When are oranges okay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-17-2002, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 13-month-old looks longingly at oranges and clementines that we love to eat this time of year. I know citrus juices and fruits are a no-no for infants -- when is it okay to introduce them? Can we give him sections of clementine before he's ready to handle a glass of o.j.?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-17-2002, 01:48 PM

I think that most books say around a year, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Clementines taste like they're less acidic, so that's probably a great way to start. I'd make sure that his gag reflex isn't very sensitive, though. If it is, strained juice might be better since all of those sack things tend to get stuck to the tongue.
#3 of 10 Old 12-17-2002, 07:03 PM

My DD was "allergic" to citrus for a long time. She's 2.25 years now and she seems to do OK. We let her have some when she was around 9 mos. and she loves them, but we noticed she was red around her vulva and we blamed the citrus.

I do take the view of introducing citrus when in season, and since citrus doesn't grow in NYC in December, I wouldn't give DD her first taste now. Now that she is a little older though, I give her whatever we eat, sometimes fruits out of season, as a treat. I prefer not to give her too much juice and when introducing DD to foods I found that foods that required the least amount of work: mashing an avacado, potato, sweet potatoes tended to be her favorites, anyway. The pureed veggies that I sweated over (along with peas that irritated her) did not go over too well, anyhow.
#4 of 10 Old 12-18-2002, 04:51 PM

My dd is almost 13 months. I will hold a slice of orange and let her suck the juice out. She hasn't had any reaction to it.
#5 of 10 Old 12-18-2002, 05:38 PM

Juice is fine as long as you juice your own. That crap in a carton in the store is just that, crap. It doesn't even resemble freshly squeezed juice. I only give my DD juice when she asks for it, either we juice grapes, oranges or grapefruit, whatever she wants. If its a fresh fruit or vegetable and baby wants to eat it, let baby eat it! Its so much better then that stuff in a jar, and its fresh and alive with enzymes.
#6 of 10 Old 12-18-2002, 06:09 PM

AmandasMom,

Do you own a juicer or do you squeeze your own? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of buying a juicer. Not sure which one though.

T I see you're in Nashville. I live about 1 1/2 hours from there! Small world

My apoligies to the OP for the hijack.

Nova
#7 of 10 Old 12-18-2002, 08:29 PM

I have an el-cheapo juicer from Kmart. I also have a $2 juicer where you put half the orange on the cone and squeeze. That obviously doesn't work for grapes Sometimes she just wants a little juice so it works fine for that. I'm in Old Hickory
#8 of 10 Old 12-19-2002, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Now I've started sharing clementines with ds, and he loves them -- even says 'orange' (or something like it). I actually peel the membrane off, which takes time, but since he is mesmerized by the whole procedure, it just extends the pleasure. Thanks for the words of encouragement -- this is a real treat for both of us!
I, too, like eating fruits in season but just can't give up a few oranges at Christmastime (childhood tradition of my own)!
#9 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 02:33 AM

Am I reading correctly in that you think that oranges are NOT in season around Christmas? Oh....how I miss the orange trees in our back yard in Florida!! That was a wonderful Christmas morning staple, fresh off of the tree! I live in Vermont now and beg for the relatives to mail them up to us. We've even been known to pack extra, empty suitcases and load them up with tree-ripened fruit when we visit for Christmas! The porters aren't too thrilled with having to lift those babies

Now, of course, it depends on which KIND you like as to when each one comes into season. Valencia (juicy and sweet) are available in December, the Honey bells are later on (end of January?). My mom is sending up a box this week and another in February...YAY!

The stuff in the stores here is just sad--the way apples in the stores in Florida are!
#10 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 02:45 PM

I used to be a lot more particular when DD was little but now that she insists on having what we are. . .let's just say my standards have relaxed a little.

The thought of Christmas oranges, clementines, etc. is a tradition because they are in some parts of the country unavailable at that time of year and because 100 years ago we didn't have huge supermarkets, etc. where we could buy oranges, bananas, etc. whenever we felt like it. Christmas oranges was, and to some of us still are, a treat!

Remember the Little House on the Prarie books? They ate corn mush all year long and longed for spring and summer produce and berries. We are privileged to have fresh foods all year long but many are not seasonal. I can guarantee you that there are not a whole lot of orange trees in NYC right now! :

I'm not suggesting we go on deprivation diets and did I mention I'm not so strict myself? When my DD was itty bitty little I gave her just what fruits were "seasonably" available, with what limited knowledge I had of such matters. I don't sweat it, now.

I have to add that there are some who believe that since juicing eliminates much of the fiber, etc. that juice is not a "whole" food and should be limited. How many of us moms water down the juice to limit the sugar? A lot. Good sugars are still sugars and hard to cut - a self-admitted sugar addict here - it's not easy.

All that being said - let's get back to enjoying foods. By all means enjoy Christmas oranges! Sure beats Christmas chocolate in the health dept.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page