Mothering Forum banner

Enchilada Sauce Recipes?

779 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  leafylady 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good recipe for enchilada sauce. I was thinking along the lines of the tomato-based sauce that restaurants commonly serve, but a good verde version would also be appreciated.
Thank You,
alsoSarah

#2 ·
I am unsure if this is like the one that is served in restaurants, but it is one I have used. It is based on the one in the Betty Crocker cookbook~

2 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes

Directions

1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until light brown. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, and tomatoes. Break up tomatoes.
2 Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

#3 ·
Thank you for the recipe, Serenetabbie!
I have been feeling so very enchilada-y lately. This will surely help me out...
Happily,
alsoSarah

#4 ·
this is the sauce I make. I'm not sure about the measurements since I mostly just throw it all together, but I'll try giving appx. amounts.

3 or 4 dried Ancho chiles (they look like giant raisins), found in Mexican markets
4 cloves of garlic
1 can tomato sauce

Put chiles and garlic in a saucepan with water just enought to slightly cover the chiles, proabably about 2 cups. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Let cool. In a blender put the cooked chiles, garlic and can of tomato sauce and about 1 and a half cups of water. I usually use the water that I boiled the chiles in. Blend until a smooth sauce is made. Add salt to taste. Done.

If you don't want it too spice, cut the chiles in half and take out the seeds.

#6 ·
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp flour
1/4 cup chili powder ( a real dried chili, not the blend stuff) You can blend your own with different varieties to make your own degree of spicy. Chipotle will make it spicy and smoky.
2 cups of chicken broth

Cook for 15 minutes. Thin with water or chicken broth to desired consistency.

A cook told me this and it worked out just like I wanted it to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.