rutabaga - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-01-2002, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been getting rutabaga in our CSA box, along with other things like turnips and some other root veggies that I can't remember the names of. Anyway, what the heck do I do with rutabaga? I made some rutabaga casserole recipe that I eventually threw out- something with eggs, breadcrumbs, mashed rutabaga and butter.
Is there any hope for rutabaga, other than drowning it in butter and cheese? I just put one on the compost heap because it finally starting to get moldy in the fridge.
I can't write this on my CSA listserv, because then I sound like a seasonal local foods traitor. They don't seem to acknowledge my big efforts to adjust. whine whine...
Rutabaga? please? help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-01-2002, 09:45 PM

I would roast it with carrots. It gets really sweet when roasted.

Also, try doing a search at www.epicurious.com, or at the recipes section of www.farmfreshtoyou.com. That is where I get my delivery from, and they have many good recipes.
#3 of 16 Old 12-01-2002, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today at the grocery store, ds called a rutabaga a ball and I told him no, that it was a rutabaga. My dh said, what do you do with it, I responded that I had no idea!!! Maybe it's time for me to step out of my food comfort zone and this post was a sign!
#4 of 16 Old 12-01-2002, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Those links were just what I needed, both great!
Do you really like rutabaga Oceanbaby? Are there others out there that seek this root vegetable out in the winter?
#5 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 02:02 AM

I can't say I seek it out, but I do like it. This is one reason I subscribe to the weekly organic delivery - it forces me to eat produce that I normally wouldn't buy!
#6 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 03:57 AM

Mmmm....rutabega. My mom said her only craving during pregnancy with me was rutabega.

Yummy, yummy rutabega.

Here's like the best dish in the entire world, the one that makes everyone I serve it to think I am the Queen of Cooking.

Take a bunch of various root vegetables: RUTABEGA, carrot (as oceanbaby said) turnip, potato, sweet potato, turnips and beets (or any combination thereof) peel and dice into bite size cubes. Peeled winter squash and mushrooms are good additions too. peel a big handful of garlic, slice a red onion or two (or yellow) into chunks and then toss it all in a big bowl with a couple-three glugs of extra virgin olive oil, a glug of balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper and dried savory herb of your choice (rosemary or thyme are my faves). You want all the goodies well coated but not dripping with the marinade.

Crank the oven up to 400 or so, spread the veggies in a rimmed baking sheet (i used half sheet pans, aka jelly roll pans). It can be helpful to line them with parchment paper; otherwise you'll be applying elbow grease when it comes to washing them. Roast about a half hour, forty minutes, tossing them every so often. They'll be fork tender when done, some of them kinda browned.

You'll be amazed at how good these nerdy vegetables can taste.

My mom sometimes boils a turnip or rutabega with the spuds when making mashed potatoes- it's pretty good. (my secret ingrediant is to boil a few garlic cloves along with it all and mash them too)

I love CSA boxes!
#7 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are CSA boxes?? Having different good veggies every week sounds awesome!!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#8 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 05:00 AM

CSA= Community Supported Agriculture

Generally some local, small organic farm that otherwise wouldn't have a hope of supporting itself will start a "subscription" program; you commit to it for the season and pay a weekly fee in exchange for a weekly box of whatever produce is fresh and in season. Sometimes you get a LOT of salad greens and sometimes youget a LOT of winter squash but (if it's a decent place) you mostly get good variety. I found it to be a total lifesaver with kids, because it saved me at least one trip to the store each week and I didn't have to think ahead to what I'd need. I just work with whatever they gave me. Sometimes there was surplus, but most of that was freezable or cannable (cannibal?). If you're interested I bet your local extension service could refer you to one.
#9 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 05:34 AM

I had to go look up rutabaga on google to work out what vege it was & it was a swede! I've usually eat them mashed with butter ( or marg ) & black pepper. I'm quite partial to them but just don't get to eat them that often. I think you could use them instead of kohl rabis in stews as well. In my poverty striken student days, I used to make veg stews with a mixture of all kinds of seasonal cheap root veges & backed beans. Pretty yum with home made ww bread & butter when you're hungry
#10 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 03:25 PM

Hey, cool- I always wondered what a swede was! (besides 6' tall and blonde...)

Now if I could only figure out mangel-wurzels I'd die happy.
#11 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 04:02 PM

:LOL Sorry can't help you there!
#12 of 16 Old 12-02-2002, 04:19 PM

Lisa-Lynn - check out www.farmfreshtoyou.com. They are a co-op of organic farmers. I believe they deliver to the east bay. I like them quite a bit.
#13 of 16 Old 12-06-2002, 05:22 PM

Try dicing it and adding to stews and soup, especially potato soup!

For the non-veg: rutabagas LOVE to be in pot roast, and are nice in beef stew or homemade beef pot pies, etc. They are commonly used in pasties, but I don't know anything about making those!

Other than that, I'll chime in my agreement about oven roasting them (w/other root veggies, garlic, and winter squash cubes)!

Peace (and hot, spiced cider),
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#14 of 16 Old 12-13-2002, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks to your replies, I've made my peace with rutabaga and other winter root vegetables- without having to fix a "gratin". (I've decided that "gratin" means smother it in cheese.)

Per your suggestsion- I like them oven roasted with herbs and then tossed in an herbal vinaigrette or slowly oven cooked in a cast iron pot with chicken or beef. In either case, I like them served over fresh salad greens, preferably hot so they wilt the greens a bit.
Thank you all for giving me these cooking strategies and directing me to other very useful sites.

I can live with, even enjoy, rutabaga now. But how can I live in Wisconsin/Minnesota without liking vegetables au gratin?
#15 of 16 Old 12-14-2002, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by leafylady

I can live with, even enjoy, rutabaga now. But how can I live in Wisconsin/Minnesota without liking vegetables au gratin?
You can't. You'll have to move, like I did.

Imagine....not shoveling the sidewalk....

Glad you've come to terms with the rooty things.
#16 of 16 Old 12-18-2002, 06:32 PM

i love rutabaga! my meat-eating hubby tolerates it. but even he likes it baked with apples, onions a little butter and a sprinkling of brown sugar or sucanat.

i also use it in soups, stews, mashed potatoes, or just chunkeds, steamed and mashed with butter & pepper. i love my rutabaga!

i once had a cat who liked it too, bu she was always a little wierd...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page