easy to make, easy to carry lunches - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need suggestions for easy to make, easy to carry lunches for me. I am back at school and have a LONG day with a chemistry lab that does not allow me to go home for lunch. The cost of buying lunch at school is well....ridiculous. Today I just brought a sanwich and a drink but I would like more suggestions for more healthy and filling options. I am thinking veggies and dip would be nice but I dont know how to make any dips that wont spoil while I'm in class. Any suggestions are really appreciated, I need all the ideas I can get. TIA!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 01:35 PM

I almost alway bring my lunch to work. So does my husband. Here are things that work for us:

* I always bring a salad that has greens, a nut or seed, a dried fruit, a cheese,
and salad dressing on it. I find romaine holds up well. Everything else really
depends on what is in the frig

* peanut butter and jam sandwiches (homemade bread and jam)

* hummus and cheese on tortillas or in separate containers to go with crackers.

* cheese and crackers

* fruit: apples, oranges, grapes, cherries.... what is in season or does not
smash easily.

* if you do not have access to a microwave or bunsen burner, purchase a wide-
mouth thermos and bring in soup, chili, stew....works well and for winter days
or cold labs is warming

* if you have access to a microwave or bunsen burner, leftovers from dinner the
night before, no matter what it is. I always cook leftovers and my husband
finds that they last longer in his stomach then a sandwich.

FYI, it is the egg that has the biggest issues when it comes to dip, so most dips would be okay for the time they are out of the frig as long as they do not have egg. I would lean to a yogurt or sour cream based dip if you eat dairy. I also have carried breakfast to work in the form of yogurt and fruit in a canning jar. It worked well.

My suggestion would be to invest in some pyrex dishes with covers or canning jars. They both travel well and then you do not have issues with off-gassing from plastic containers.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:12 PM

I was watching food tv the other day and Rachel Ray made a sandwich that will not spoil on a long day. It was made with chicken, but you could substitute with tofu or veggies.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31494,00.html

I think hummus will be ok for long periods and you could dip pita and veggies.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:37 PM

When I was taking sack lunches, I loved taking "pockets". I would load them with different things and make a whole bunch then freeze them. I made a basic pizza dough. I put in stuff like tomatoe sauce, roasted veggies, curry, samosa filling, tofu scramble, etc. I would pull them out from the freezer in the morning and then heat them up for a couple minutes when I was ready to eat.

Sometimes I would take a preheated soup or stew in a thermos. Curry also worked well in the thermos. Sometimes toss in rice and sometimes eat with chapatis.
Sandwiches were good and I would take a small freezer pack in an insulated bag to keep things from spoiling.
Wraps with veggies and chees are good.
Bagels with cream cheese and veggies.

I also tried to take a raw veggie, a fruit, and a snack (granola, yogurt, cookies, whatever we had available).

I also took a large bottled water.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas! i'm sorry if this is a dumb quesiton, but what is hummus? I keep hearing about it but have never tried it.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

User Tag List