Any raw fooders out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 183 Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been searching this board and was surprised to find a lack of threads about the raw food lifestyle. Does anyone here eat raw or partially raw?

We are currently working towards a raw diet...I've always been very health conscious, and have recently been reading a lot about it. I feel soooo great and I am so much more in tune with my body. I've noticed such a connection between what I eat and how I feel.

I have several raw books and Alissa Cohen's DVD (which is GREAT!)...I'm looking forward to "cooking" up some great food.

Raw fooders come forth! I'd love to hear how you learned about it and how it's working for you.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 183 Old 06-09-2005, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight
I've been searching this board and was surprised to find a lack of threads about the raw food lifestyle. Does anyone here eat raw or partially raw?
I do! It's something I have been getting into for the last year or so, but it's been a slow process for me.

Quote:
We are currently working towards a raw diet...I've always been very health conscious, and have recently been reading a lot about it. I feel soooo great and I am so much more in tune with my body. I've noticed such a connection between what I eat and how I feel.
Yea I do enjoy the "lighter" feeling of eating raw, if that makes any sense. What makes alot of sense about it for me is that Ive always really liked raw veggies and fruits. I like very few of them even warmed, so this is a good fit for me.

Quote:
I have several raw books and Alissa Cohen's DVD (which is GREAT!)...I'm looking forward to "cooking" up some great food.
I currently have "Raw Food, The UNcook Book" by Juliano. It has wonderful recipes. I need a food processor and blender so badly now LOL. It will be easier for me to do more then.

Quote:
Raw fooders come forth! I'd love to hear how you learned about it and how it's working for you.
I learned about it through an independent newspaper that had raw food potlucks. I never have gotten to one (we moved from the area) but it sparked my interest in researching it more if only because I already felt that raw stuff appealed to me and I was thrilled that others found it cool too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#3 of 183 Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I knew there had to be someone Now if the rest of them will come out to play, it would be really fun!

You should check out the book called "Living Cuisine" by Renee Underkoffler (forward by Woody Harrelson). It's an awesome resource and has tons of great recipes. Some of them are listed here. The chocolate mousse at the bottom sounds amazing.

I haven't done many recipes yet...mostly just fruits, veggies, and nuts. We're traveling right now, but when we get home, I'm going to be using that food processor like crazy!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#4 of 183 Old 06-09-2005, 11:55 PM

Hi! My dh and I have experimented with raw foodism and we love it! I have never felt so good in my life (well, after the first few days), lots of energy, and after a few weeks my skin looks so good, no puffy eyes...

We have done it (100%) for 5-6 weeks I think 5 times now through out the years. Right now I am pregnant, eating lots of fruit, but lots of cooked food too. After the baby is born we are planning on getting more serious about it again.

I took a class at The Living Light Culinary Academy and would like to eventually get a raw foods chef certificate from them. I also has the pleasure of meeting the lady that wrote The Raw Family, an amazing and very inspiring book, and attended one of her seminars.

I love Alissa Cohens site. Also check out www.purejoylivingfoods.com, Elaina Love has my favorite raw "cook" book that is really great. I've made several things from it.

I think the hardest thing is in the beginning, if you are not prepared and have interesting food ready to eat, it is difficult. Sometimes I'd just not really eat, and that just made me crave things. But if I plan ahead its much easier. I am so lucky my dh is in to it. Also having the right tools and setup help.

I could talk about it forever, so I should probably stop If you want some of my favorite recepes or foods or anything else let me know. I'm glad to see this post!

*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#5 of 183 Old 06-10-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Erin!
I'm so glad you chimed in! I am sooooo jealous that you went to Living Light! I just found their site and said that someday I wanted to attend

I love how great I feel eating raw...I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks, and I've just been starting to get "serious" about it in the last week or so. It's to the point now that cooked foods really don't appeal anymore. If I'm starving, a pizza or thai food sounds amazing, but if I just have lots of stuff around to eat, I'm fine. Even after I have just a small amount of cooked food...I kind of feel yucky. Did you experience that?

I've started to CRAVE fruits so much now. The more I eat, the more I want I'm just about ready to dig into my first papaya! I'm totally addicted to mangos with lime and raw cashews are sooo yummy. I need to work on getting more leafy greens...I love spinach and kale, it's just that I have to remember to eat them.

Do you have a juicer? Vitamix? Processor or blender? I'd love to hear some advice and also some of your favorite recipes. I'm anxious to try some of the bread and muffin recipes in the dehydrator. You can PM me if they can't be posted here.

I know what you mean about being able to talk about it forever! I have a great friend who was actually the one who got me interested in it...and we email daily with what we're eating...things we've learned or found online. It's so fun. I've always been very passionate about health and nutrition, so this was a natural progression. I was already vegan...so it didn't seem like a HUGE change. Mostly cutting out processed foods was hard. I love crackers, cereal, etc.

I also find it hard not to talk about it to my DH and family all the time because I soooo want them to experience the benefits too. I think my DH will join me soon...but we are away from home almost all summer and it's more convenient to eat cooked food for him. But my mom is showing some interest...she has been anemic forever and I truly think this could help.

Thanks for the site too...it's awesome!

#6 of 183 Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Even after I have just a small amount of cooked food...I kind of feel yucky. Did you experience that?
Yes! Sometimes when we eat out we would get a salad and regular dressing (not raw) and even that made a difference in how we felt and made us a little more hungry!

Fruit is so yummy. On the raw family website she recommends "green smoothies" basically just fruit with leafy greens and water. Something like mangos, blueberries, water (or coconut water) and a couple handfuls of leafy greens. Its a good way to get more and its kinda pre-chewed for you. It really taste decent, even though it may not sound yummy.

Have you tried young coconuts yet?? Oh my, sooo good!

I have a vita mix, I love it! I have a cheap food processor (could use an upgrade) I do have a juicer and a dehydrator. I finally got some really good knifes, which make such a difference! In the dehydrator I mostly have done fruit, especially if I bought too much and cut it up before it goes bad. My favorites are apples with cinnamon, bananas, strawberries. I have done crackers once which came out ok, and I tried julianos falafel recipe... I must have done something wrong, they came out horrible! I also did thin sliced yams that were marinated in spices and oil and they came out soooo good.

Next on the list is an ice-cream maker. Maybe next month for my B-day I'll get one! I've been to restaurants in San Francisco that had yummy raw ice-cream, I think that would be a good thing to have around!

That must be challenging to eat raw while traveling! If your going to Southern California at any point, let me know, so many raw cafes down there! (I'm in Northern Cal)

I will look up some of my favorite recipes and PM them to you~
Have a good night!
*erin*
#1 edd 10/29/05

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#7 of 183 Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM

I wonder if we should do a raw foods recipe thread? Ohh I have lots to share.

I totally know what you mean about feeling different after eating cooked foods, or too much cooked foods! I'll probably always eat some cooked foods, but I do prefer more raw. I feel "lighter"... that's the best word I can find to describe it.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 183 Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 AM

Hey! We're raw fooders!! Well, i've been on and off for the last year and a half almost, but nearly 100% the last week.. I think it's clicking this time - so exciting!! My son is 10.5 months and he's never had anything cooked..

Maybe we should post some recipes on this thread? All the raw food threads seem to die quick here.. I have a good recipe I made up for cucumber salad.. and I've got some experiements going this week!

Good to see other raw foodists here though!

Oh, and Delight - since you asked - what's really working for us, is a HUGE emphasis on fruit.. we eat a mostly fruit diet, some cut veggies w/dip or maybe a salad.. not everyday... occasional nuts and seeds. No dehydrator or elaborate stuff.. we love our smoothies though! A really great resource is www.rawschool.com - she (Nora Lenz) also has a yahoo group now.

Maybe we could post food logs to see what else everyone is doing?

#9 of 183 Old 06-11-2005, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Melissa!
Thanks for joining us I would love to see some recipes posted here. I think we have to be careful with copywrited stuff though.

Since we've been traveling, I've been mostly eating fruit as well. I do fruit for breakfast and a big salad at the coop salad bar for lunch. And supper has been varied. I snack A LOT right now. I've been thinking about going to buy a blender because I want to make smoothies! We have one at home, but it's not very good.

That is so awesome that your son is raw too. I would love for Bella to be...right now she is. I know I shouldn't worry, but I tend to focus on protein too much. I come from a protein-obsessed, body building family...so they have made me paranoid. Where do you tend to get the most protein from?

I think most of mine is coming from nuts right now, and I'd like to cut back on that.

I'd love to start posting food logs...I'll start!
All food is organic.

Today I had:

Breakfast:
Strawberries
Cherries
Plum
Fresh Apple/Carrot juice

Snacks:
Raw Cashews
Raisins
Apple with raw almond butter

Lunch:
Spinach salad with avocado, tomato, cukes, carrots, broccoli...sprinkled with olive oil and lemon juice

Supper:
Green curry tofu (cooked)
1/2 of an Alternative Baking Co. cookie...(so not raw!...but so good)

Bedtime snack:
Some bites of papaya with lime
Raw Cashews

We went to this organic vegetarian restaurant in Iowa City for supper. I just couldn't bring myself to order a salad when I had been waiting so long to go to this place. Not a good excuse, I know...but I NEEDED it I didn't feel too bad after that. I haven't gone 100% yet though.

What do you guys do for salad dressings when you go out to a restaurant? I've just been throwing a lemon in my bag...and an avocado (yum!) and then drizzle olive oil on it. But it's not the tastiest. Do you ever make your own at home and bring it in a a small glass jar or something? I'm trying to learn tricks for eating out because we travel so much for business, so I will have a lot of salads to eat I think!

Also, if you can recommend any restaurants that are especially accomodating, that would be great. We don't have any raw restaurants here in the Midwest. Hasn't quite caught on yet!

#10 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 01:35 AM

Hey Delight - I don't worry about protein at all. It's near impossible to become protein deficient - and if someone was, doctors here wouldn't even know what it was.. they've NEVER seen it.. Don't worry about it, let it go That's probably easier said than done. I know Stephen Arlin wrote a book called "Raw Power" that is about raw diet & weight-lifting. Maybe that would be a good book for you to get? I've not read it myself, so I can't say if it's any good. I hear about it all the time though so I suspect that it probably is.

Here are some good links though:
Protein: Fact & Fiction (good article, 3 pages)
Protein & Propaganda
Alissa Cohen's take on protein

Your salad dressing question - we don't eat out at restaurants when we're raw because there's just too much other tempting stuff to get! I don't have to travel or do any kind of business thankfully, so it's easy for me to avoid. I think it'd be pretty easy to bring a small jar of some kind of homemade dressing though. I made a strawberry vinaigrette last week that turned out pretty good - it was just 1 cup of fresh strawberries, a couple tbsps of apple cider vinegar, a 1/4c of olive oil, and fresh cracked pepper. simple, but good.

There's a really good vegan restaurant in Victoria, BC called Green Cuisine that has a lot of raw stuff & juices.. but as you can see, I'm far from you so I can't really recommend anything - hopefully a raw neighbour will turn up

I'm not going to put down what I ate today because I'm rather sick & not eating much/well... but this is what I ate a couple days last week:

tuesday:
-a fruit salad (strawberry, mango, banana)
-most of a honeydew (soooo good)
-a bunch of snap peas
-a pear
-pecans, dried mango, pistachios (not raw - made me sick)
-few grapes (kinda sour.. ick)
-lots of water

wednesday:
-couple pieces dried mango
-lots of water
-a smoothie (banana, mango, blueberry, strawberry)
-lots of water after swimming (rehydration!)
-quarter of a watermelon
-guac & cut veggies (liam looooved the guac!!)
-quarter of a watermelon

I'm going to add a couple recipes tomorrow - they're homemade so no copyright issues i have pictures, too! (i'm a nerd that way)

#11 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Melissa,
Thanks for the reassurance about protein...I know that it's total propaganda, and I still worry deep down. Duh! That's how much media affects us I guess!
I envy you not having to eat out much...I just dread it now. I have about 10 more days in a hotel this month and then in July and August we'll be traveling about 60% of the time! I finally went and bought a mini food processor, and I'm having fun with that. So if you have any easy food processor recipes that I can do in a hotel room, that would be great. Today I'm going to whip up some nori rolls and Alissa's date nut torte.

Yesterday I ate:

B: strawberries, cherries, banana
Snack: cashews and almonds
L: spinach salad with everything on it/balsamic ving. dressing
Snack: mango with lime
S: curried tofu salad and cous cous (vegan, cooked)
Snack: strawberries, almonds, mango

How do you all get more leafy greens like kale, etc. if you're not eating salad? Do you juice them? I don't like kale when it's not steamed and soft. I just know that I'm eating a lot of fruit and I'd like to eat more greens.

I can't wait to see the pics of your recipes. I take pics of my creations all the time! So if two of us do it...that' means we're not too weird...ha!

On a side note, I just found out that Minneapolis has a new raw restaurant called Ecopolitan. I'm going to try to go on our next trip to Minnesota. My DH's parents live just north of there. Yippee!

Happy Eating.

#12 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 12:37 PM

Hi, I've been lurking on your thread to get more "raw" ideas. I'm vegan and we eat way too much cooked food.

As for your question about greens, I like to tear up kale and add it to my salads. I don't like collard greens as much that way, so sometimes I'll just chop it really fine and toss it in too. Ditto for cabbage. I use my food processor to shred beets and carrots. I also add frozen peas and corn, nuts and raisins and broccoli sprouts (er, only the peas and corn are frozen!)! We're getting fresh snow peas from our garden right now, so I'm eating a lot of those too!

Putting my lurker hat back on.
#13 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 PM

hi callmemama - i envy your snow peas!! :LOL

Kale, spinach, and swiss chard can all be shredded and blended in smoothies - my fave is banana, kale, pineapple it's a beautful green. if you have something like strawberries in there, then it's really ugly unappetizing green - but if you put bluberries in then you can't see it anymore!

i also love marinated kale salad. i wing it every time from this recipe but skipping the spinach, less onion, sometimes a little honey - depending, you know. custom i never liked kale cooked (too bitter for me) but in this salad it's GREAT.. you just tear bits off the stem, don't eat the stem or ribs. yuck.

but these days, i'm not even worried about getting my greens. i don't feel they're something i necessarily have to do *every day* .. but when i feel like a salad, i love lots of romaine, tomato, cucumber, celery, peppers, pumpkin seeds, ground flax, sprouts, grated carrot... and a bit of salt.. YUM. i call it my supersalad. i cant' do the juiced greens. i'll throw up, seriously. i dont think it's natural. :

i do have a good recipe for spanish rice that uses a food processor and nothing else - it belongs to a friend of mine, i'll ask her & post it later - it's quite good! it has cauliflower in it though, is that ok?

my body is healing up a vicious storm today.. it's day 7 now & things are getting started, I think. yuck... cough, cough.

this is "Just Like Mom's" Cucumber Salad
To make it, I mashed up 2 avocados, added a splash of olive oil, a couple tsps of raw honey (I don't know what you would sub if you don't do honey), a tsp or so of dried dill (but fresh is better, didn't have any), and little splash of vinegar.. I think that's it. mix that up really good, and add sliced cucumbers - enough to use up the goo. it's really good! i know it kinda looks like something the dog brought up.

this is a simple tomato salad using big chunks of tomato, avocado & cucumber. the marinade is olive oil, vinegar & italien spices. simple, but good.

and for the hell of it, here's:
baby foodist after a feast of blueberries

more later! so excited to have other raw people to talk to on mdc!!

#14 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 01:56 PM

oh! i had a raw dinner party last november and this is what i served..
butternut mango soup
marinated veggie salad
marinated kale (and swiss chard)
stuffed peppers
green salad
a fruit salad
and macaroons for dessert

i also served pesto stuffed mushrooms - which if youve never had, and have a dehydrator, you should have!! you can get a good recipe at alissacohen.com - i don't use no "lite" recipes..

#15 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaper
Oh, and Delight - since you asked - what's really working for us, is a HUGE emphasis on fruit.. we eat a mostly fruit diet, some cut veggies w/dip or maybe a salad.. not everyday... occasional nuts and seeds. No dehydrator or elaborate stuff.. we love our smoothies though!
Yes I totally agree on the fruit and veggies thing. I do seeds and nuts as well. One thing that I love is creating the amazing salads! When I say that people usually just think green salads= boring but really there is so much you can do with fruits, veggies, and nuts that the options seem endless to me. I don't have a dehydrator (though I plan to get one) but use my stove on super low settings for longer.

#16 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 06:43 PM

Green N Red salad:

There are no "set" amounts for this. I just vary how much I use to how many people are eating it, or for how hungry I am LOL

Cucumbers (cut into "spears")
Tomatoes in big diced pieces or cherry
Green and red bell pepper (cut into spears/sticks)
Red and green onions chopped
Radishes
celery
Any leafy greens that you like: spinach, cabbages, red leaf, etc.
Sprouts
Avacado

Combine the leafy greens, tomatoes, sprouts, avacado and onions in a bowl and then arrange the veggie spears upright around edge of the mixture to make it colorful.

For dressing I top with a mix of lemon juice and/or a bit of vinegar , freshly chopped garlic, some salt, and some olive oil. It's lovely!

#17 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

callmemama...thanks for de-lurking to say hi!

shaper...you rock! holy raw dinner party! I think it's awesome that you take pics of it all. That's so fun. Who did you have over? Was it people that were raw also? I can't wait to try those pesto stuffed mushrooms...I've read that they are amazing!

I'm trying out the date nut torte right now. The dates are soaking...I'll let you know how it turns out...it's my first real "raw recipe".

Some questions for everyone...why did you go raw? Or even, why are you interesting in going raw, as many of us are still in transition. What is your favorite thing about eating raw? What have you noticed in your body since going raw? Also, do you tell people about the raw lifestyle...or simply say "I'm eating more raw fruits and veggies"?

I became a vegetarian last Sept. and started eating more vegan this spring. Then, a friend of mine mentioned that she was reading about these "people" who ate only raw food. My first thought was "no way"...and I kind of filed it in the back of my mind. Then I came across a raw board and started to read about it. It's nothing like I thought it would be...there is so much variety.

My favorite thing about eating raw has been the transformation of my body. I have always been slender, but after having Bella, I had lots of jiggles In just 3 weeks of being about 75% raw...I am so defined and toned, I can't believe it! I've been working out a little each day, but nothing too hard. It's makes sense...but I didn't think it would happen this fast. I don't feel tired as much either...even though I only get about 6 hours of sleep a night. I can see why people who eat this way for years look so great.

shaper...I am also excited to have other MDC'ers to "talk raw" with. I love it!

#18 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

I finished the torte...and boy, was it tasty! Super dooper sweet and rich. My DH and brother had some and thought it was too sweet. That's coming from the junk food king too...hmmmm. I love it! Here is a photo. It's supposed to have raspberries on top, but I used kiwi...and it would be prettier on a pretty plate, but it's on the hotel-provided kitchen plate. Yay for my first recipe!

#19 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 09:59 PM

UnschoolnMa - that salad sounds really pretty! simple things often the best.

Delight - that torte turned out really pretty! i like the kiwis.

My dinner party was people who were'nt raw.. the liked it though i don't really know anyone locally who is into raw.. actually a friend here is, but i'm only here for the summer.. and on to the questions (i love questions!):

why raw: i honestly don't remember. it seemed like a good idea at the time :LOL i came across the idea while pregnant with my son but didn't want to rush because of fears of "detoxing into the baby" and whatnot.. now that i have a better understanding, i don't entertain any fears of that sort whatsoever and am ready to fully go 100%.

favourite thing: don't have to cook.. just grab and go. it's easy. just like junk food.. only GOOD for you

noticed in my body: slow weight loss over time - but since going very high raw i've lost 8lbs in the last week. and still going i've never really been slender (kinda "average") but i can notice things tightening & toning, too. when i eat cooked foods, the next morning my face is so puffy and gross.

what do i say: this is something i'm having a hard time with, actually - which i discovered this morning is just because i'm self-conscious and don't want to people to know i'm "dieting".. because i'm not supposed to care how i look you know?? it's like all this emotional/mental baggage that i'm diligently working through this week. it's hard work. i'm trying to get to the point where I just say "no thanks" and leave it at that when people offer me things, or say "i feel better when i eat ____" or "when i eat that i feel ____" - can't argue with that. a lot of the times i say, "my body can't handle ____" and it's entirely true - it's like a food allergy now. i use the food allergy reasoning a lot for liam. people don't need to know the ins and outs of his diet, but they do need to know enough not to feed him chips.

oh, and i WISH i could sleep at night - liam doesnt let me sleep for more than an hour at a time these days.. that's a big part of what inspired this last week of 100%.. i want to figure out his sleep issues because i think they're related in a big way to what i eat.. but he's detoxing a bit these last couple of days (quicker in babies, i'm just starting) and is pretty darn snarky. poor guy.

#20 of 183 Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 PM

Shaper~ Your baby is soooo cute!

A few friends of mine are planning a raw potluck. I can't wait!

OK, why did I go raw?

Well, I guess first I should say that I'm not raw right now. I hadn't been for like 6 mo. and now I'm pregnant, picky as hell, and my main excuse is that I am overweight & loose weight quickly when raw. Normally a very good thing, but if I were to be all raw during pregnancy I would loose like 50 lb., which I don't think would be good.

This is a long story, so I'll try and keep it short. I've been vegetarian since I was 15, and struggled with being vegan on and off. When I was 19 I started working at a vegetarian restaurant. It started with this guy Danny, who first told me about raw, and what he ate, etc. Then I was introduced to several customers who were raw, including David Wolfe (the author). At the time I started drinking raw veggie juice everyday and noticed a difference in how I felt. I also noticed that all the people who ate that way had great skin, looked much younger then they were, and overall had really good energy. The diet just made since to me, and the more I read about the more I understood why.

I have had weight issues all my life and been on various "diets" since I was 12. (both parents are obese) By the time I was in high school I was a little over average weight (like between 140-160lbs, I'm 5"6') When I have eaten all raw for any period of time, it has been the only time in my life that I don't feel like sh*t while loosing weight. I have hypoglycemia, am very sensitive to sugar/white bread ... but when I'm raw that goes away. I am very heavy now, I was working a lot and I over eat. Now I don't work much, but being 5 mo. pregnant, I've gained 20lb. But I'm not going to stress, I know its just a matter of time.

The first round of eating raw my dh and I did it for 6 weeks. After a few weeks we noticed our skin looked way better (everyone noticed), his chronic red eyes got better, when we woke in the morning our eyes were not puffy, and we were not full of mucous. I also awoke very alert, way more then usual. It seemed so right. But then we ate burritos one day and took a downward spiral. We've done this several times now! To me this is the ultimate way of eating, even when I overeat on the raw diet, I still loss weight and feel great! Oh, and the first 6 weeks I lost 25lb.

I try not to tell people in general, but I can't help it and find myself explaining the whole thing. I fell like I shouldn't tell people until I'm at a healthy weigh, so I'm a good example, know what I mean?

Ok, this is getting very long and my dh is home. Thanks for the recipes!
*erin*

#1 edd 10/29/05

#21 of 183 Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 AM

Hey Erin! I agree - losing that much weight when pregnant would be very unnerving!! But added rawness is always good! I also think a lot of people feel as you do - that you have to be the raw poster child to talk about it. It would definitely be easier to talk about it if we were.

I get those downward spirals too - but so far, not this time. YEAH!

Another recipe.. for Banana Splits!!!

Instructions:

Strawberry: blend half, and cut other half small, mix together with a small bit of oj for zip

Blueberry: I used frozen because I didn't have fresh - I mushed some of them and added a bit of oj

Pineapple: same as strawberries but with lemon juice

Then: cut banana down the middle, pile on the toppings, drizzle with watered down raw almond butter & sprinkle with pecans.

To LIVE for!!

#22 of 183 Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 AM

Some questions for everyone...why did you go raw? Or even, why are you interesting in going raw, as many of us are still in transition.

It just makes sense to me, in a deep way and on a very practical level. In a deeper sense I feel more connected to the earth and this is a big deal for me spiritually. On a more practical level it just seems easier lol. As Shaper pointed out... no cooking I do have to get the hang of some new things, but that is part of the fun. Also I just have always loved raw fruits and veggies so this feels right.

My fave thing about going raw? I feel lighter. Whether or not I actually am I have no idea, but I feel that way lol.

Also, do you tell people about the raw lifestyle...or simply say "I'm eating more raw fruits and veggies"?

I have said that alot actually, and people seem to accept it well phrased that way. I've discussed raw fooding with a couple of people with mixed results. My in-laws think it's an extreme hippy diet and a friend of mine thinks it's a cool idea if it's working for me. Eating at other people's homes, or when we are away on a camping trip with extended family (they have huge potluck meals) should prove interesting for me lol.

#23 of 183 Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 AM

You all are great!! I could be up all night reading if I didn't have a 4 month old to wake me at 6 30 am!! hehe.

I just realized after a friend pointed it out that going RAW makes so much sense!!! I just feel like I am constantly battleing fatique!!
I know I am nursing but come on!!!

We have no Dairy, bread or "preservatives". I am taking this awesome liquid supplement and when researching the Raw foodists, the thing that really got
my attention was the before and after pictures of their faces. They weren't overweight per say but they just glowed after going raw. Even for one month!! Although I do need to loose, Hello I just had a baby

Delight, I am just so excited because I ordered Alissa Cohens book and DVDs too!! They should be here tomorrow!! I am so ready! My whole family is ready too. Even my 7 and 5 year old girls!

I have to order a deyhydrator. I am looking at the excalibur 2900 with 9 trays. It has the temp controll and the Ronco one I have only goes to 133 degrees and you can't change it. So I have to get rid of it because you destroy valuable enzymes when you go above 117 degrees.

Anyone have any advice on dehydrators or where to buy let me know!
Talk to you all soon!!!
Nicole
#24 of 183 Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

3littlesweeties...thanks for joining us! You will LOVE Alissa's book and DVD...especially if you are getting a dehydrator. I think the 9 tray Excaliber is the one to get...I'm jealous!

shaper...I can't wait to try that banana split recipe! I have all the ingredients!

Here is a photo of my lunch today. I made Nori Rolls! It was so easy and they tasted awesome. I chopped cauliflower in the food processor for the "rice" and then added avocado, red pepper, carrots, and bean sprouts. The close up photo is the second sheet I made and it had more avocado, bean sprouts and cauliflower. I took the other stuff out because I didn't like it so crunchy. It's a lot easier to cut them when they are really full...and you want to use a super sharp non-serrated knife. I dipped them in Bragg's before devouring them Yum.

#25 of 183 Old 06-13-2005, 07:54 PM

Delight~ those rolls look beautiful! What kind of camera do you have??? The pictures turned out so clear and perfect! We love to make nori rolls, mainly because its pretty easy and can be quick. I've seen recipes for that "rice " before, but I've never tryed it. Thanks for sharing pictures with us!

*erin*

#26 of 183 Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Erin...I have a Canon Rebel XT. It's super fast and wonderful. It takes nice food photos.

Speaking of food photos, here is my latest creation. Mock tuna in an avocado bowl with grape tomatoes. It tastes so much like tuna...I love it! It's a recipe from Alyssa's book.

For dessert I had leftover torte...and then snacked on dried mangoes and cashews.

What are you thoughts on the 100% raw lifestyle? Although I want to do that so badly, it seems so hard to maintain...especially when traveling and eating out. Salads are great, but not for every meal

I get so excited about food and love it so much...that when I find a new way to eat and it works....I can get overly obsessive But when I "cheat"...I feel so bad about it. I don't want this to be a "diet" of guilt...it should be freeing and wonderful. How do you handle "cheating" on a raw diet? Do you allow yourself to eat "good" cooked food when you are away from home sometimes? I'm just really struggling with the balance. When I do something, I want to do it all the way...and do it with excellence. But in my head, I have this little "raw-meter" that keeps track of how "good" I am each day, and it makes me crazy. If I want a bite of cookie...shouldn't I just have a bite of cookie?!

Just looking for your thoughts on this...

#27 of 183 Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 AM

Depends, Sara - if you can have that bite of cookie and leave it at that - go for it! For some people (me) that bite of cookie will ALWAYS end up in a a day or two long binge on every chocolate chip and candy imaginable... and that is too hard on my body (and Liam's for that matter) to do anymore..

I'm a little glum today because I've had a bad day - had wheat of all things today and it really shows.. Liam's not been sleeping for longer than a half hour at a time and waking up SCREAMING.. it's just horrible.

I can't do anything but all raw. Because I don't have anything in me that says "stop" at such-and-such point. I have no concept of "servings"..

But I tend to get obsessive too and beat myself up about things, I'm consciously working on letting go and stepping back these days. Journalling my food really helped me in the beginning, I realised how much I was eating, what exactly was going in my mouth - but as I continued I got way too obsessive.. so now I just write down what I remember at the end of the day & leave it at that. Much better this way. But the detailed record was important in the beginning. I didn't realise how much JUNK I ate! I'd think I had a pretty good day, look back through my journal and see wow, I really didn't.

My mind works funny

Those pictures looked really good by the way! Very professional. I want some of the avocado thingmers

Nicole - I have no advice on the dehydrators, but just wanted to say welcome! I have one of those cheap round ones but it's ok for what I do (not much - occasional macaroons or banana rollups).. not too into the gourmet.

I'm off to read some inspiring raw things.. Getting focused for the rest of the week I really feel this is the time - just gotta get back on track!

Melissa

#28 of 183 Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Melissa...Thanks for the response. Now that I think about it...that's what I do too. I just cannot stop at one cookie. I want more more more. Cookies are my downfall. I used to eat the Starbucks cookies all the time and boy are they bad for you! Anyway...it's funny you said that because I was just reading in Paul Nison's book "The Raw Life" and it was saying how the most important thing you can do when eating raw is to never taste cooked food again because you will be sucked back into that cycle. It's just sooo hard! I need to find transistional alternatives to take the place of my cookies. There are some good recipes...I just need to get a dehydrator!

Something that really helps me is just to not have any temptations in the house and also not going near temptations outside the house. This is hard because my family runs an ice cream shop! Talk about hard to refuse! I'm hoping that my DH will do a 30 day challenge with me so that he will get "addicted" to raw too. He's very open to it all..even if he just eats raw at home, at least then I don't the bad stuff in the house.

I'm so glad that I'm starting Bella now instead of trying to switch eating habits on her later on!

Isn't it fun to read the raw stuff online? I get lost in it...there is so much knowledge out there. I just love it! My favorite are journals...I love to see other's experiences and progress. Do you all have some favorite raw sites?

#29 of 183 Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Hi, we are raw fooders here too -- about 75-80% raw (we eat cooked potatoes and rice, and Alvarado St. Bakery sprouted bread). I eat lots of fruit and am now totally addicted to dates! And i cannot imagine what i did without my K-Tec blender!

We love how we feel on our "high raw" diet, but does anyone find their food budget has skyrocketed? We live in Southeastern Connecticut and we are spending about $150-200 a week on food, just for the two of us!!! Who knew produce and nuts were so darn expensive? I guess i could cut it down a bit by buying non-organic produce but i can't bring myself to eat stuff i know has pesticides all over it... but as it is we are barely making it through each pay-period! Anyone else have this dilemma?

My favourite recipe books are "Rawsome!" by Brigitte Mars (although i don't believe in her whole ayurvedic thing) and "The Raw Truth" by Jeremy Safron.
#30 of 183 Old 06-14-2005, 02:25 PM

A (wanna-be) raw-fooder here too :

Not 100% raw; I eat 6 small meals a day, and usually one of them will be cooked. Not so much out of preference, but out of needing to use up all of whats left in the cupboards. We can't afford to waste food!

I am also one that needs a bit of animal protein or I get whacky in the head, and shaky, sweaty and weak. So I have chicken stock, shrimp and raw eggs a few times a week.

Also having a hard time keeping on weight, so I tend to eat all day long... lol

Delight, I totally agree, I LOVE reading all of the info online. Ive learned so much about nutirtion, food and about how the body works. Every time I read my head gets crammed full of new ideas to process.

I've found that with going raw, I need to eat a LOT of greens to get the benefits. Im talking 50% of my consumption at least... I try anyways, lol

It is hard, because my dh is still eating the SAD diet, and all of his food on the counter is such a temptation. Luckily I cant eat any of it, because I have to stay gluten-free.

I just discovered dried black mission figs! omg, they are so good.... I would love to eat some fresh ones, but I have never seen them anywhere before.

Wraps[/URL] (note in the pic, I havent wraped them up yet, they are just laying flat...)
These are just large red romaine leaves spread with raw hummous, and then topped with a mix of sprouted black eye peas, tomato, avacado, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic. Then you wrap it up and eat! (I also added goat feta)

Anyways, glad to see this thread here. Hope tp get some new ideas and recipes! Are any of you able to post the recipes for your food, or is it copyrighted?

I am hoping to make my raw "cookie dough" and "ice cream" this week, so I will post the recipes and pics when I do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page