What are your eating habits? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of eater are you?
vegan 12 8.57%
ovo-lacto vegetarian (eat eggs and milk) 28 20.00%
ovo vegetarian only 6 4.29%
lacto vegetarian only 1 0.71%
raw foods only 1 0.71%
Hindu vegetarian (no eggs, garlic, etc) 0 0%
non-veg (only fish) 10 7.14%
non-veg (only fish and chicken) 15 10.71%
non-veg (eat everthing under the sun) 60 42.86%
other 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 01-20-2003, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been eating everything under the sun for 26 years. My eating habits are pretty bad . Old habits die hard, but I am trying to change for the sake of my kids.
#32 of 39 Old 01-22-2003, 03:34 AM

95% vegan here, the kids and partner are lacto-ovos.

My family and my in-laws are all very sluggish people, always tired and complaining about being tired. They are huge animal food consumers and actually all my grandparents were meat farmers.

When I was 19 I decided to take the vegetarian path, for environmental, political, health, spiritual and economic reasons. Plus the fact that I realized I just didn't much care for the taste or texture fo meat. Way over-rated.

Its been nearly 20 years since I switched to vegetarianism. I am in great health and have lots of energy which I owe to my diet, while my siblings and in-laws are turning into old people. I have to think it is because of my diet.

Today someone asked me if I am in high school. I graduated in 1981!
#33 of 39 Old 01-22-2003, 10:12 AM

I voted other. We eat whole organic foods. We do occasionally eat meat, but we can get high quality, organic meat from our coop.
#34 of 39 Old 01-28-2003, 01:08 PM

My husband and I have been lacto-ovo vegetarian for 13 years. For us, it was an ethical decision. Over the years, we've learned more about the health and environmental benefits, and feel all the better about our choice. We limit our egg consumption and I only buy eggs from free-range sources. I drink soy milk, instead of cow's milk. I'm actually pretty close to a vegan diet but I don't think I'll ever go "all the way." I admire vegans immensely and have always kept an open mind to a vegan diet but it doesn't feel right for me. I have a problem keeping on weight to begin with so it's nice to be able to eat a much broader variety of foods.

Now the challenge is how to make sure my 17 month-old DD (I'm new but trying to get down the lingo) gets enough fat. She's still nursing but I'm pregnant and trying to limit the nursings a bit.
#35 of 39 Old 01-31-2003, 01:51 PM

I'm mostly lacto-vegetarian, but a few eggs slip into bread products I buy here and there, and there was probably lard in the refried beans I had at the local Mexican restaurant, etc. My husband eats everything (and junk food in copious quantities.) I've cut back on dairy, don't drink milk, use soymilk instead, but still eat cheese and occasionally sour cream or yogurt. My dh gleefully points out that there is no dairy industry without veal, but I switched more for health reasons than ethical ones.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#36 of 39 Old 02-03-2003, 11:32 AM

non-veg (eat everthing under the sun)
#37 of 39 Old 02-03-2003, 07:53 PM

We eat everything under the sun....we love deer, eat tons of fish and chicken and we like ground beef Actually we are opposite of everyone....I think...DH won;'t eat veggies...except corn,lettuce,tomatoes,mushrooms adn olives...I LOVE all veggies and for the most part so doesn't my toddler. The baby wants nothing to do with solids yet and iI'm not forcing the issue...thats our story.. litle but good ;love
#38 of 39 Old 02-06-2003, 11:13 PM

..me, dh, ds (5 in April) and dd (indirectly now - still exclusively breastfed).

We went vegan virtually overnight from being lacto-ovo vegetarians after ds was diagnosed with severe dairy and egg allergies and then just summarily got rid of all animal products (though not honey - so I guess we're not "strict" vegan).

And I guess, through exposure to vegan websites (mostly through surfing for good recipes), we were exposed to factory farming and slaughterhouse atrocities and from there on it became as much of an ethical reason as a health reason. Environmental reasons came last.

We are totally committed to this lifestyle, using only organic, vegan products in our home (with the exception of honey - no animal testing, no animal ingredients and are mostly leather-free) and avoid preservatives, colorings, etc.

I have to say that I *love* cooking and <blush> have a reputation as somewhat of an excellent cook at my ds's school!
#39 of 39 Old 02-07-2003, 03:59 AM

I picked vegan, but actually I'm lacto-ovo- but I just eat eggs and dairy when they're disguised as chocolate chip cookies or scones.

I've been vegetarian for about 12 years, vegan off and on for maybe hl that time. My reasons totally vary! Sometimes it's because of cruelty to animals but always it's about health--both physicl health and spiritual health.

We intend to raise dd to be vegetarian. not sure about vegan. Right now she is lacto-only!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page