tea your kids like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we aren't really big tea drinkers at my house. but i just set down a nice late evening snack for my 2 boys (ages 3 and 6) and i wanted to offer them a warm drink. but all i have in the house is chamomile tea, which neither of them really enjoy.

i would like to buy some tea's that they are more likely to enjoy. what kinds of tea do your kids drink? i was thinking of something sweet.

thanks
#2 of 43 Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 PM

My son is fond of Bengal Spice by Celestial Seasonings. I usually add milk or soy milk and a bit of of honey to make it like chai (it's tea-free, just herbs & spices so no caffeine).

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
#3 of 43 Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 PM

my kids are both nutty, they like the sleepy time tea, they also do pretty good with the gypsy cold care when i push that on them too in the winter. However I can't get myself a glass hot or cold of pregnancy tea lately without being completely attacked. Oh and they will both drink peppermint tea when we have tummy problems. sometimes they come back after i made it and want honey added sometimes not so i always give it without and if they want a little added i do if not fine.
#4 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Ds1 loves the Black Cherry Berry tea by Celestial Seasonings. I add just a little bit of honey.
#5 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM

My DD will drink just about any tea I put in front of her, but she really enjoys rooibos. It's herbal so no caffeine, it has no tannins, and has a light naturally sweet taste. It comes in various flavors, but DD likes hunny rooibos the best (why hunny is spelled that way rather than honey I don't know). Rooibos also has lots of good antioxidants. Rooibos is only grown in South Africa so serving it would be a natural entry point to a little geography/social studies discussion.

Can you tell I'm a tea geek?

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#6 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 AM

My boys love hot apple juice with cinnamon and hot milk with honey and cinnamon as well. Tea-wise, they drink ordinary black when they can get it, rooibois (especially with vanilla- we got some cocoa rooibois from a health fair last weekend that was yummy) but seem to find that the fruit and herbal ones don't go down so well- except for peppermint, but only when they're ill.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 01:20 AM

Rooibos or chamomile with a bit of xylitol (we're very careful with sweeteners because DD1 has a bit of of demineralization). Iced mint tea.
#8 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 03:07 AM

Anything fruity.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We drink mint teas mostly, but we also like orange tea and regular iced tea. We use honey or sugar to sweeten.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#10 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 03:45 AM

Lemon Iced tea with honey/sugar
#11 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
anything fruity and green tea with no additives. though she loves black tea with milk and sugar whenever she can manage a sip out of my ocassional cup.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 AM

I'm sure you are talking herbal teas, but my kids like regular old orange pekoe black tea!! Yes, I know it has caffeine, but not a lot, especially the amount they consume.

Hey, I'm Irish, of course we drink tea!!!
ian'smommaya likes this.
#13 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 AM

My dd likes what ever tea is in my cup. :LOL So far that's usually chai w/ soymilk.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#14 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 12:20 PM

My daughter, who is not so small now but this still holds true, love blackberry herbal teas and darjeeling. I know this is both ends of the spectrum but that has always been a good description for my fairie
#15 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM

This is slightly OT, but I thought it would be a good place to ask...

anyone have a favorite decaf chai? I love chai but we are ttc and I am trying to completely cut out caffeine like I did w/ dd #1 (I havea history of miscarriages - just trying to do whatever I can to be safe

thanks!

kate
#16 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama
anyone have a favorite decaf chai?
Chai rooibos is pretty yummy. It's no-caff to begin with, so no de-caff processing is required.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#17 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Red Safari Spice (rooibos tea by Celestial Seasoning), decaf chai ( Celestial Seasonings brand is really good), herbal peach, Sugar Plum Spice (CS also), Peppermint, Chamomile, any kind of herbal berry tea.

I am going to have to get the Rooibos Chai!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#18 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

i have gotten lots of ideas from this thread!!!

thanks everyone!
#19 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 09:09 PM

we uusually drink a mix, oatstraw, chamomile, mint, lemonbalm, catnip-my kids new fave is pomegranate roisbois (sorry i cannot spell) i can't remember the brand name though. the republic of tea (brand) used to have a children's tea that my son loved but i haven't been able to find that in years. it had hibiscus and a mix that i can't remember. none of these need sweeteners either-the pom/rbs is fine just plain.
#20 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 PM

Right now DD is drinking Kids Cuppa from Republic of Tea. She also loves mint tea, blueberry, ginseng-peppermint, chamomile, sleepytime, ok, really any tea i'll drink lol
#21 of 43 Old 10-07-2005, 09:31 PM

My girls drink black, green, or rooibos teas. All with a little milk and sometimes honey.

We like the rooibos in flavors of which there are many

We drink lot of tea in our house, all bulk as I dont care for tea in bags as it often has a dusty taste.

My girls each have useable tea sets along with cups and saucers. They love picking out what they will drink their morning tea out of :LOL
#22 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 AM

www.republicoftea.com yum! kids cuppa & panda berry
#23 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 01:33 PM

As I drink my rooibos now...my kid loves the rooibos chai with honey and milk (organic). This is the wonder tea, its great when she's sick - full of good anti-oxidants and it also helps insomnia and relaxes you. It's been drunk for millenia. If anyone here reads the Precious Ramotswe mysteries this is the bush tree that she's always making.

cheers
#24 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 01:35 PM

Earth Mama Angel Baby makes a Peaceful Mama tea and a Calm Baby tea, both of which my kids like.
Also, Michelle at greentaramama.com makes custom blends- she had the yummiest summer tea, and we all enjoyed it!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#25 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 02:33 PM

OMG Thank you to the poster that posted the R of Tea website-I will now be able to get some-my son will be So Happy LOL
#26 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama
This is slightly OT, but I thought it would be a good place to ask...

anyone have a favorite decaf chai? I love chai but we are ttc and I am trying to completely cut out caffeine like I did w/ dd #1 (I havea history of miscarriages - just trying to do whatever I can to be safe

thanks!

kate

yogi tea redbush chai
#27 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 02:45 PM

my DD loves sweet dreams from celestial seasonings. i like it too. she also likes mint, sleepytime and cinnamon spice.
#28 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Most mornings I take two wide-mouth quart jars and put about 4 or 5 Tbs. of herbs in each, then boil a big kettle of water and let it all steep for a bit then strain the teas into another quart jar. We drink tea instead of water much of the time. We usually end up drinking it at room temperature but if you wanted it warm you could just heat it up later. I prefer the taste of bulk herbs also, like a pp said, but it sometimes seems like a bit of a hassle to make just one cup with bulk herbs so this system works for me.

My main herbs are raspberry, nettle, oat straw, mint, alfalfa, lemon balm ... hmm, what else. BTW, ds loves all of it .. he likes it better than water. Hibiscus has a nice sweet and fruity taste ... lemon grass, licorice is sweet and very yummy.
#29 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 03:36 PM

So whats oat straw taste like

For some reason I cant imagine straw tasteing good but it must add a nice flavor or something :LOL or people wouldnt be drinking it.
#30 of 43 Old 10-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
So whats oat straw taste like

For some reason I cant imagine straw tasteing good but it must add a nice flavor or something :LOL or people wouldnt be drinking it.
Honestly? I don't think it tastes like much at all .. lol .. in any case it's very mild, slightly sweet, kind of earthy flavor. It doesn't taste like what you'd think straw would taste like. I always mix it with other things with stronger flavors, it's just such a good nervine .. very relaxing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page