yummy and we enjoy them 55 67.90%
just wrong-- if you are going to be veg, be pure 26 32.10%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 12-24-2002, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was also looking for an "other" choice. I think on the whole, the idea of "meat subsitutes" is not something that fit's our lifestyle. However, I do have a weakness for the occasional veggie burger! I'm glad to see resturants serving them, but prefer a good veggie sandwich or salad myself.

I don't consider tofu to be a "fake meat" product. Perhaps I'm deceiving myself. We do eat tofu often and love it cooked a variety of ways.

~b
#32 of 37 Old 12-25-2002, 07:00 AM

We're not vegetarian but we really like tofurkey deli slices and it's one way I can get protein into my 4 year old. My kids also like Tofu Pups. And we all love tempeh burgers, though that's not really meat sub.
#33 of 37 Old 01-09-2003, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is anyone here familiar with the group "The Arrogant Worms"? They have a hilarious song called "Carrot Juice is Murder." It talks about the slaughter of turnips, the screams of the vegetables as their skins are peeled, gardening as oppression to vegetables, uncaging tomatoes, setting potted plants free, not mashing the poor potatoes. I first heard it at a concert with a mostly vegetarian crowd and everyone loved it.

#34 of 37 Old 03-06-2003, 09:01 PM

I have cut down on them quite a bit. But when the kids want "chicken" I would rather it be fake! (and so would they!) Some of it isn't too bad either. I really like veggie burgers!

HEATHERH

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#35 of 37 Old 03-10-2003, 02:39 PM

Well, we are slowly making the turn to vegetarian, and we really enjoy some of the "fake meats"

Dh eats the gardenburger riblets...and we really enjoy the morningstar sausage patties.

But I think, like everything, you have to eat it in moderation. It is not an "every night" type of food....

it would be the same if we were drinking soy milk constantly etc...too much is not a good thing.

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#36 of 37 Old 03-10-2003, 07:05 PM

I know it's soooo bad, but I am addicted to Morningstar chix patties. I can't believe I'm admitting this, I probabably eat them twice a week. They're really good with spaghetti. I also pack my daughter sandwhiches with fake turkey and bologna. I know I should give it all up but they are really convienient.
#37 of 37 Old 03-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
We don't eat red meat, but still eat poultry.
We use Gimme Lean...both the sausage and beef flavor.
I have a soft spot for my mom's beed stew - and I don't eat red meat - so I got the recipe from her and made it with gimme lean!! Worked great!
I make Chili with it - yummy!! And Jambalaya with it as well! Turns out great.
We also eat Boca and Gardenburgers.
Never could do the fake hot dogs...but I found really good organic chicken ones with no nitrites.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page