is in a tight spot right now and I'm to soft to tell her no so I can watch some other kids that I can get paid for. I've gotten $150 for 3 weeks of watching 2 kids full time. We can spend about $400-500 a month on food, and that's to feed two adults and three small children, two additional children (that eat all the time) for one meal and two snacks 5 days a week and two perpetually hungry teenagers for about 3-4 meals a week each. My boyfriend is not going raw, he's too into junk food Although I'd like to get enough vegetables and fruits into his diet so he's at least classified as an omnivore. I think since my kids are older there is going to be a gradual transition. The baby might go all at once, but it's hard for me to figure out what to feed him since most of what he eats is vegetables. He only has two teeth, and they're both on on side so raw veggies are a little bit of a problem. He does eat pepper sticks and I give him matchstick carrots. He loves broccoli and squash, but I don't know about raw broccoli. I know that I can cut costs by making bread, cookies and other things like that instead of buying them for those that eat them, but I'm still nervous about money. I can't grow too much cause I live in an apartment with a very small backyard that kids run through all day. I grow tomatoes in containers, but they aren't doing well this year. We went with organic seeds and right now they are only about 4" tall and we planted them in April! Last year our plants were a couple of feet high by now There is no farmers market that I know of that's closer than an hour drive. There is a natural food store, but the produce is unbelievably expensive.

Any suggestions on how to do it cheaply are welcome.

Also, for those of you that grow food, I have a question for you. Is there a way to make your own soil? I thought that I had read something about taking dirt from outside and cooking it in your oven a while ago.

I was also about using the oven as a dehydrator. I read that some people put food in there with just the light turned on, and that some people heat it to 250, then turn it off. Has anyone done either of these? Is there any simple conversion like, for every however long in the dehydrator it needs to be in a preheated off oven for so long?

Someone asked if going raw has made you more natural in other ways. I haven't gone raw yet, so I can't say anything about that, but I know that recently I have felt that way. I have never been the crunchy-granola type, in fact I've been like the very opposite. Now I'm considering a raw diet, I buy some organic, I've been looking into yoga, I'm homeschooling, I've started being concerned with using regular household cleaners and a bunch of other stuff. It's been kind of a graduall awareness I've had since I had my second child.

Now, I have one more (very silly) question. I saw that some of you eat pumpkin seeds. I was always told that raw pumpkin seeds were poisonous Guess they're not then?

Thanks everyone for all the information.

Diana
#88 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 AM

Just one more quick question - for now at least . How do you know if something is cooked? Like honey, I had no idea there was raw honey because I didn't know honey was cooked.

Diana
#89 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I started out eating some fruit for breakfast, but needed something more. So I made the Sweet Nori Rolls by Alissa...they have avocado, apples, and honey...and I added spinach instead of lettuce. They were GREAT! I was a little nervous about the fishy taste with apples, but the sweetness of the apples and honey actually neutralized the fishy taste of the nori. Interesting and yummy. Here is a pic.

#90 of 183 Old 06-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Quidditchmom - the honey will say "raw" or "unpasteurized" - that's the one you want. Not the one in the squeeze bear My husband is a student too - our only income, except he *IS* working this summer (although we're trying to save most of it) - we get by, but I have no idea what we spend. Thats sounds doable, in my opinion - just maybe you're not getting pineapple & coconut & strawberries every week! I forget who it is, but someone gave the 1$/lb advice in a book I read (I think it was Jinjee in Raising Raw Children, but I could be wrong) - and she said, just go and buy anything you find under or around 1$/lb, and then work with what you have. she said some of the yummiest recipes were created with whatever they had lying around. Of course, splurge when you really want something.

Also, if you've still got a junk food junkie, things will be more expensive. We spend way more on food when we're still getting our "treats".

I wouldn't worry about veggies for your baby - fruit is still great for him You can try a green smoothie if you're worried about it - or a blended salad. My guy liked that (it was disgusting).

I can't help with the growing things - this is first year I've grown anything (tomatoes and strawberries) and I've never grown anything from seed.

And i LOVE raw pumpkin seeds, so no - very not posionous!!

Delight ~ looks good - I might try apple w/nori someday - I didnt really like the stuff (nori) when I tried it last.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page