Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-20-2002, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have one?

Do you like to use it?

Do you think it's a wise investment?

Can you use any bread recipe with it or do you have to use recipes specially designed for bread machines?

Any brand recommendations or features to look for when picking one out?

Any thoughts/opinions/anecdotes would be much appreciated!!
#2 of 7 Old 11-21-2002, 10:16 PM

I am no bread maker. I have a Toast Master Bread Box Bread Maker, and it is pretty easy to use. We bought a book called Bread Lovers Bread Machine Cookbook, and it has tons of fun recipes, and doughs, and stuff. I assume if you know what you are doing you can adapt regular bread recipes to the bread machine. Some turn out really good, some turn out so so. I want a bread stone so I can make artisinal bread doughs in the machine and bake them in the oven - baguettes and such. I go through periods where I will use it all the time, then don't for months.
#3 of 7 Old 11-22-2002, 02:56 AM

I love my breadmaker- I couldn't make bread without it! I go through phases of using it and not using it, like Owensmom, but I love it when I do use it. Actually I was planning on making some pumpkin bread tomorrow from a recipe I found online- there are a load out there. I would say if you like bread, and don't like buying the stuff they sell in the grocery stores that has a ton of preservatives in it, it is a great investment.
#4 of 7 Old 11-24-2002, 09:55 AM

(drops down on knees and bows in worship to a small, white rectangular appliance, attop a flower-strewn countertop altar, right next to the Holy Coffee Maker)

all hail the mighty bread machine! praise the mighty bread machine! blessed be the mighty bread machine!

i love my bread machine. (does it show?) we bake in it frequently. however, i find there are relatively few recipes available for whole-grain bread machine bakers. most bread machines perform for white flours, although most have whole grain settings. i love my bread machine so much i've thought about writing a book on whole-grain bread machine baking. think i should?

blessings
#5 of 7 Old 11-24-2002, 10:50 AM

Love our bread machine!!! Use it at least 3 times a week!!! We do bread, but more often we make dough for homemade pizza (yummy).

I also have toastmaster -- it doubles as a toaster oven/regular oven. That is nice -- it saves space because we don't need to have a toaster on the counter.

One thought -- we used to have a breadmaker that made 1 and 1/2 pound loaves. It died after a couple of years (though we definately got our money's worth) and we replaced it with the toastmaster -- which has a 2 pound loaf bread pan. I always have to shave off the bottom/sides of the loaf because they get too crispy -- but the top is yummy. With the 2 pound loaf -- you get a lot more "top." Where the small loaf pans produce little square bread nuggets.

So, in my long winded way, I am trying to say -- buy one with a big full loaf bread pan. It is much better tasting.
#6 of 7 Old 11-24-2002, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by frodo
(drops down on knees and bows in worship to a small, white rectangular appliance, attop a flower-strewn countertop altar, right next to the Holy Coffee Maker)

all hail the mighty bread machine! praise the mighty bread machine! blessed be the mighty bread machine!

lmao at this frodo!!

We wound up getting a Sunbeam the other day and it only makes 1 and 1/2 lb. loafs. Yesterday, we whipped up some pizza dough (yummy) and a loaf of whole wheat bread ( not so yummy). The latter was much like the hard nuggets you are describing, mamaduck. Very tough and chewy. We are going to use it to make our thanksgiving stuffing.

So, frodo, any whole grain recipes you like to share? Or good online sources for recipes you could point me to? I'd be much obliged!
#7 of 7 Old 11-25-2002, 06:48 AM

I can tell you that it used to take up a lot of space on our counter. Now it takes up a lot of room on our pantry floor. Hopefully it will soon be taking up room in the garage sale box! MIL bought it for dh's birthday a few years ago (????) He did make a few loaves with the mixes that came with it. Some were icky, some were OK, they were all hard to cut up but good warm with butter. Too crumbly for sandwiches though so only good for bread and butter or toast. I think it is easier to just get a nice loaf at Great Harvest Bread Company!
Kirsten

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page