Pasta maker, worthy to buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-04-2002, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

my 17-mth-old ds is a very, very picky eater. He loves nooddles but almost nothing else. I am now thinking of buying a pasta maker so that I can mix some vegetables or maybe fish into the flour mix to make nutritious pasta. Do you think it makes sense? I never made pasta myself so I don't know if past can still be made with all those non-flour, non-egg, and non-water ingredients. Should I spend that money ($37 cheapest) to try it out? Any good recipe, anybody?

Thanks for any advise.
Timmy's Mom.
#2 of 5 Old 12-04-2002, 06:55 PM

I reckon go for it, i've never seen them, but if you're going to be making heaps of pasta for your boy then i would say go for it. As you can use it later on down the track to.
#3 of 5 Old 12-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Banned

Having tried both an electric pasta maker and the old-fashioned, metal, hand-crank kind, I strongly recommend the old-fashioned, hand-crank kind. You don't wash them, by the by - you just wipe any flour dust off of them.

Dh is the designated pasta maker in the family, so I don't know the proportions, but all you need is semolina flour, regular flour, and some water or egg as a binder. You can move on to other types of flour, like buckwheat, as well. Kneading appropriately and then refrigerating the dough for at least 20 minutes before cranking it out are key.
#4 of 5 Old 12-04-2002, 09:13 PM

Yes you can flavor pasta with vegetable juices. I have even pressed herbs into homemade lasagna noodles for decorative effect.

I say go for. Just remember when you find a recipee you like modify but keep the liquid/solid ratios similar.

Good luck
#5 of 5 Old 12-05-2002, 11:37 AM

I say go for it, too. Homemade pasta spoils you for any other kind. Plus, you are in full charge of what goes in and there are endless variations of ingredients, because there are no rules! (As long as you keep the dough consistency right.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page