Coconut oil question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2002, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just made a pie crust using coconut oil. I got the recipe out of one of my vegan cookbooks, and I tried the non-coconut oil recipe and was excited to try the coconut oil crust. I bought the coconut oil from Wild Oats. When I opened the jar of oil, it smelled nice and coconuty, but I made the mistake of tasting it and it had a kind of unpleasant aftertaste. Then when I was mixing it in with the flour, yuck, the smell was horrible. I thought maybe it was rancid, but the jar was new and the pull date is not for a long time. It didn't taste like other rancid oils I've tasted. Now I'm just trying the pie made with the oil and I don't like it at all. I will admit that coconut also has an unpleasant aftertaste to me, but nothing compared to the oil.

So do I just have a bad jar of coconut oil, or does it always have such a sharp kind of flavor? It's supposed to have a mild flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2002, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if it was a bad jar or not, but I will concur that baked goods made with coconut oil leave an aftertaste in my mouth too.

a friend of mine made me a chocolate cake using coconut milk or oil or something and it just overpowered the rest of the flavors. now when she bakes for me I tell her not to use the coconut stuff if she can help it.

So, I don't have advice, but you're not alone!
Old 11-27-2002, 04:04 PM

I would tend to stay away from coconut oil because it's all saturated fat.....but I've never tried baking with it so don't have any good advice.

What about trying these made with canola oil? I haven't tried them myself but I've heard that canola oil crusts do pretty well.

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com...npiecrust.html

http://www.vegsource.com/joanne/qa/qapiecrust.htm

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 11-27-2002, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Jane, thanks for the links! I'm going to use canola oil for the pie I make today. I got the recipe from a vegan cookbook, and she has both a coconut oil and canola oil crust. I've tried both of them and liked the canola oil crust much better (although I didn't have any canola oil on hand so I used safflower). The other pie crusts I've checked out have shortening or lard as the fat, so I figured the coconut oil crust would be similar. I've also made crusts with butter, and wasn't too thrilled with how that turned out. There was that website that was promoting virgin coconut oil (I think there was something about it on the Mercola site) and so I thought I'd try it, but I can't get past the flavor. It's almost soapy.

Oh, here is something from the Mercola site: http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/coconut_oil.htm

I didn't read it all, but I did see that the article claims that coconut oil doesn't go rancid very easily, so I think this is just the normal flavor. The kind I bought is the expeller pressed food quality kind, not the cosmetic grade, just in case anyone was wondering. :LOL
Old 11-30-2002, 02:36 AM

What are you going to do with all your coconut oil? Maybe you could make hand lotion or lip balm with it.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dovesong
What are you going to do with all your coconut oil? Maybe you could make hand lotion or lip balm with it.
I was thinking of that, or using it has a hair conditioner. It is so dry here, I need something. But the smell beneath the coconut smell is not pleasant to me, so I don't know if I could deal with it.

User Tag List