Bread of Life - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-25-2002, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a bread machine and I'm trying to figure out how I can use it to make really yummy whole grain breads. Anyone have recipes or experience they'd like to share? The manuals and book all have pretty tame wheat bread suggestions. I'm sure there's a way to make real bread with it, but I'm not sure how to modify recipesto get what I want. Please help!

Ackermama
#2 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 12:11 PM

Ooooh, congratulations! You will *love* making fresh breads with it!

If you want to get serious (which it sounds like you do), you might consider baking Ezekiel bread, also called Essene bread. The recipe is taken from a passage in Ezekiel that describes a specific combination of grains, and even a style of preparation (if you want to take it that far). Supposedly, Ezekiel survived for two weeks in the desert with only this nutritionally complete bread.

There are lots of versions of this wonderful recipe that have been adapted for a bread machine.

Here is one from Our Daily Bread

Happy baking!

Jean

Ezekiel Bread

http://breaddaily.tripod.com/bmezekiel.htm

Edited to avoid any copywrite issues ~ jbcjmom

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#3 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 05:50 PM

I got a bread maker for Christmas, from dh and the kids. I was wondering the same thing about really healthy bread recipes. The Ezekiel bread sounds good. Please keep them coming!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#4 of 7 Old 12-26-2002, 11:52 PM

My dh received a bread machine for christmas too! This is the first recipe we are going to try (tonight of course). I'll let you know how it turns out .

Whole Wheat Bread Vegan
(1 1/2 lb. loaf)

Serving Size: 12

Ingredients
3½CupsWhole Wheat Flour
¼CupVital Wheat Gluten
1TblsSugar
¾TspSea Salt
1¼CupsWater
½CupApplesauce
2TspActive Dry Yeast

Directions:
Mix the flours together (the reason is that vital wheat gluten hardens into lumps if not mixed with the other flour). Place the ingredients in your automatic bread maker and bake according to the manufacturer's directions.

Tips:
1. Bread machines differ; therefore you may need to adjust the amount of liquid for good results. If your bread rises too high use a tablespoon or two less water. If does not rise enough, try adding a little more water.

2. Make mixes of the dry ingredients. Place in plastic bags with a note of the wet ingredients you need to add. Keep in your freezer until ready to use. Also freeze applesauce in ½ cup Rubbermaid containers. These can be quickly defrosted in a microwave oven for easy use.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#5 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 09:30 PM

The bread came out well, but it need something. Maybe some honey or molasses. I'll let you know if we modify this recipe or fine another one we like.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#6 of 7 Old 12-27-2002, 10:39 PM

I've always wanted a bread machine! For those of you who have one, do you use it often and find them worth it? Are they easy and quick to use? Do the breads taste homemade?
Thanks for your help!
#7 of 7 Old 12-31-2002, 11:00 PM

I don't know yet.

I've just received an automatic breadmaker/oven with broiler and toaster capabilities for our anniversary.

Kinda like a toaster oven that bakes bread and broils stuff.

It also roasts.

And it's compact.

About the size of a slightly larger than small microwave.

I'll get back to ya on the Original Poster's Q.....and some of the other's in between....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page