yummy and we enjoy them 55 67.90%
just wrong-- if you are going to be veg, be pure 26 32.10%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the discussion came up on the Tofurkey thread . . .

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 08:50 PM

I scoffed at fake-meat products for many years, but since trying to find good food choices for complicated situations (like those endless summer barbecues, and kids with different needs/allergies etc) we now use them regularly (fake bacon and soy sausages mostly) and I am unlikely to scoff at anything anymore
#3 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 08:51 PM

I am not vegetarian, but I have been avoiding fake meat products ever since reading about the possible cons of too much genetically modified soy products in our food. I actually worry about the health of one friend who lives on Yves Rocher hot dogs and burgers.
#4 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 08:57 PM

from what ive read, eating soy products that are not fermented is really unhealthy. i read it in nourishing traditions... very good book by the way
#5 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 09:00 PM

As a rule, I prefer to stay away from any type of processed food.
#6 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 09:55 PM

I like fake meat products that taste good, they don't all taste so good.

Just because someone goes veggie doesn't mean they miss the TASTE of meat, just the cruelty or unhealthiness of it. If someone wants to serve me a fake meat product and it tastes good, I'm all for it.
#7 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 10:15 PM

I'm veg and I like them. I do consider them junk food but we do indulge!! Gardenburger riblets are very good!! I have read just as many good studies on soy as bad so I just try to eat it in moderation. Although we(my family and I) probably eat too much.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#8 of 37 Old 11-27-2002, 11:37 PM

i used to eat morningstar farms black bean burgers all the time. they were damn tasty! we're eschewing processed foods these days, well, except for those damn m&ms that keep coming into the house!
#9 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by shoshannas mom
we're eschewing processed foods these days, well, except for those damn m&ms that keep coming into the house!
So you could say you're chewing the M&M's.

In general I don't buy many of the fake meat things since I'm trying to cut out the processed stuff, but sometimes I really enjoy them. I eat the Boca Burger Italian sausages occasionally.
#10 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dodo
I am not vegetarian, but I have been avoiding fake meat products ever since reading about the possible cons of too much genetically modified soy products in our food. I actually worry about the health of one friend who lives on Yves Rocher hot dogs and burgers.

I think Yves might be one of the companies which doesn't use GMO soy and prints that right on the package (a symbol proclaiming "non-GMO-soy"). I could be wrong. Most companies which make fake meat (and cater to the veggie/organic crowds) will either use organic soy (best) or at least non-GMO soy, and say so on label or in ingredients. I don't buy fake meats and such if they aren't organic and/or aren't labeled GMO free.

BTW if it is organic, it does not contain GMOs.

I grew up eating meat daily, and I do like it... I just don't like the killing part, so I usually don't eat meat. I like the fake meat here and there for protein and variety. I do think of it as closer to junk food usually though (it is added to be a compliment to other parts of the meal, not to be the center of attention...excluding tofurky at Thanksgiving of course), and it's not a mainstay of our diet or anything. Well I am babbling now !

I DO likebeing able to get a gardenburger at most restaurants, times are finally changing (a little).

Hey, Question : on the topic of processed foods... would you (anyone/everyone) consider meat a processed food ? I mean really, it was an animal's life work to *process* that food... eating GMOs themselves, and fodder with yucky chemicals perhaps sprayed on it, etc. The fat is where a lot of toxins are stored right ? And Liver ? ISn't that like a sponge that cleans one's blood, and wouldn't a liver be like the vilest thing to eat ? (like a dirty sponge ?) Yet some people like it... anyways, I meat seems kinda processed too, naturally. (*not coming down on people who like liver, JMO*)
#11 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 03:36 PM

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years, and never used to like the fake meat stuff at all - I thought it was silly, really. And the more realistic ones grossed me out. But... I've grown to appreciate boca burgers. And morningstar sausage patties are really good! We don't eat a ton of it, just now and then... You know, lazy dinner nights.
#12 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 06:20 PM

I'm thinking these days that we eat too much tofu and tempeh, but in general, we're a pretty veggie vegetarian household.

That said, summertime and now kid birthday parties are a lot easier when I can show up with a Smart Dog or Boca burger for DD.

And I love Yves Canadian bacon; I never lost my love for BLTs (a great use for our summer tomatoes)!
#13 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 06:39 PM

Quote:
BTW if it is organic, it does not contain GMOs.
From what I understand, organic doesn't mean GMO-free, hence why many people on these boards don't feed their babies Gerber's organic purées.

Where I live, it is not possible for companies to label products GMO-free.

Edited to say that a quick Internet seach has proven me wrong. I will have to do more research. The major supermarket chains refuse to allow GMO-free products to be labelled as such.
#14 of 37 Old 11-28-2002, 08:14 PM

Generally, I don't like fake meats. I always feel, eat the real thing!!! Also, a lot of fake meats are in general processed foods, when I read a long ingreds list, I tend to put down the package n look for smth fresh to cook instead. We only eat Chinese vegetarian ham (better than any Tofurky or other veggie deli meats!) once in a while n when I'm really pressed, Morningstar veggie burgers.
#15 of 37 Old 11-30-2002, 04:32 PM

I'm bumping this up for Autumn Wind.
#16 of 37 Old 12-01-2002, 03:51 PM

Can I post here, I'm not veggie? I hope so...
I looked into the meat substitutes for my husband, but I found most to contain modified food starches and hydrogenated oils and crud like that. Since he won't eat mushrooms and the most healthful of the substitutes are mushroom based (veggieburger), that left out veggie meat products.
I separate vegetarian friends into two catagories, ethical vegetarians and health vegetarians. Then I can remember what to feed them. The ethical veggies don't eat fake meat, the health ones do. I usually don't tell then which catagory I put them into, though.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#17 of 37 Old 12-01-2002, 07:13 PM

Hmmm... Apricot, are you talking about their ethics or yours? I am a vegetarian mostly for ethical reasons (want to minimize the killing done in my name) and I consume fake meat thingies sometimes. Since a lot of the fake meat thingies are full of crud, it might be the other way around - the veggies who are in it for health reasons wouldn't eat the fake meat, the ones in it for ethical reasons would...

Of course, I think most vegetarians have a combination of reasons for their dietary choices. I certainly do.
#18 of 37 Old 12-01-2002, 11:10 PM

I was once scared of them but do try them now. I really like all american Boca Burgers and Morningstar spicy something-er others and of course tofu. Also I am fortunate to live close to an excellent veggie restaurant that makes great bean, grain sandwiches and stuff. I have a recipe for veggie burgers you make from your own veggies and grains but have yet to try it. Oh and for Thanksgiving I tried fieldroast-a lentil and grain thing, pretty tasty.
#19 of 37 Old 12-02-2002, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tara
Hmmm... Apricot, are you talking about their ethics or yours?
Mostly their ethics...like a friend who doesn't eat animals because that is not the way humans should eat (ethics). He doesn't do meat substitutes. Or my co-worker who doesn't eat meat because of his cholesterol (health), he eats any- and everything, including substitutes. The two people I know who have made this choice don't know much about food, if they really knew anything, they'd know it's the fat, not the meat. I don't need to have a real finger on what they eat, just enough to know whether I can throw a veggie-burger on the grill, or if I need to make sure there are other things on the menu at work parties.

I have been thinking, though, as I write. I think it's because I am reasonably young. Most of the vegetarians I have met have been teenaged girls who see Bessie's big brown eyes in every hamburger and couldn't ever possibly eat anything meat-like again. (That came across snarky and I meant it that way. If you didn't know where meat comes from and you're 19, maybe you need a wake-up call). As I get older, I've met a lot more very wonderful people with all kinds of reasons to be vegetarian, other than, "You mean they get JELL-O from animals!?!"
Uh, oh. Now I really know I shouldn't have posted where I don't belong.

#20 of 37 Old 12-02-2002, 02:22 PM

Oh, no, Apricot - you belong here! I worried that the tone of my post was a little attacking, when I didn't mean to be at all. It was meant to come across more curious, like, "Hmmmm, I don't think I fit your dichotomy of vegetarians...". No big deal...
#21 of 37 Old 12-02-2002, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
In general, I prefer foods that substitute for meat dietarily but don't even TRY to seem like meat. I love veggie burgers that taste like veggies, i.e. most flavors of Gardenburger and Morningstar, but have never had a wanna-be-ground-beef burger that wasn't gross IMO. Smart Dogs so thoroughly disgusted me that I not only couldn't eat one in a bun but had trouble choking it down when diced into 1/4" pieces and mixed into hashbrowns w/all kinds of spices! I do like the veggie crumbles that are flavored like sausage, but only mixed into Spanish rice, etc., not by themselves.

Boca Smoked Sausage is the one fake meat that I will eat by itself. The taste and texture are pretty good, but if I look at it too closely, the coloring bothers me. MrBecca loves it. Since he actually misses meat (I don't much notice if I don't eat any for weeks...I only end up eating it at times because it's convenient in restaurants) I think it's worth buying whenever it goes on sale.

We mostly eat dairy, beans, nuts, eggs, and tofu instead of fake meats.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#22 of 37 Old 12-02-2002, 04:39 PM

OK, I have to admit I have a weakness for those Morningstar veggie corn dogs. Not the best thing in the world, but OK for a fast lunch here and there (and MUCH healthier than the real corn dogs I used to eat in my youth!). I stock my freezer when they go on sale.
#23 of 37 Old 12-02-2002, 08:34 PM

Thank you tara, I kinda worried I was getting the good ol' taste of foot in my mouth!

#24 of 37 Old 12-02-2002, 10:08 PM

But I don't like soy "fakes". I like whole foods. And since I'm not veggie, I do enjoy organic chicken and an occasional organic burger, etc.A W 2ZZ ZDSDXVXVSS
#25 of 37 Old 12-03-2002, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Apricot
Thank you tara, I kinda worried I was getting the good ol' taste of foot in my mouth!
Hmmm.... Now, is that real foot? Or fake foot? Are you an ethical foot eater or a healthy foot eater?
#26 of 37 Old 12-03-2002, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tara
Hmmm.... Now, is that real foot? Or fake foot? Are you an ethical foot eater or a healthy foot eater?
LOL!!

#27 of 37 Old 12-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Banned

I'm a meat eater, but I like some veggie burgers. IMO, vegetarians who eat fake meat because it's as close as they can get to the real thing are sorta, in my mind, like folks on a diet who eat fake dietetic ice cream or something because they miss the real thing. If you eat it because you like it, however, it's a different story.
#28 of 37 Old 12-03-2002, 05:31 PM

We eat Gimme Lean "Soysage" close to once a week. It's so versatile, patties for weekend breakfast, crumbled into 3-bean chili, sauteed in a bit of olive oil and fresh herbs and served over pasta... MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm... I'm gettin' hungry now!
It's non-GMO, but not organic. Other than that, only the occasional veggie burger or tofu meal. We try to stay with unprocessed foods too (minus the 6 month hiatus when DS started walking and I couldn't figure out how to cook and entertain him at the same time )
#29 of 37 Old 12-07-2002, 03:22 PM

I try to stay away from anything processed. Alot of the fake meats contain wheat gluten and things that some people cannot tolerate; myself included. I found that out the hard way though when my health started goin' downhill.
#30 of 37 Old 12-18-2002, 05:36 PM

there wasn't an "other". we use them sometimes. some are disgusting. my husband is a meat-eater and sometimes meat analogs make a nice compromise. my son hates anything that tastes remotely of meat, except for my home-made seitan and a vegetarian "pork" from the oriental grocery downstairs.

they are highly processed and many have too many additives for my taste, but the biggest problem in even the home-made stuff is sodium. the sodium content of some of these products is truly frightening, to someone with chronic very high blood pressure like me.

i've never really considered gardenburgers meat analogs, though. they have a hearty "burger" like texture, but beyond that i think that part of the reason why they taste so good is because they don't try to imitate the taste of meat. they are content to be what they are: grains, veggies, sometimes cheese. by contrast, boca burgers try to hard to imitate meat, and taste terrible.

incidentally, yves i believe is in fact non-GMO, but morningstar farms i think is owned by the green giant people and is not.

i shop at a co-op that doesn't carry GMO foods, so i don't worry about it as far as my own plate is concerned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page