Dairy free calcium sources.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2002, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest 2 daughters have frequent stomach-aches and I am going to try to take them off milk/dairy to see if it makes a difference. My mom, 2 sisters, 1 brother & 2 nephews all get sick from any milk/dairy and I do if I have more than just a little bit, so I figure it's the easiest dietary change to try.

My question is... what non dairy forms of calcium are there? I know there are lots, my brain just doesn't work right now. :LOL

We buy calcium-fortified orange juice, designed specifically for people who don't drink milk, but other than that where can they get calcium? I thought I heard broccoli has it? But how much?

Any ideas/help/suggestions welcome!

editted to add: I forgot to mention that they won't drink soy milk at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2002, 08:38 PM

GReen leafy veggie's are supposed to be high in calcium but i have read that you have to eat a LOT (like 5-6 cups) to get enough.

Some tofu's are coagulated with a kind of calcium but you have to check the label to make sure.

Salmon bones have calcium in them.

What about a supplement? The calcium in that they use in tums is supposed to be the most bio-available of the calcium supplements. I only suggest supplementation bc you already mentioned using OJ with added calcium. I think a lot of pple prefer to get their vites and minerals from the food source instead of from a pill. *edited to say that i use a generic 'tums' supplement because i no longer drink cow's milk and sometimes dont feel like eating enough of the other things to get all the calcium i need*
Old 12-04-2002, 09:38 PM

Even if they don't like soymilk straight, they may not notice if you use it to cook and bake with. Also, give Chocolate Silk a try. I don't know any kid who turns their nose up to that.

Calcium fortified OJ is great.

Other sources are tahini, cashews, brazil nuts, other nuts that escape me at the moment, green leafy veggies like romaine lettuce, broccoli, spinach, kale, mustard greens, chard. I know, not that kid friendly!

Around our vegan household we rely on fortified rice milk, juices, and tofu.

Tofu set with calcium carbonate is an excellent source.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin Pavlina

Other sources are tahini, cashews, brazil nuts, other nuts that escape me at the moment, green leafy veggies like romaine lettuce, broccoli, spinach, kale, mustard greens, chard. I know, not that kid friendly!
Other than the nuts my kids actually LIKE most of those foods!!! Actually their favourite is spinach & chard! It's hilarious watching people's reactions when they ask my daughter's what their favourite food is. Youngest: Broccoli, Middlest: Celery, Oldest: Spinach!!! Yes, I have weird children On their birthday they can pick ANYTHING they want for supper, everything is fair game... so you'd think it'd be all junk, but no, the favourite birthday meal is spinach noodles with a spinach sauce! :LOL
Old 12-05-2002, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Meat and Eggs are also good sources of Calcium

My kids have lactose intolerance and I started buying chewable dairy free acidopholus tablets at the health food store. It makes a big difference because dairy products are in so many things that it is hard to completely avoid it.

Yogurt is also good for many people with just a small amount of lactose intolerance. We get the all natural one and add fruit or jelly.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:34 PM

Also tahini, almond butter, blackstrap molasses, figs, legumes, dried beans, soy flour, amaranth, quinoa. Silk makes a good dairy-free yogurt too with lots of calcium and you can buy powdered calcium supplements at health food stores. Good luck!

User Tag List