What are your eating habits? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What kind of eater are you?
vegan 12 8.57%
ovo-lacto vegetarian (eat eggs and milk) 28 20.00%
ovo vegetarian only 6 4.29%
lacto vegetarian only 1 0.71%
raw foods only 1 0.71%
Hindu vegetarian (no eggs, garlic, etc) 0 0%
non-veg (only fish) 10 7.14%
non-veg (only fish and chicken) 15 10.71%
non-veg (eat everthing under the sun) 60 42.86%
other 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 11-24-2002, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious! If you are veg, how long have you been veg? And why did you choose that particular type of vegetarianism over the others?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 39 Old 11-24-2002, 01:03 PM

I have been vegan for 2 1/2 years, vegetarian for 2 years before that.

I just feel better eating the way I do. I don't get sick often, I have energy, I don't get that overstuffed feeling, I don't have hemmeroids anymore OR constipation...

I started going veg for health reasons, and it has become health and ethical reasons as time has passed.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 39 Old 11-24-2002, 01:34 PM

I have been vegan for 5 years and was lacto-ovo vegetarian for 6 years before that. I became veg for ethical/moral reasons (which is why we eventually became vegan as well), but health reasons have also become a significant reason as I've gotten older.

#4 of 39 Old 11-24-2002, 03:54 PM

Vegan for 5 years. I'm now vegan raw foodist for 8 months. DD, who is 27 months, vegan since birth, and is 75-80% raw.
#5 of 39 Old 11-24-2002, 10:07 PM

well I've been a lot of things... vegetarian, vegan, raw foods, meat eater, etc... now I eat fish , but no dairy, eggs, or meat. I don't know what that'd be called.
I also don't eat sugar or yeasted foods or bread, pasta, or any other processed grains.
This is how I feel my best, so I've discovered through much expirimentation.
#6 of 39 Old 11-24-2002, 10:41 PM

We eat anything here (at least those of us that eat!!). I'm trying to cut down on white bread/sugar, etc. but not having much luck with the others.:

Darshani, Hindu vegetarian, no garlic? May I ask why?
#7 of 39 Old 11-25-2002, 04:04 PM

I was lacto-ovo for 10 years off and on, but now we are lacto-ovo for sure. Those years in-betw I ate some fish and chicken, but I wld only eat them outside, as in in restaurants, etc, because I cld not stand that sensation of raw flesh against my fingers when preparing them, yikes!!
We eat eggs, but I try not to do it too often, somehow their smell puts me off a little sometimes, but I've not found a satisfying egg sub for all my baking needs. btw, vegans can try this website:
http://www.vegancooking.com

We also don't drink cow's milk, I make fresh almond milk for dd, dh uses half-and-half for his coffee and other times we use soymilk.

I love the variety of veggie cooking, so many choices! Guests are always plesantly surprised when we invite them to our house for dinner, they always thot veggies eat terrible food, duh!!

oh, and that non-veg (eat everything under the sun) option scares me. I know people who eat pigeons and snakes and stuff. gives me the shudders. YIKES!!
#8 of 39 Old 11-25-2002, 04:14 PM

I stopped eating meat except fish a couple months ago. I stopped because whenever I ate meat I would get bad diarreah. I feel much healthier now and get grossed out when dp eats steak and such. I decided to still eat fish because I have real dry skin and I feel it helps. I also never drink cows milk and try not to eat any dairy. I still eat eggs once in awhile.
#9 of 39 Old 11-25-2002, 06:54 PM

Was "relaxed" veg in high school (ate fish and dairy) ate anything thru college, became a vegan for quite some time and then due to complications w/ my pregancy started eating protien and iron rich foods including all meats, dairy, etc. I have been working myself off the meats but don't think I can give up cheese again! So I guess I am back to being a "relaxed" veg.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#10 of 39 Old 11-25-2002, 08:15 PM

We are vegetarians, we eat dairy but don't drink milk. I will eat baked goods w/eggs but prefer not to. My dh occassionally eats eggs. I have been veg for 9 years, I was briefly vegan before I got preg w/my dd.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#11 of 39 Old 11-25-2002, 11:59 PM

We eat chicken and occasionally Dh and the girls eat fish. Other than that (maybe 2-3x a week we eat chicken) we eat a mainly vegetarian diet. The chicken we eat is grown by Dh's parents so at least we know what we are getting.

Personally I would rather get back to my ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet but that probably won't happen.
#12 of 39 Old 11-26-2002, 07:27 PM

I've been veg for years, but since ds was born I've been vegan because it made him so sick! (...Ok sometimes I eat eggs, but I like them!)
#13 of 39 Old 11-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Banned

We eat everything under the sun (though snakes??? I think I've eaten any reptile of any sort only once, and that was alligator at a cajun restaurant). Don't knock pigeon till you've tried it. Dd's a fan of pate and liverwurst (though her current faves are tomatoes, mangos and potatoes - and steak is a perrenial fave of hers). We're having roast duck tonight (I love the holidays, when all the great roasting birds become available and/or go down in price!). Mmmmm...crispy skin and tender meat!!!
#14 of 39 Old 12-02-2002, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I voted "other" because I will eat meat when that's all there is or when it would otherwise be thrown away. When a restaurant menu offers a vegetarian option, I will order it unless it's something totally repulsive to me, and I sometimes order things that have small amounts of meat and ask for no meat, e.g. a Western omelet with no ham. The only meat products we use in home cooking are canned salmon (because it's low in mercury and high in Omega-3) and chicken broth (because it's so much tastier than vegetable broth...we'll find a substitute someday!). We do occasionally buy frozen meals (when we are pressed for time and need lunches for work) that contain small amounts of chicken.

This is the current point on a continuum toward vegetarianism that I've been moving along for about 10 years. Mostly, I'm motivated by environmental concern, but health issues come in at a close second. My biggest shift so far occurred when MrBecca and I gave up meat (incl. fish) for Lent earlier this year: I found that my digestion was so much smoother and I just felt better overall. Also, after 6 weeks of avoiding meat, I found I really didn't miss it much! I ate chicken on Easter because that's what the relatives were serving, not because I craved it. MrBecca has a lot more meat cravings than I do and will still order some kind of meat in a restaurant (even when there are veg options) about 75% of the time. I've read that men are more likely than women to "fail" at vegetarianism, and I wonder if there's some kind of biological mechanism at work there...?

At this point, I have no plans to give up dairy or eggs. I'm not convinced that veg substitutes are inherently healthier; I would like to switch to organic, but aside from yogurt that's usually too expensive. Without dairy, I'd have trouble getting enough protein in my diet; as it is, since I love cheese and yogurt, there's no problem.

Animal-rights arguments don't sway me. Factory farming is a travesty, but animal rights are IMO a far less serious concern than the environmental damage, health risks to humans, and general wrongness of it. Yes, animals are living things like ourselves, but so are plants. We can survive only by being part of a food chain. The important thing is to respect our food sources, whatever they are, and avoid wasting them.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#15 of 39 Old 12-03-2002, 05:39 PM

We've done just about every combination, too, and right now are generally whole-foods pesco-veggies. We eat fish once a week, have our own chickens for eggs, and eat some organic dairy. I would be happier with less fish, egg and dairy. DH eats meat for lunch most days, he can't give up the protein.
#16 of 39 Old 12-06-2002, 05:49 AM
Joi

We eat just about everything. My diet is a little restricted due to kidney problems but other than that I am a big food person. Maybe it is my inner chef.................. maybe it is my outer chef?
#17 of 39 Old 12-06-2002, 05:36 PM

Everything under the sun - OK not everything, but that fit best.
I was vegetarian for about 10 years for ethical reasons until I went to school for nutrition and learned more about my body's needs and that I had options that didn't support the big nasty meat business. I only buy organic free-range local meats, dairy and eggs. Actually this year we are about to buy half a cow from a local rancher that raises just a few cows each year and treats them really well, 100% organic too. We are hoping to trade some of this for some wild elk or deer meat. We also hope to start raising chickens for eggs and meat, maybe this summer. We also subscribe to an organic CSA farm for our veggies in the summer, along with growing some too. Both dh and I are athletes and really feel and perform best with meat in our diets. We believe in the whole foods philosophy, so have trouble with tofu and meat substitutes. I've done a lot of experimenting with what feels right for my body, and I now avoid wheat, additives, colorings, anything that is highly processed, white sugar, high fructose-anything and hydrogenated-anything, I guess my list is long... Tho I think that variety in the diet is one of the best things for good health, so I'm glad to have a lot of options.
It's clear that different things work for each person, its good to see so many people who are in touch with that. That is not a common thing!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#18 of 39 Old 12-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Banned

I voted Other.

We eat a variety of foods, but are staying away from high fats/carbs.

We are slowly weaning off meat(being poor has been a great motivator- even for DH) So hopefully within the year we should be meatless eaters.

We eat tons of fruit and veggies. I love making homemade soups and stews.
#19 of 39 Old 12-06-2002, 07:13 PM

We've been vegan for almost 2 years (I know, we're still in the infancy stage!!), and we went about it backwards. DS was diagnosed with milk allergy when he was a month or so old, so I eliminated all dairy products from my diet - this included reading all packaging for hidden dairy. And consequently I doubled my meat intake. After dh gave up dairy, we made the decision to eliminate all animal products from our diets. We don't eat out anymore and I cook a LOT!!! And its starting to taste good too
#20 of 39 Old 12-09-2002, 01:54 AM

I've been a vegetarian of the dairy-eating kind for 11 years now (actually, 11 years this month!). The last straw was a film I saw in school of a slaughterhouse. I'm not a big animal rights freak, but I just can't eat flesh anymore. It feels barbaric. I've never been the kind of vegetarian who gives a hoot what anyone else eats, though, as long as they don't disparage my tofu!

I also am vegetarian for a slew of other reasons: health, environmental reasons, cost... I wish I was vegan, but cheese... man, I love cheese. I can skip butter, ice cream and milk, but cheese... I drink Silk instead of milk, and their yogurt rocks. But fake cheese sucks. I do mostly organic dairy.

My partner eats fish and fowl but no dairy (intolerance).

And, to whomever it was who thought they'd have difficulty getting enough protein without dairy (can't find that post now!): It's pretty easy. Lots of good protein in whole grains, beans, nuts...
#21 of 39 Old 12-09-2002, 01:40 PM

When I met DH he was an "obligatory vegetarian." Meaning he couldn't afford meat, so he was a vegetarian.

I was a sugararian. And a Benny's Burrito's deliveryarian.

Have since both become kosher and have learned how to eat like grown-ups. (Not to mention balance the checkbook.) Now eat anything. But often have guests who assume (by our appearances, we're told ... colorful dress, long-ponytailed hubby, etc.) that we must be vegetarian.

So DH always includes something vegan when he cooks.

We're everythingarians.

But couldn't vote in the poll ...

- Amy
#22 of 39 Old 12-09-2002, 02:41 PM

Amy, I love all your terms!

I still want to know from Darshani about garlic.

And I don't know what we call ourselves. Before last month, I hadn't eaten meat in 10 years. For some reason, I want to eat a lot of steak and other types of beef. No chicken or fish, really. Just beef. I know this sounds yucky, b/c it even sounds yucky to me. It just seems to be one of the few things that quells my nausea.

One of our clients sent us some steaks as a holiday present. It all went downhill from there! :P

Other than lotsa meat (to me it is a lot, but it is nowhere near average), we eat lots and lots of raw fruits and veg, and we eat a few cooked vegetables and lots of nice grains such a cous cous and barley -- that sort of thing.

I have also been craving gingerbread, so yesterday, I made my favorite recipe from Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. You can't believe how delicious it is -- it has 3 Tb of freshly grated ginger that has been sauteed in 5 Tb of butter!!

I digress: Food is such a wonderul gift, and we are so lucky to have so many different foods to taste!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#23 of 39 Old 12-13-2002, 03:20 AM

I've been eating vegan for four years, DH has been nearly vegan except for a daily slice of cheese on his sandwich and the occassional baked good made with eggs/dairy. Also we try to eat as whole-foods as possible and completely avoid artificial colors, flavors, sweeterners, and preservatives. I'm currently experimenting with stevia because I need to cut down on sugar. My baby is almost six months old so I havent' been cooking much since she was born (we've been eating a LOT of frozen vegetables, rice, and canned beans) and boy do I miss my cooking. When we start Delia on anything but BM we plan to feed her vegan too, until she's old enough to decide differently. I'm already dreading the hassles this will cause with family that want to feed her crap! Actually Ithey are quite used to our vegan ways but I expect the problems will be with the candy and soda that are filled with artificial colors flavors and sweeteners. Our cousins give their kids diet soda for crying out loud!

About the garlic: I'm not Hindu so excuse any errors, but my Indian cookbook says Hindu vegetarians avoid garlic and onion because they are strong flavors associated with cooking meat. They may also avoid watermelon or other foods that resemble red flesh.

Jen
#24 of 39 Old 12-15-2002, 12:45 AM

I voted for ovo-vegetarian - we eat eggs but no meat or dairy. We've been dairy free for about six years (no trace dairy, either) and vegetarians for more than a year. DH occasionally eats meat if we order out or visit his parent's house (he had turkey on Thanksgiving) and I have on a couple of occasions had fish in the past year. Rather than label ourselves as vegetarians, I prefer to say that we eat a "vegetarian or mostly-vegetarian diet."

We stopped the dairy due to allergies, and the meat due to a combination of factors including health and animal rights.
#25 of 39 Old 12-15-2002, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adventuregirl
Both dh and I are athletes and really feel and perform best with meat in our diets. We believe in the whole foods philosophy, so have trouble with tofu and meat substitutes.
Yep, you could say the same about DH and me (except for the athlete part).

I don't have so much trouble with tofu if served in miso soup, with greens or meat but prefer not to buy/eat meat substitutes.

I've begun to give DD a little milk now that she's 2 yrs plus but not regularly. We limit our dairy but now we are just trying to eat well and regularly at home, without going out to eat all the time. If $$$ were not an issue I'd eat out ALL the time! So I guess I'm healthier this way - of course if money were not an issue I'd have sushi A LOT.
#26 of 39 Old 12-17-2002, 03:34 PM

Jen P we have the same problem with relatives and junk food. SIL gave 8 month old a little chocolate the other day. I wigged out. I was like no way not this young. they don't seem to get my obsession with organic veggies and no meat till she can decide for herself. I know it will cause issues. Oh, well my babe my choice.

We eat chicken and tons of veggies. DH loves spuds(maybe because he's Irish) so he has them with every meal.
#27 of 39 Old 12-18-2002, 06:16 PM

i've been vegetarian for maybe about 7 or 8 years. that's a guess, i'm not really counting.

my reasons for being vegetarian, in general, include health, politics, ethics, spirituality, and the fact that i really, really love vegetarian cuisine.

my reasons for being lacto-ovo are, first of all, that i haven't found a satisfactory egg substitute for baking. (yes, i've tried egg replacer & don't like it.) secondly i really really LOVE cheese, and the soy cheeses are mediocre at best. thirdly, unitl i get a better blender and can more efficiently make soymilk in my kitchen, the cost is just a bit beyond my reach. (i do make sunflower milk, which is wonderful on cereal or in oatmeal pancakes, but it doesn't clabber properly and the flavor doesn't work for everything.)

even if i did drop the eggs and dairy, i would probably not be considered vegan because i do use honey. i mean no offense to anyone on this board, but i do not concern myself with the plight of oppressed bees.

blessings,
#28 of 39 Old 01-03-2003, 09:50 PM

I stopped eating meat when I turned 12. I'm 35, and in good health. Have tried vegan but had a B12 defficiency after a few years. Iron was high, as were other vit. in bloodtest, so the iron protein problems never materialized for me. Don't believe in vitamins, and all three of my dss heavy:8lbs, 9lbs14ounces, & 9lbs10 ounces at birth. We eat organic foods. Allow organic sugar, honey and maple syrup in baked goods. Lots of vegan baking with kids! We try to use spelt and other flours too!
#29 of 39 Old 01-10-2003, 10:03 PM

We avoid processed foods, hydroginized foods and the such. So not every thing.

Shane
mom to THeodore (3) and Issac (1)

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#30 of 39 Old 01-20-2003, 05:01 PM

We eat it all. But we eat lots of whole foods, very few processed/convenience/pre-packaged foods . . . I've recently begun baking ALL our own bread! We do eat lots of vegetarian meals . . . as someone else said on here, I LOVE vegetarian cuisine . . . I just happen to enjoy meat, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page