Help! Sweet potatoes??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-26-2002, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been invited to a friend's for Thursday. Dh has volunteered that we'll take the sweet potatoes.

This is not something we eat in the UK. Is there an expected way to prepare them for Thanskgiving? I've seen several recipes, but which are traditional, or is it a matter of personal preference? If so, how can I prepare them most easily, bearing in mind that I have a two year old and a four month old, and am also taking a dessert.

aaagh. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 01:05 AM

Here is how I do them.

First I bake all the sweet potatoes. You can do this the day before. Then I peel them. This is the most labor intensive part. I'm sure you could always peel them beforehand and then boil, or however you like to cook them.

Then slice them widthwise into little circles, about a 1/2" thick. Butter a casserole dish. Put a layer of sweet potatoes down. Dot with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Put another layer of potatoes, dot with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Do the same again, but this time add some little marshmallows on top (some people don't like this, but my family does).

Cover with aluminum foil, and bake either beforehand or at the persons house, until everything is melted and bubbly. Take the aluminum foil off for the last 10 minutes or so so the top gets all nice and browned.

You can make this the day before and just keep refrigerated.

You can also add: nutmeg, cinnamon, orange juice, or anything else that sounds good.

Some people whip baked sweet potatoes, but I've never done that myself.
#3 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 03:37 AM

Jeepers, oceanbaby, that sounds really yummy!!! I have a craving for them now.
#4 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks oceanbaby! Sounds yummy - can't wait to try it out!
#5 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 06:09 AM

Britishmum

T

I keep seeing your posts and meaning to ask you where you are from in the UK. I'm from Cornwall and have lived in southern Cali for 3 years now. Practically a local!!
#6 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 01:44 PM

Sweet potatoes the easy and healthy way.

As an alternative... here is what I do, to rave reviews.

I bake the sweet potatoes until they are fully cooked, the day before the event.

I scoop out the flesh (a little easier than peeling) and put it in a crock pot. Stick it in the fridge.

The next day I take the crock pot full of sweet potaotes to my aunt's house, plug em in, and let them heat for 2 hours.

They become so sweet and I don't have to add a single thing to them!!! No butter, no juice, no spices... it's amazing!
#7 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 PM

I like my sweet potatoes a little savory

peel and boil/steam the potatoes just like you would to make ordinary mashed potatoes
mash them
add cream or margerine to your liking
add fresh ground black pepper
add chopped fresh sage
add a dash of balsamic vinegar
salt to taste

and voila the way I like 'em!! you can also use sour cream instead of margerine or regualr cream!!! It's all great what ever you do! I just like to put a little kick into the sweet potato standard here!

Happy Thanksgiving / Harvest Celebration!!
#8 of 8 Old 11-27-2002, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

T SDmommy: I was brought up in Buckinghamshire, went to college in London, lived in Camden Town for several years, then moved out to Surrey, when I couldnt take the city any longer.

I've been here three years now, since marrying dh (who is American/German). I still miss home, but not the weather.....

Whenever I've visited Cornwall it's rained. But it is a beautiful place. Do you get back home often?

Back on topic, now I have to brave the supermarket to buy these sweet potatoes, with a toddler and baby in tow. Should be interesting.......:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page