Making your own juice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2002, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you make your own juice? We got a juicer last year for Christmas and are wanting to make Seb juice when the time comes (not for a while of course). I assume that you would juice the fruits/veggies then water it down. Let me know if any of you do this so I can get some advice.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Banned

Hello Jenn!
I used to have a juicer and would make juice all the time! Boy, I miss it (kiddos got at it once and destroyed it lol!). As for watering it down, it just depends on what you juiced and how it tastes. I never watered down carrot and apple juice, but anything stronger flavored I would add water and brown sugar.
I remember when I first got my juicer and I went crazy and 'juiced' everything! Cucumbers, zuchinni, radishes, ugly fruit, bananas are impossible, and even potatoes! I dunno, just wanted to 'see', you know? For some reason the celery and cucumber juice wasn't too bad, but just about everything else was quite disgusting.
Lettuce makes lettuce flavored water lol! You need a lot of lettuce though lol!
Oh, yeah, spinach wasn't too bad either, but your teeth turn green.

Anyways, hope you have lots of fun and find some really good, yummy juices you like!
Old 11-26-2002, 06:30 PM

Hi there, Jenn!

We don't have a babe just yet, but when we do, and he/she is old enough to have some juice, here is what we will do:

Start with something that kiddos love like 50% carrot/50% apple. And then dilute it by half with water.

This is the advice of Jay "The Juiceman" Kordich.

My husband and I are avid juicers, and there are just so many benefits to fresh juice for children (too many to name!) However, full strength juice could be a little too much for a babe. And Jay also says he would not give juice until the babe is at least one year old.

Before that age, your babe can benefit from YOU juicing lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, and then passing that good stuff on in your breastmilk.

Get yourself a book with some good, yummy juice recipes in it. I recommend Juicing For Good Health by Cherie Calbom. There's some great stuff in there. My fave juice at the moment is apple/lemon/celery. Yum, yum!!!!

Happy Juicing!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 11-26-2002, 06:32 PM

I'm going to slide this over to Good Eating.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a Champion juicer, and I have used it recently a couple of times to juice apples. It makes a really strong, sweet juice that I watered down for my daughter and myself just because it was so sweet. I used mushy apples the last time and ended up with juice that was pretty thick, even after pouring it through a strainer. What was left in the strainer was a really fine applesauce however, which reminded me of baby applesauce (for some reason we always wanted to eat baby applesauce when we were kids, and every once in awhile my mom would buy us a jar as a treat). I've made orange and grapefruit juice in it, too, and I like eating the pulp that comes out. The apple pulp is really good too, when it's fresh--really simple applesauce.

User Tag List