Yerba Mate- safe when BFing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2002, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the health food store today and they were giving out samples of Yerba Mate, a tea which contains matiene (similar to caffiene, but without the highs and lows and irritablity that coffee gives you). It is a natural stimulant that apparently is not supposed to interfere with sleep, but give you a boost of energy. Well, itt astes great (like green tea but better), but is it ok to drink whilst breastfeeding? I am thinking I will treat it as I would coffee- ie. a little now and then can't hurt, but does anyone know anymore about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2002, 08:08 PM

I don't know much about it either, but I did read literature saying they recommended it for school age children in the countries where they grow it, as it is supposed to help the body absorb nutrients out of food. So if their diet was deficient, it would help them get the most out of it.
I drank it semi regularily, but did stop when I got pg (although lately I've been drinking a bit of black tea: ) All I know is that in Susn Weed's book 'herbal for the childbearing year', she says to stop drinking caffiene and mattes. Her recommendations for what to avoid while pg are pretty strict, but good.
If your child isn't super newborn, I'd say matte prob isn't too bad. Might even be good??? But then again, this is me who is seriously slacking on what I should/shouldn't intake while pg. (Don't get me wrong, I'm darn healthy, it's just a bit of black tea, like I said. Never did that with ds, though. Stayed off all caffeine until he was about 1 3/4.)

Everything I've read about matte makes it seam quite mild and even healthy. But then it is written by people selling it, of course.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:10 AM

Did you find out anything more about maté teas? I just started drinking one from Celestial Seasonings and I love it. I'm bf'ing too, with a 9 month old.
What I really like- that I am not having these outrageous sugar cravings and the resulting hunger binges that must result from sugar highs and lows. It is oddly satisfying. I'm still having some sweets, but not the outrageous all day cravings like I was having just recently. (I was getting a little worried).
I'm typically a caffeinated tea drinker, not coffee. Right now I'm mixing my morning tea with one maté bag and one regular tea bag. For my other 2 cups of tea during the day, I use the maté.

I'm going to try some other brands and see how they differ.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:32 AM

I just asked this over at breastfeding!

i really want to cut back on coffee...but need a boost!
Old 03-14-2003, 03:57 AM

I think I might have some info on this - I don't remember if I saved it or not - PM me and I'll mail it to you if I can find it.

As I understand it, matteine is not caffeine but something else and it has valuable minerals, etc. so I think of it as a balanced drink. But I also drink a cup of coffee now and then but didn't when preg and with a brand new nursling.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:54 PM

From http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_y.html#mate
Quote:
Yerba Maté (Ilex paraguariensis)

This herb is a popular tea in South America. It contains caffeine (0.3-2.0%), and is a stimulant and a diuretic. The American Herbal Products Association notes that this herb is not recommended for excessive or long-term use. VirtualNutritionist.com notes:

"Excessive consumption of maté may lead to nervousness, and dehydration from its diuretic action. Large doses may cause nausea. Epidemiologists have noticed an association between maté drinking and an increased risk of cancer of the esophagus and kidney. Researchers are unsure, however, what part other factors, including the extremely hot temperature of the beverage that some maté drinkers prefer, tobacco use, and consumption of alcohol and red meat, may play in the increased cancer risk."
See also http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/vnutrit...uides/mate.htm

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List