Do you use your slow cooker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been thinking about buying a slow cooker, but I am wondering if I will actually use it.

Do you use your slow cooker or does it live on your shelf? What kind do you have?

Thanks!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM

I use it at least once a week. Even more in the winter. I have a Rival, I don't know how many quarts, but it easily fits a whole chicken plus more.

I use it to slow cook whole chickens, then I take the meat off and use it for different things. I do lots of slow cooked meats in the winter. Soups are great, just pop everything in in the morning, and voila, dinner at night. I've even done breakfast that you put in the night before and it's ready in the morning.

I my crockpot.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:03 PM

Please more ideas! I just received a crockpot for my birthday and since I take ds to watch a friends babe from 3-530 I would love to have dinner in the pot in the morning.

any recipes???
Old 09-07-2005, 04:31 PM

I use mine about once a week. So it was well worth the $20 or so I paid for it.
I've got some red lentil soup in there right now. (2 c red lentils, 1 chopped onion, about 2 c tomatoes, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tmustard seed, 1/2 t cumin, 1/2 t turmeric, and 5 c water) It's great that I can spend a few minutes in the am and have dinner ready so that I can spend the day with other things. They are great for cooking beans, too. Always come out so creamy.

Mama to 3:
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 PM

the only thing i use a slow cooker for is if i make chili and want to keep it warm while i go somewhere. i think it really depends on what kind of food you like to eat - dh and i eat somewhat gourmet, very fresh foods, so a slow cooker doesn't appear to us at all.

carrie
Old 09-07-2005, 04:39 PM

i use mine almost weekly. right now i've got chicken breasts in there with potatoes, tomatos, garlic, maui onions, some chicken broth & coconut milk. last week it was a pot roast. i've make chili, beef, chicken and fish stews. i've use it for poaching fish. jambalaya didn't go so well. soups soups soups. also, i was reading about using it to make marinara or other red sauces, but i haven't tried it yet.

ETA: i forgot: i have a rival crock pot.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Today I have a roast on because I have my midwife appointment at 4:30. Roast with veggies in a nice gravy will be ready whenever we get home. Yesterday I made baked apples in it. They were delicous! And on the weekend I made a big batch of chili and froze most of it for after baby arrives (in 4 weeks). I love it. Especially for the 1st year or so with a new baby. I always find its easier to get things done in the morning then in that crazy pre-dinner time.

For me the only trick was finding recipes that call for whole foods. Not onion soup mix and such. But I've assembled quite a few recipes that we like and I think are healthy.

Czen
Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mine is churning away on that beef stew for dinner. We love our crock pot.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!

I'm getting this book out of the library to go with the slow cooker!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 09-07-2005, 05:35 PM

that book look great
I need to learn to really use my slow cooker. I am so intimidated by the stupid thing. Not to mention scared my kids will pull it on themselves

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:44 PM

What to look for when buying a crockpot...VERY IMPORTANT
Buy a kind that lets you take out the inner canister for washing, some have the canister built right in and it is a pain in the butt to wash, especially if it needs to soak.

I have 3 crockpots in different sizes.
Small- I use for making dips
Med- Chili, soup, veggies
Large- Chicken, Roast, or a meal all in one
Old 09-07-2005, 06:19 PM

I use mine every other day in the winter! I do breakfast sometimes, dinners usually and chickens/broths often. Once you get into the habbit, you won't turn back. It's nice to do a little prep work early and then it's ready at dinner time!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 09-07-2005, 07:14 PM

I'd love to hear some breakfast ideas! I've read recipes on the net but I prefer to hear the tried 'n true!

Czen
Old 09-07-2005, 08:51 PM

Mostly I do grains for breakfast, though there are some casserole recipes that can easily be googled. I soak my grains (usually millet) during the day and then let it cook on low at night. It's naturally creamy in the morning!

There's also a granola crockpot recipe somewhere that's super easy, but I've lost it b/c I try to soak my grains and couldn't figure out how to do this with the recipe.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use mine a lot for beans (in place of canned beans) . I also do a lot of soups and soup stocks. stews, etc . . . .I don't do a lot of one pot meals but it does come in handy for roasting a chicken while keeping my overn open for more important things (like hommade bread to go with said soup). We probably use it once a week in the winter and once a month in the summer (we eat mostly cold food in the summer) . ihave a round rival 4 quart cooker with w removable ceramic crock. I love it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 PM

How could I forget beans? I do big batches of beans to freeze. I got a sun oven recently, so that replaced my crockpot for the summer. It did beans great, too.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr
What to look for when buying a crockpot...VERY IMPORTANT
Buy a kind that lets you take out the inner canister for washing, some have the canister built right in and it is a pain in the butt to wash, especially if it needs to soak.
I dislike the slow cookers with removeable crocks. I think the outside gets much hotter than an all-in-one crock pot and I don't trust those when I'm not home all day to watch it. I do agree scrubbing an all-in-one can be more of a chore. Especially if you're like me and don't wash it right away!

On average, I use mine more than once a week.

Roast beef for French Dip sandwiches
Veggie beef soup with barley (uses au jus and leftover French dip beef)
Chicken tortilla soup (from cans! Terrible! I know! I love it!)
Chili
Pork roast
BBQ pork from leftover pork roast
whole chicken
chicken breasts in cream or soup sauce
meatballs in italian sauce (for lightning fast spaghetti after work)
cocktail meatballs (for sticking my face in anytime)

If you entertain you can use your slow cooker for:
keeping beans or baked/mashed potatoes warm
cheese dip for parties/food days at work

I have made oatmeal in mine. I also like to freeze leftover soup and put the frozen soup in the crock on low to reheat.

If I had an oblong cooker, I would try more crock pot casserole recipes, like lasagna, for instance. In fact, that might go on my Xmas list for my mom this year.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 AM

Anyone have any great recipes they have come up with...in the whole foods type of way.... I am intimidated also...I hear you all say oh great beans , but what do you serve with the beans kwim???
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Well, I do mostly whole foods and I just modify a lot of oven recipes for the crock. I got some great chicken recipes from a member here who runs:
http://www.just-tell-me-what-to-cook.com
Instead of the oven, I just put them in the crock on low with the same sauce.
With beans, I do a tortilla casserole, which is layering torts, cheese, and salsa and then pouring enchie sauce over everything. I live in the SW, so I have access to TONS of quality salsa and sauces. Might be harder elsewhere. It's not that hard to make either, though.
Also with beans: chilis, including white chicken chili.

I know I'm not getting that specific, but if you have a favorite recipe, try it in the crock!

User Tag List