How Do You Know If Your Tofu Is Bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My tofu has expired by about a month and a half.
HOWEVER, it spent most of it's time in the freezer.
The water wasn't cloudy- it wasn't slimey- it does have a slight smell but i cant tell if it is a fermented-soy- in-a-good-way smell or a bad way smell.
Do we eat it anyway or just have brown rice (or maybe a pizza) for dinner?
#2 of 4 Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 AM

I'm probably too late with a reply but all I can say when tofu is rank it smells like it. I can't describe the smell but it's bad. A slight sour smell is fine. But my word on food is when in doubt throw it out.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 4 Old 09-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You've eaten dinner by now, but . . .

If it's been in the freezer it can be over the date and be fine. (Sometimes even if not in the freezer.) The first sign is puffiness of the pkg. If it has that, don't even open it before you throw it out! But yours doesn't or it would have a horrific smell when you opened it, which it didn't.

Next, open the pkg. and rinse the tofu 2 or 3 times in cold water, squeezing out the water in between times. This is important, sometimes the water smells bad but when you rinse it away, the tofu is fine. After rinsing, smell. Sometimes there is a faint sort of beany smell, not bad. If I smell that, I use it but make sure to cook it well. have never had any adverse effect from that. If it's bad, it smells awful, like sour milk or some other kind of rotten smell. Or, you will see discoloration, sometimes a pink or red color. That's bad.

If you're not totally confident, take a little taste. If it's bad, you will definitely know.

Happy tofu eating!
#4 of 4 Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM

I really hate when tofu goes bad :LOL It says to use it within 5 days of opening (I use it in smoothies) but sometimes I don't want to eat it 5 days in a row.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page