Sushi and pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-17-2005, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know WHY you can't eat sushi while pregnant? I know about large fish and mercury. I know about tuna and mercury. The place I go to anyway doesn't serve large fish, and you can of course just not order tuna.

I know there's the possibility of foodborne illness. But I *always* go to the same place, it's the ONLY place I will eat sushi. I've been there probably 20 times at least and never a hint of being sick. A bunch of my friends have been eating there longer than I have, nobody's EVER gotten sick.

Are you just more likely to get sick from something that would not make you sick if you were not pregnant?
Or is this just one of those precautionary things where if you know the person making your sushi and you KNOW it's good, then it's OK??

Just curious.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 12 Old 07-17-2005, 01:12 AM

I was told that it is because of bacteria commonly found in sushi that while an adult can handle the fetus is very susceptable to. I did stay off it while pregnant, Cali rolls have no fish so they ae fine, but the raw fish wasn't worth the risk to me.
#3 of 12 Old 07-17-2005, 01:21 AM

I heard it was because of the possibility of parasites, which could cause nutrient problems for mom and baby. Who knows? SIL ate lots of sushi when she was pregnant. She's a little bit ignorant, and she said, "Well, what do you think Japanese women do?" as if the Japanese only eat sushi. I only ate cooked sushi, but I couldn't resist the fish eggs. Do they count as raw fish? I won't judge you if you eat some.
#4 of 12 Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 AM

I think it's because of food borne illness. YOU aren't any more at risk than you are when you're not pregnant. Your baby isn't either, but if you happened to get sick, then the *consequences* would be worse for your baby than they would be for you. Personally, I think that this tidbit of info is along the same lines as "don't drink a drop of alcohol during pregnancy, or terrible things will happen to you". Use common sense. I'm saving the sushi for after pregnancy, but honestly, I don't see what the big deal is.
#5 of 12 Old 07-17-2005, 08:29 AM

I had some sushi last time I was pregnant. I stuck with Cali rolls, and some yummy tempura philly rolls that our fave place makes, so that the salmon was actually cooked, and other cooked-fish and vegetarian rolls. I think I did have some roe, though, on one of the rolls. I will probably have some this time around, too. I hate all these restrictions on pregnancy eating; sushi and subs and soft cheese are some of my favorite foods! so I try to use common sense, like Persephone says.

~nick
#6 of 12 Old 07-17-2005, 09:43 AM

I ate sushi through both of my pregnancies. I refuse to cowtow to the American paranoia about disease. Oh, my god! There might be a germ in that! Call in the SWAT team!

I asked my midwives what they thought about sushi during pregnancy, and the one said, well, you don't want to eat a lot of tuna sushi because of the mercury, but otherwise, why not? The other one who was in the room nodded and smiled. Furthermore, there was a book written by a Japanese American nurse who ate sushi almost every day through her pregnancy, partly just to dispel the myth that it's so dangerous. She, as you might have guessed, was just fine.

Katja, I side with your SIL. Yes, Japanese women don't eat *just* sushi. However, your SIL wasn't proposing that she should eat just sushi either. She was proposing that she should eat it occasionally, as do Japanese women.
#7 of 12 Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson
I ate sushi through both of my pregnancies. I refuse to cowtow to the American paranoia about disease. Oh, my god! There might be a germ in that! Call in the SWAT team!

If only that weren't true.*sigh*
#8 of 12 Old 07-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleurae
I was told that it is because of bacteria commonly found in sushi that while an adult can handle the fetus is very susceptable to. I did stay off it while pregnant, Cali rolls have no fish so they ae fine, but the raw fish wasn't worth the risk to me.
This is also what I was told and why I stayed away from anything where food borne illness is common: deli meats and sandwiches, soft cheeses, deli salads or any restaurant salads with mayo, and sprouts. I was coming off two miscarriages and two years of infertility and did not want to do anything potentially harmful. I do know other mamas who've eaten stuff on on that list while preg and did just fine.
#9 of 12 Old 07-19-2005, 03:08 AM

Raw fish can cause toxoplasmosis (same thing you can get from changing your catbox while pregnant). Toxoplasmosis is an infection that can cause possible congenital malformations or fetal death. That being said, I did choose to eat sushi and sashimi while I was pregnant because most women who own cats (I've always had cats)have been exposed to this and have developed an immunity to it. I also have eated raw fish for years so I didn't worry about it.

The thing about women in other cultures eating raw fish during pregnancy and not getting anything can probably be related to the fact that they have eaten raw fish throughout their lives and have built up an immunity to toxoplasmosis. However, I don't think that pregnancy is the time to pick up the sushi craze, if you've never been exposed previously-KWIM?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#10 of 12 Old 07-19-2005, 06:27 PM

I ate sushi throught my pregnancy. It is no more dangerous to eat sushi when you are pregnant than when you are not. I didn't try any new sushi places while I was pregnant though, I only went to the place that I trust that I have gone to for years. I think that the raw fish was very good for my son's development. Fish are a good source of omega3 fatty acids which babies need. I would have no second thoughts about going to your trusted sushi place.
#11 of 12 Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM

mmmmmmmm, sushi! The best food on the planet!

This was my #1 food during pregnancy. Tons of protein and all kinds of nutrients in the seaweed--not to mention fatty acids from the fish.

Yummy!
#12 of 12 Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Next time I'm preggers, when I get ye old sushi cravings, I can indulge?!?! I don't eat it a LOT LOT but enough over the past couple years I am sure I'm immune to toxoplasmosis now, even if I wasn't already from my cats.

Oh and to whoever asked about the japanese caviar...it is NOT RAW it is OK to eat while preggo, I know cause I asked last time.....my favorite-favorite sushi thing at that time that I craved the most was cali rolls (all cooked NOW I KNOW :P) with masago cover (ie japanese orange caviar) I LOVE it.

YAY! I am looking forward to sharing this news with my sushi buddy who's wanting kids in the next couple years.....she's also had cats and is probably immune. YAY!!

(I ONLY go to one sushi place. There are 2 in town, but I won't enter the other one, it is a trendy, stupid 'Japanese steakhouse' that also serves sushi. I prefer to patronize the little family-owned business downtown where we know the sushi chef's name and we rate a free fruit plate. It is honestly the BEST fruit too! Don't ask me WHERE they buy it, but I craved THAT fruit while I was pregnant. They have the only grapefruit I will eat, the sweetest oranges.....it's just all good! And the sushi place here, even people who have moved away to places with *tons* of sushi-serving restaurants, come back and eat there because well, it's the best. )

I am VERY happy to know I can indulge.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page