Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Building a COB Tea House
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I almost alway bring my lunch to work. So does my husband. Here are things that work for us:
* I always bring a salad that has greens, a nut or seed, a dried fruit, a cheese,
and salad dressing on it. I find romaine holds up well. Everything else really
depends on what is in the frig
* peanut butter and jam sandwiches (homemade bread and jam)
* hummus and cheese on tortillas or in separate containers to go with crackers.
* cheese and crackers
* fruit: apples, oranges, grapes, cherries.... what is in season or does not
* if you do not have access to a microwave or bunsen burner, purchase a wide-
mouth thermos and bring in soup, chili, stew....works well and for winter days
or cold labs is warming
* if you have access to a microwave or bunsen burner, leftovers from dinner the
night before, no matter what it is. I always cook leftovers and my husband
finds that they last longer in his stomach then a sandwich.
FYI, it is the egg that has the biggest issues when it comes to dip, so most dips would be okay for the time they are out of the frig as long as they do not have egg. I would lean to a yogurt or sour cream based dip if you eat dairy. I also have carried breakfast to work in the form of yogurt and fruit in a canning jar. It worked well.
My suggestion would be to invest in some pyrex dishes with covers or canning jars. They both travel well and then you do not have issues with off-gassing from plastic containers.
I hope that helps.