can I fry acorn squash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I fry acron squash like potatoes for french fries, or does it have to be breaded, or what? I have some acorn squash but don't want the oven on in the heat. I've tried a google search but didn't get much.

tia!
#2 of 7 Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM

I would think it would be just fine fryed like french fries but, I've never done it. You can also try slicing it thin 1/8 inch and coating it in a tempura batter. Good luck to you let us know how it turns out.
#3 of 7 Old 08-05-2005, 12:27 PM

If you want it crisp, I would do a batter or at least a coating of egg; but if you're just wondering if it'll fry, it will but it's a bit soft, limp. Our boys like squash hush puppies ("fried shut-up dogs") better than than squash fries so unfortunately I don't have many tips. But I find they cook quite similarly to the sweet potato ones, so if you don't like how they turn out you can look for tips that way too as there are TONS of variations for sweet potato fries.

ETA: Oh and if you do bread them, they'll come out nicer if you pan fry or saute them in a little oil rather than deep frying.
#4 of 7 Old 08-05-2005, 04:01 PM

I usually saute them in a little olive oil or butter. That works great, the hard part is cutting it up.
#5 of 7 Old 08-05-2005, 04:33 PM

If you have a crockpot, you could cook them in it and plug it in outside or in the basement or something. I know someone answered your question and said they can be sauted, but I thought I'd mention the crockpot because cutting raw squash always seems nearly impossible to me.

I don't have crockpot instructions handy at the moment, but I bet you could google it if that option sounds useful.
#6 of 7 Old 08-05-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:
If you want it crisp, I would do a batter or at least a coating of egg; but if you're just wondering if it'll fry, it will but it's a bit soft, limp. Our boys like squash hush puppies ("fried shut-up dogs") better than than squash fries so unfortunately I don't have many tips. But I find they cook quite similarly to the sweet potato ones, so if you don't like how they turn out you can look for tips that way too as there are TONS of variations for sweet potato fries.
Yah, I was thinking it would be just like sweet potatoe's or yam's so you may want to search under that. I like food tv and epicurean .com
#7 of 7 Old 08-06-2005, 07:51 PM

This acorn squash soup is my DH's favorite meal ever. He begs for it. I actually planted acorn squash this year just to make this soup. It is really good. You have to make the croutons, though, because they have so much flavor to add. I use carrots intead of parsnips because I keep them on hand. I also use a little less cayenne pepper for picky DH, although I think it tastes good with the full amount.
To cut raw squash, it is much easier if you cut it in half and then microwave it for 1 or 2 minutes to soften it.
Bon apetit!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page