What's for dinner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-27-2002, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I read an old thread and I loved hearing what people have for dinner on "ordinary nights". I am looking for new ideas!
Went to whole foods today and got lots of fresh veggies. Tonight we are having soba noodles in a miso broth with lots of veggies: broccoli, watercress, peppers, 2 kinds of mushrooms, zucchini, basil, carrots.
#2 of 23 Old 12-27-2002, 05:00 PM

Mushrooms burgundy over egg noodles, steamed veggies, and pesto/garlic bread. Probably a fruit smoothie for dessert.

I really want to make a vegetable/cheese quiche, but I don't have the veggies that I like best in quiche.
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#3 of 23 Old 12-27-2002, 09:26 PM

Sarah...could you post the recipe for mushroom burgundy, please?

or you could PM me, if you would like.

i eat entirely too much meat, and would love a "hardy" meal like mushroom burgundy to feed my carnivore loving husband.

Thanks!

P.S. i am making a cubed pork dish that includes hashbrowns and velveeta....can you understand why i want that recipe?
#4 of 23 Old 12-27-2002, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

MMM, mushroom burgandy sounds great! I would love the recipe also. We are in a bit of a food rut here and that would be a nice change!
Thanks!
#5 of 23 Old 12-29-2002, 07:59 PM

I'm not sure what we're eating tonight, but tomorrow, we're having burritoes. Wrap whole wheat or homemade tortillas aroung a filling of bulgur, and lentils (precooked and seasoned with lots of garlic, onion, cayenne, and parsley, dash salt and pepper), and enough cheese to stick it all together. Bake at 350 until everything is heated through. Top with guacamole and salsa. MMMMM! One of our favorite meals.
#6 of 23 Old 12-29-2002, 11:45 PM

gardenmommy, that sounds delicious!
thanks for writing how to actually make the dish, as some of us are hopeless (me!!) without a recipe/directions!

carminex, i am going to try the miso soup with veggies you so kindly PM'd me!

I am waiting for alsosarah to give me/us her wonderful sounding mushroom burgindy recipe!! yummmmm

i am now lurking in this forum often, as i am suffering terribly with my gallbladder, and dh has had a cold for what seems like the last 20 yrs. i finally am at the point where "enough is enough" and we have to do something, but at the "cellular level"...healing from the inside out, through good food. i am considered a "good cook", but i need to do something else. i am going to the healthfood store tomorrow, with my new recipes and a long list.

My thanks to all of you who post in this forum.

#7 of 23 Old 01-01-2003, 12:06 AM

I am so sorry to find that you've been waiting for that recipe

15 month-old ds came down with stomach flu (which I contracted ASAP, of course) before I could even start those mushrooms... he is on the mend now, and I promise to post the mushrooms burgundy recipe just as soon as I can bear the thought of food.

On the plus side, I'm feeling all proud and fuzzy that you guys want my recipe!

alsoSarah

These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#8 of 23 Old 01-14-2003, 02:55 AM

Sorry this took so long-- Wednesday is going to be my last day of net access for quite a while, and I was determined to post it before we moved! Whew!
Enjoy!
Mushrooms Burgundy

In olive oil or butter, combine and "sweat" over low heat until the onion starts to become translucent:
1 small onion, roughly chopped
3 T. minced fresh garlic
3 bay leaves
2-3 t. dried thyme
1 pinch nutmeg

Add 24 oz. mushrooms, thickly sliced (cremini and/or white button mushrooms). Increase heat to medium-high and sauté until the mushrooms darken and give off juice.
Add:
1 cup burgundy wine
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 ketchup
2-3 T. soup base ("Better than Boullion" brand is good--I use beef, but the mushroom flavor would also work)
Simmer until liquid is reduced and glossy. Taste for levels of soup base, pepper, and thyme. It should be fairly strong in flavor, and fairly salty, since the sour cream will tone the flavor way down. Reduce heat.

Stir in 1/2 sour cream (I wouldn't recommend fat-free sour cream in this at all). Do not overheat once sour cream is in, or the sauce may "break". Serve over wide egg noodles.

(If you have leftovers, you'll want to store the noodles and sauce separately, or the noodles will absorb all of the sauce.)

#9 of 23 Old 01-14-2003, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

MMM! Thanks so much!
#10 of 23 Old 01-14-2003, 03:26 PM

Sarah....Thanks for posting the mushroom recipe. i have been waiting for it patiently! it sounds delicious.

i am sad that you will not have internet access.

We'll miss you!
#11 of 23 Old 01-15-2003, 06:47 PM

Tonight, we're having spaghetti and garlic bread (original, I know, but it's quick and easy, and my family loves it!). Tomorrow we're having black bean and cheese quesadillas. Also on the menu are tomato florentine soup with hot crusty rolls and red beans and brown rice with cornbread. We tend to stick with quick and simple ideas!
#12 of 23 Old 01-15-2003, 07:44 PM

we are also having spaghetti and garlic bread. we have it every wednesday!

tomorrow i am making miso soup with fresh veggies and soba noodles, a recipe that carminex pm'd me. i love it, and the kids and dh love it too.

I might make some banana bread for breakfast.
#13 of 23 Old 01-15-2003, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Sweetbaby, I am SO happy you are making the miso soup!!
Spaghetti and garlic bread sounds good! We haven't had that in awhile!
Tonight I made corn muffins and sweet potatoe soup. Both were new Weight Watchers recipes and were pretty good.
#14 of 23 Old 01-16-2003, 01:28 PM

alsoSarah, I also have a Septemer-born Julien (2000). I love the name, which I guess goes without saying since we chose it above all else.

One of my favorite things to make is a baked potato-chard-cheese dish (from a Vegetarian French cookbook.) It is basically a layer of thinly sliced potatoes (in a buttered, and garlic-rubbed dish), then butter, salt and pepper, a layer of chard leaves, then cheese (the book suggested gruyere but I almost always use sharp cheddar) and those layers repeated three times ending in cheese. Then it says pour in heavy cream. But I usually only have half and half or just milk, and that always works out fine. Cover with tin foil and bake...I forget, but maybe 375 or 400 for 45 min? You have to squash the whole thing down pretty well with all the fresh chard piling up, and it settles a lot with cooking.

I've also been cooking lentils a lot lately and just throwing in whatever I've got: chard, broccoli, carrots, potatoes etc. Flavoring it with soy sauce (or Bragg's.) Then over rice. (But I'm pregnant with a picky palatte now so can't venture to far in the realm of spices, onion, garlic and such.)
#15 of 23 Old 01-18-2003, 03:55 AM

i made the mushroom burgundy! it's delicious! (i doubled the sauce, used portabello mushrooms too, added pepper & marjoram, & for boullion, since all i had was some thai lemon-grass flavored stuff, I used a pkt of ramen flavor & half a pk of onion soup mix i had leftover (mmm! gourmet, lol). but it worked out very well. thanks!

suse

oh yeah, i just threw it in a crock pot overnight; didn't even saute my onions (bad susan!). it worked.
#16 of 23 Old 01-18-2003, 10:18 PM

We're going to a potluck and taking a broccoli peanut pasta dish- from Moosewood. Any peanut sauce mixed with half WW and half white pasta (same water, start WW first, add white after 2 min or so) would work. Bok choy, broccoli, chinese peas all taste great. We always mix our pastas when doing spag.
#17 of 23 Old 01-18-2003, 10:53 PM

+

Yesterday I made a hearty veggie stew--potatoes, carrots, celery, onions sauteed in olive oil, peas, barley, brown rice, water, a can of Italian-seasoned stewed tomatoes, and some salt! Hearty, simple, and tasty. I made a whole bunch so we could have leftovers tonight. It makes really good leftovers. (As it turned out, I had some yummy leftover stew tonight, but dh wasn't in the mood for stew and made an egg sandwich instead, lol.)

icxcnika
#18 of 23 Old 01-19-2003, 12:14 AM

Icxcnika...
I am new to vegetarian recipes, so could you please post how to make your veggie stew...how much rice, barley, etc?

or, you can PM me.

Thanks!

#19 of 23 Old 01-19-2003, 10:41 AM

Last night's dinner. Homemade pizza (DH's dough from scratch) topped w/ tomato, cheese & pineapple & proschiutto & red bell peppers. A salad of mixed greens w/ toasted pecans & crumbled blue cheese & my homemade ,maple balsamic dressing.

Tonite will be peanut tofu triangles- roasted - with basmatti rice and stir fried veggies- whatever's at hand; peppers, onion, green beans........

Next night will be chicken breasts pounded thin w/ lemon juice & capers sauteed & served w/ pasta & veggie-- kale maybe w/ garlic & olive oil & lemon...............
I love dinners at home! We both like to cook & it's so much more fun than going out & spending $$
#20 of 23 Old 01-22-2003, 12:06 AM

+

Hi, Sweetbaby3,
I would love to share my recipe. Thank you so much for asking!

The amounts here aren't exact, which is cool since this is a very forgiving recipe. You can alter the size or proportions of the ingredients to your liking. With the measurements here, though, there should be at least seven servings; they make good leftovers too.

Icxcnika's Yummy Veggie Stew:

about 4 medium-sized potatoes
one medium onion, diced and sauteed until just starting to get brown, in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 or 5 carrots, cut into disks (or one small bag frozen disk-sliced carrots)
4 celery stalks, diced small
about 3 cups of peas (or 1/2 small bag frozen peas)
1 medium can stewed tomatoes (plain, or Italian-seasoned)
1/2 cup rinsed barley
1/2 cup rinsed brown rice
salt,pepper, etc. to taste

Peel and dice potatoes (maybe 3/4 inch or so??), slice carrots and celery, rinse barley and brown rice. Stick them all in a huge pot with enough water to cover. Turn heat on high. Saute onions. Once pot is boiling, stir and add peas. Add onions, oil and all, into pot. Add can of tomatoes, juice and all. Add more water to pot as needed. (I usually leave the lid off.) Turn heat down to medium, keep stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, or other herbs and seasonings to taste (if you add the seasoned tomatoes, you won't need to add as many herbs/spices). You can even add maybe 3 diced garlic cloves if you want, or zucchini slices. Continue to cook until potatoes are soft and tender and barley and rice are nice and cooked (maybe 45 min.? I never time it, lol). Turn down to simmer if the heat is too high. You can simmer it for a while to let the flavors blend. Yummy stew! I would serve this with bread and butter, or crackers. For leftovers: the next day, more of the water will have absorbed, and the stew will be thicker. You can eat it this way (I leave it in the pot and just heat it on the stove again for a family dinner, or scoop out a bowlful and heat it in the microwave for an individual serving), or stir in more water while heating if you want.

Hope this works well for you!

God bless you,
icxcnika
#21 of 23 Old 01-22-2003, 09:38 PM

Thanks, Icx! i printed the recipe, and will make it next week. i'll let you know how it turns out!

I have a bag of navy beans. i could make bean soup with a ham bone, but i would like to try something different. any ideas? what else could i do with them that would make it a filling main dish, with say a loaf of bread?
#22 of 23 Old 01-23-2003, 01:12 PM

I am going to grate sweet potato, white potato, zuchinni, and onion, add an egg slightly beaten, some spike, and just enough ww pastry flour to hold it together and cook in a skillet with just a bit of oil. I'm going to attempt to make some kind of sauce to go with it- maybe out of tamari, mirin, rice vinegar, and a bit of toasted sesame oil.
#23 of 23 Old 01-24-2003, 01:22 PM

Tonight I'm going to make bean/spinach burritoes, tomorrow we're having homemade pizza, and Sunday we'll have tomato and white bean soup (a vegetarian times recipe). I'll probably do a loaf of bread in the bread machine one day to have with soup on Sunday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page