i can't freaking cook rice - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 11-25-2002, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a rice steamer but only use it to steam spinach or hard boil eggs! Dh tried to make rice in it once but it was a disaster. I love rice and make it on the stove. I agree - a heavy, thick walled/bottomed pot is important! And a tight fitting lid. Crucial! I buy the big bag of Safeway brand white rice. Two cups of rice and four cups of water in the pot and mix. Cover and on high heat. Watch to boil then turn down to between low and med-low. 25 minutes and you're done. Death to anyone who takes off my lid during that time (dh did that ONCE when we were newly married - "what's cooking?" AUGH!!!!) I adore hot white rice with butter and salt....
Kirsten
#32 of 41 Old 11-25-2002, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Kristen -- you don't have much luck with labor saving small appliances, do you?
#33 of 41 Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 PM

Mamaduck, did you see my post re: bread machines too? ha ha! No, I am not a big fan of the small appliance. Could not live without the toaster but other than that, I do not use small appliances more than once or twice a year. One, I don't like the room they take up on the counter or in the pantry or cupboard. Two, pain to clean. Either can't go in the dishwasher (a major no no in my book) or they take up all the room in there.
Kirsten
#34 of 41 Old 11-25-2002, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Kristin, please tell me that your coffee maker is on your "keeps" list????
#35 of 41 Old 11-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Pom

I had a Blackndecker steamer that worked great -- but the lining of the water container started peeling off and I got paranoid that the metal would bleed some stuff into the rice.

After that we got a pressure cooker and love it for rice!

Recipe is for 2 cups brown rice:

3.5 cups water
1 tsp salt (opt)

put all in pot - loose fitting lid - bring to boil over medium heat
cover - bring up to full pressure for 60 secs
turn down to low heat and cook 15 minutes
take off heat and allow to cool down for 10
release any excess pressure
#36 of 41 Old 11-25-2002, 08:12 PM

After over 7 years of trying Ifinally started to be able to cook rice well a few months ago. Pretty much luck and the back of the rice bag (canilla rice). Some people rinse it but I hear it does wash away alot of vitamins.

I want to buy my parentsa rice cooker for Christmas, but financially doubt it will happen. They eat rice alot, cook it in a microwave rice cooker, and personally I find it GROSS! I also feel the ydon't know better rice (ya never tasted anything scary until ya try my Dads "Rice and Peas" lmao-he tries to duplicate the rice and beans he used to eat when he worked in Jamaica laot-by mixing plain white rice (bland) with a can of beans-no seosoning! lol)

As for the Filipino name for the crusty burnt rice, mamy Latinos have a name for that too and many people I know consider it the best part-I know teh name but not the spelling, will check iwth DH later.
#37 of 41 Old 11-26-2002, 12:26 AM

Nope, the coffee maker is not on my "must have" list. If it wasn't for dh, we wouldn't have one at all. I don't even know how much ground coffee to put in per ounce of water. I gave up coffee when I was in college - figured I didn't want to give up everything all at once when I was (later) pregnant (can you tell I am a plan ahead gal?) so I gave up something every few months. Dropped coffee, pop, salt shaker on the table, switched 2% milk to 1% to nonfat, switched white bread to 100% whole wheat. Have never smoked or drank (well, maybe a drink once a year or so) so that wasn't an issue. I am a big water drinker with nonfat organic milk couple of times a day and the occasional orange juice. Before you get to thinking I am too healthy, I have a good relationship with Ben & Jerry if you know what I mean...
Kirsten
#38 of 41 Old 11-28-2002, 06:48 PM

Hi,

I just realized that I use bulgar wheat as a rice alternative. It's cracked, toasted wheat. And it has the bran attached. The thing about it is it doesn't require "cooking" in the same sense that rice does - you pour boiling water over it and wait about 20 minutes for the water to absorb, it softens up that way. Same ratio of water to rice for bulgar wheat. Kind of natural minute rice. And it works and tastes a lot like rice for recepies, etc. It's kinda like cous-cous, but has the bran attached. I just found out that cous-cous is the heart of the duram wheat used in pasta, it's the hard part that doesn't blend well. Bulgar wheat is softer and more like rice.

Hope that was useful
#39 of 41 Old 11-29-2002, 09:17 PM

MysticHealerMom, what does that bulgar wheat taste like? It certainly sounds healthy! I'd like to try some, but I'm SURE Dh would scoff at it as a rice subsitute unless it tastes good with soy sauce! :P Oh yeah, where do you buy it? Whole foods??

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#40 of 41 Old 11-29-2002, 09:30 PM

um, it doesn't taste like much. kinda like rice in that sense. it doesn't have a strong flavor, either way. it is pretty healthy. used a lot in middle-eastern dishes. Should be able to get it at Whole Foods, in bulk or in a package. Or I've seen it at the HF section of regular grocery stores. I think it'd be great with soy sauce. Althought it's not exactly like white rice, closer to brown, but perhaps a little less crunchy.

cheers!!
#41 of 41 Old 11-29-2002, 10:29 PM

I haven't read the replies but I will tell you my secret to perfect rice: A high quality, heavy bottomed pan. If you invest in just one good pan, make it an All Clad saucepan. I haven't had anything but pefect rice since I got this! It makes all the difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page