Best cookbooks for Asian cuisine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-25-2002, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in a *major* food rut here and so I thought to try some Asian cuisine (perhaps Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese). Can anyone recommed some favorite cookbooks? Also, any personal preferences on brands of tofu?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 12-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Banned

The Great Curries of India by Camillia Paniabi (I think) is fantastic for Indian food - I have a number of Indian cookbooks, and this one is far and away the best. All the recipes have been fantastic. For Thai, I like The Essential Thai Cookbook, by Vatcharin Bhumichitr. Excellent recipes, grouped by basic ingredients and flavors.
#3 of 6 Old 12-27-2002, 10:53 PM

I've been looking also but haven't found any simple ones for everyday cooking. I'd love some suggestions also! We have been experimenting here though and have been making delicous thai curries that are really simple. There is a basic recipe on the can of Thai kitchen Coconut milk that we have elaborated on by adding more veggies. We use either tofu or shrimp also with lots of fresh ginger. It is so quick and simple and realy delicous. I served it to friends and they all loved it!
#4 of 6 Old 12-27-2002, 11:20 PM

I just got a book called Real Thai, and I love it!!!

It is written by an american food writer (Nancy McDermott) who lived in Thailand for three years.

It is simply written, and it's available in paperback, so it's not as expensive as a lot of cookbooks...

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#5 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 12:00 PM

I cook a lot of Chinese food. My favorite Chinese cookbook is Martin Yan's Feast. I'm not a big fan of his cooking show, but the recipes are straightforward and everything I've tried has been great.
#6 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 11:32 PM

Nina Simonds (she lives here in MA) writes the bests cookbooks on chinese cooking , in my opinion. The food comes out great-- and is not overcomplicated. A Spoonful of Ginger is a great book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page