baked french fry-type recipies....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2002, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a good, easy "sweet potato french fry" recipe I've been making for my 17 month old, and he LOVES them. He dips them in maple syrup. The sweet potato fries are baked in the oven, not fried.

Now I'm wondering if there are other kinds of squash or other veggies that you could make like french fries in the oven that could be dipped in something?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 05:22 AM

I don't know, but the sweet potato sounds like a great idea! I'll have to try that. Maybe roasted bell peppers, cut up like fries?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:02 AM

hi i am living in australia and it is far to hot for oven to be on. BUT!! i like to make same thing, i chop pumpkin, sweet potatoe, potatoe, peppers, eggplant, in nice thick slice chunks, then place on rack no pan, no oil., 20 minutes very nice. i dip in sweet chillie suace, an ozie staple. or sour cream mixed with garlic and basil.
pumpkin is a must though!! get a really nice big one that is orange inside. yummy tara
Old 12-01-2002, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like a great idea!

I thought pumpkin would get too soft, though. It doesn't? I cooked a pumpkin recently for the first time, and I scraped out the meat and it was really soft. But I will try that.

He also loves eggplant parm, so I'm thinking I could do eggplant "fries", with some marinara dipping sauce infused with puree'd steamed carrot. I'm going to try that, too.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:31 PM

We use egg whites in ours and only use free-range eggs.

I make potatoes each night for him in the oven like this, so he actually eats something since he's going through that phase now. Most nights i just slice into 1cm by 1cm strips and bake..

You will need:

Egg white
seasoning (doesn't have to be salt and pepper here)

Whip the egg white up with a folk, depending on how many potatoes you need. I use one egg white to 2 potatoes... Add your seasoning to the egg white.. Wash potatoe strips and dry with a towel.. Add to the egg white mixture, then place on a baking sheet lined with cooking paper. I cook mine at 210-220 degrees C for 40 minutes, turning over half way though.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

emerald, thank you for that recipe. we really love baked french fries here. i've been using frozen for regular white potato fries, but i should try it with fresh potatoes. probably would be a lot cheaper, too, aside from being better for us.

User Tag List