Condiment ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-13-2002, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw a naturopath yesterday with my baby, and I'm going to do some major dietary restrictions. Among zillions of other things, no dairy, no eggs, no chickpeas, no wheat, no beans or lentils, no tomatoes, no pears, no avocado. I just bought some rice bread and it looks like it will taste like a frisbee. What can I use to add some flavor to my sandwiches? And for that matter, how do you not eat any of these things and not go very hungry? I am worried about losing too much weight, but I definitely want to give this a try and see if it helps my little one. Can anybody give me any ideas to get started?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Banned

Indian chutneys and pickles (at least those that don't contain tomatoes) should help add some tasty zing.
#3 of 4 Old 12-16-2002, 04:06 PM

We had some rice bread that looked bad, and was rock hard until I toasted it, which made it warm and kind of soft and it tasted like Zucchini bread. It was nummy. We have some stuff called Better Than Cream Cheese by Tofutti, and it is really good. I had some on one slice of bagel, and regular cc on the other, and it actually was better! Looking at the ingredients it looks like something you could have. That is, if you can have soy.

There are also puffed cereals that are puffed rice, kamut, millet, that you could have. If you can eat soy, edamame (frozen soybean pods) are a yummy and filling snack.

I found some toaster waffles that are wheat free, don't know about their other ingredients but I had some brand that had flax in it and they were awesome.

The World Vegetarian cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey might have lots of recipes you can use - unusual grains and the like. Good luck! We tried to go wheat free for just a week, and it was tough, I can't imagine what you have to do.
#4 of 4 Old 12-19-2002, 09:27 PM

Looks like rice will be important and veggies - I second the curry suggestion. I put some in my rice while it is coooking and then eat it with veggies - really good.

Soy looks like it is out because "no beans", what about barley? You could make soups that would be good and filling.

I put pickles on my sandwiches to make them yummy - or salad with dressing.

Best of luck,

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page