Food Processor Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2002, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a Kitchen Aid Food Processor for my birthday. It's awesome and I have no idea what to do with it! Any ideas or websites? Thanks!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Banned

Food processors are absolutely fabulous for taking all the pain out of the production of pie crust dough. For one crust, put about 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour and 3/4 cup pastry flour (I use wheat) in food processor bowl. Add a pinch of salt and, if making for a dessert, a tablespoon of sugar (if desired). Blend for a second to mix. Cut one stick of cold or frozen butter into 10 or more pieces and blend in pulses until the mixture resembles fine cornmeal. Add the yolk of one egg and blend until the mixture balls up (or until you can manually ball it up yourself - it may or may not ball up depending on humidity, etc.). You may need to scrape the sides down once when blending the egg. If it doesn't look like it's going to ball up, add a tablespoon of cold water. Turn the dough out onto a square of wax paper, form into a disc, and refrigerate 20-30 minutes. When it's chilled a bit, take it out of the fridge, open up the wax paper and flatten it out, and then add another piece of wax paper on top and roll the dough out. The wax paper should keep the dough from sticking, and it eases transfer to the pie tin. Just carefully remove the bottom side of the wax paper first (it's usually more crinkled than the top sheet), and then transfer to the tin and carefully peel the other sheet of wax paper off before molding the dough to the tin. It's a piece of cake, so to speak, and the results are so much more yummy than store-bought crusts!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:12 PM

I only use mine to make our raw nut cookies (the only cookies she is allowed to eat). I put a handful of dates and shreaded coconut in the food processeor and process till its broken down a bit. Then I add a handful of almonds and walnuts and process till its a nice chuncky consistancy. Then I add a spice or 2, usually cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and some vanilla, process a bit more but not too much we like it chunky. Form into cookies and put in the fridge. Eat!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Pom

I use ours constantly -- for dicing a quick onion for a recipe, or carrots, etc. to pureeing batches of veggies to freeze in ice cube trays for dd (although she doesn't use the cubes much now, I still make broccoli /kale/ asparagus ones to sneak into her foods), shred chocolate, mochi, etc.

Enjoy it!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:11 PM

I have a big cuisinart, so I only use it when I have a lot of chopping to do, often when I am canning or freezing produce during the summer.

I use it for pesto in the summer with fresh herbs

pureeing garden fresh tomatoes to cook down into tomato paste

shredding cabbage and grating carrots- which I either use immediately for egg rolls or freeze and use later for egg rolls or cabbage risotto.

It's good to make pasta and pizza dough in, but I'm too much of a flaky pie crust purist to use it for that.

It's good for making soups that have to be pureed.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm definately going to try some of the things!!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 12-17-2002, 05:21 PM

Cathe Olson's book "Simply Natural Baby Foods" has foods for the whole family and uses the food processor quite a bit. The book is inexpensive and available on Amazon, B&N, and at her website, http://www.simplynaturalbooks.com/

One delicious easy treat in there was: (my words, not hers. She says it better) Chop a bunch of nuts in the processor, transfer to plate. Rinse processor bowl, put some cream cheese, raisins and a drop of vanilla in the processor and pulse it several times. Then scoop a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture onto the nut plate, and roll it around to cover it with nuts. The kids like to do this part.
You're done. These delicious little "snowballs" are great. It's also good made with rice milk "cream cheese" for those who don't do dairy. Or add a simple sweetener (maple syrup, or something) and use cranberries instead of raisins. Play with it, it's always good!

User Tag List