Favorite Kids Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2002, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very picky 5 year old eater and need some suggestions on new recipes. I am looking for whole foods, low sugar, high fiber recipes that are quick. I also need high protein and good fats in them. Snack ideas are welcome, too.

My oldest refuses to "fix" the meals with me, but my 3 year old ds loves too. The problem here is that they love entirely different things... first ds is mostly veggie ( except for some fish ) and ds #2 loooooves meat! Even though I would prefer to be veggie. Ughhhh...

Anyway, I am worn out and they are tired of the same old things. I desperately need help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2002, 09:09 PM

My ds loves soups of all kinds, almost anything I put into a tortilla is a hit, and almost anything tastes better with ketchup on it!

Some things that we eat often include black bean, cheese, and tomato quesadillas with guacamole and salsa on the side for dipping;
scrambled eggs;
funny eggs (soft boiled eggs in egg cups with vertically sliced toast for dipping);
ELT sanwiches-egg, lettuce, tomato;
salads with beans, tomatos, croutons, sunflower- or flax seeds, red onions, and dressing;
pita sandwiches with hummus and tomatoes
waffles with maple syrup for dipping
muffins of various kinds
burritoes with guacamole and salsa for dipping

I can't think of anything else off hand, and need to nurse baby.
Good luck, Margaret
Old 01-07-2003, 06:55 AM

My kids love anything dipped in hummus.

Also:

peanut butter burritos (add jelly or banana with a little maple syrup, if desired)

Avocado Salad:
Combine equal parts avocado, black olive, sunflower seeds. Mix in a bit of flax oil.

They also all love fattoush salad (minus the "stinky goat cheese")--but I've yet to make a decent one. It always costs $5 at the cafe down the street! My 4-yr-old son will eat an entire adult-sized salad in one sitting!

And soup--they love lots of different soups.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I am so sorry that I have not come back to this thread in awhile. We have had a rough cold and flu month, along with headaches and my mind has been elsewhere. I apologize.

Thankyou for your replies ladies.

Gardenmommy, I cannot get my oldest to eat guacamole or hummus Or dip of any kind, really. So, it is difficult to get fats in him and he seperately needs them as they really help with his mood-- he is a very spirited child that is greatly affected by certain foods. Sadly, the only thing on your list that he will eat is bean soup and only once in awhile.

My youngest that is three loves most of those things! Although he likes to call waffles and pancakes, "trollcakes" It is funny how different children can be, isn't it?

Sleepymommy, pb&j wrapped in a burrito is one of my oldest child's faves! However, I am worried about wearing it out... I have a habit of doing that once I find something he likes.

Right now, big hit at our house are:

oatmeal
yogurt
almonds and raisins
cheese and whole wheat crackers
Annie's Mac $ Cheese ( they even like the whole wheat )
pb&j burritos
whole wheat toast and butter
strawberry milkshakes

If you have any other ideas I am all ears! Or if you have tips on kids with food allergies and sensitivities. As you can see, we are a little low on ideas that work consitently-- help!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:58 PM

i tried something from another thread for my picky 4 year old.

pretzels dipped in peanut butter & maple syrup. i cut up an apple and he dunked everything and ate it all.

this is from a child that only eats french toast and skittles
Old 01-07-2003, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your child likes PB&J, try substituting almond butter for the peanut butter. It is a really good fat and protein but contains lots of calcium and iron (which peanut butter doesn't).

Also, I see strawberry milkshakes on your list of likes so maybe smoothies will work. You can get a lot of fiber and make them with no sweeteners.

Start with milk (dairy or non-dairy) or pure juice, add fresh or frozen fruit, for fat and protein add almond or peanut butter or tahini, you can also add tofu for protein and calcium, I even put carrots and kale in our fruit smoothies and the kids can't tell.
Use frozen bananas to make them creamy like ice cream and sweet without sugar.

Also, check out my website www.simplynaturalbooks.com and click on recipes. I have a recipes for raisin bars made with whole grains and no sweeteners or eggs - and they're yummy!

Raisin Bars (no eggs or sweeteners)

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 01-08-2003, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Great idea, Sweetbaby3! Thankyou, I will try it!

Thankyou, Cathe! What great recipes and ideas-- I will definitely try the raisin bars and try adding the nut butter to the smoothies. Cross your fingers!

Great website, BTW! I loved it! Wish I had had that when mine were babes. Although, we did eat whole foods and lots of tofu. Now, they won't touch tofu. Can you believe it? Although, I am reminded by your tips section with the veggies, that I can always add veggies to meals without them even knowing. So, the same thing would apply with tofu.

I need to get out my vegan cookbook again. Tofu was in everything!

I miss it so much...

Any other ideas out there are much appreciated
Old 01-08-2003, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
One of my children went through a long stretch of time when I was concerned about her fat intake. She liked plain pasta (this would probably work with mac and cheese too) so I would drizzle a spoonful of flax or olive oil over it before serving it to her. They are also good on popcorn.

If one of your kids craves meat, don't worry about it. I have one who has always preferred a vegetarian diet and one who adores cooked flesh, as much as it grosses me out. My third is middle of the road. It turns out my little carnivore is allergic to soy, dairy, eggs and many legumes, so meat is a pretty important part of her diet. I found a source of local chemical-free beef and chicken so that is what I make. We are all made differently and I do not believe that there is one "perfect" diet suitable for all people. As long as you are feeding your child foods as close to their natural state as possible it will be okay. Some vegetarian foods are heavily processed, so you have to decide whether the vegetarian aspect or the whole foods aspect is more important to you sometimes.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Shantimama, great idea about the flax seed oil! My oldest has digestive troubles and we have been told to use mineral oil, but I use flax seed oil, instead. Putting this on his pasta is a perfect idea! He does eat the vegetable pasta.

As far as the carnivorous thing-- I totally agree with you! I believe that children especially, have an instinct about what their bodies need. Oftentimes this is guided by a food allergy. My sister and I were the same way growing up-- she was a meat eater and I preferred veggies. Turns out, she was allergic to many of the things that I ate!

So, as long as they are not wanting Twinkies or something (LOL), I am going to go by their basic wishes and just provide two different meals.

Just have to add, that my youngest will not touch peanut butter or bread, really. You have me wondering now... could be allergy. I always worry so much about my oldest eating habits because he eats so little, but now I am thinking tha my youngest must have a reason why he doesn't like certain foods.

Hmmmm... food for thought...
Sorry, couldn't resist the pun
Old 01-09-2003, 02:48 PM

I don't know if it helps...but a suggestion given to me for my finicky eater...Bananas with Honey Crunch Wheat Germ and Yogurt for dipping..... I also use granola too.... She loves this..it is her favorite snack...
TC,
Tara
Old 01-10-2003, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea tarablesue! He won't eat bananas, but I will try and give a new twist on apples!

Also, he ate guacamole yesterday! Yahoo!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:21 AM

I love this thread, thanks for starting it.

My 4 year old son likes "egg cups" - hard boiled eggs minus the yolk (he hates the "oak") in halves, like little cups, with a dollop of mayo or a squirt of mustard or ketchup inside.

He also likes plain yogurt with sliced banana, rice cake with butter, crackers dipped in kefir or cream cheese, peanut or almond butter balls (mix nut butter with dry cereal, coconut, can add milk powder, sweetener, whatever they like).
Old 01-13-2003, 03:28 AM

Smoothies...

I've found that I can pass off avocadoes or frozen green petite peas in my smoothies.

My son who hates beans loves hummus, but only if it's Trader Joes hummus =)
Heather

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

Old 01-13-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

SandBeachBums, fruit smoothies are always a great idea! I have not been brave enough to try avocado or peas, but I will give it a try!

BTW, I am also a mama to 2 boys and Border Collie!!! Ours is 18 months old and has really mellowed in the last couple of months! Yea!!! Best dog I have ever had, but boy, it was trying getting there. Anyway, just wanted to throw that in there. Glad to meet you!
Old 01-18-2003, 02:56 AM

Fruit smoothie popsicles - my 3 year old son loves to make fruit smoothies, but doesn't ever drink them. He will eat them frozen - I bought one of those plastic ones with 6 or 8 popsicle spots and built in sticks... I never tried peas in a fruit smoothie!

Hard boiled eggs - I have to take the yolks out, but he will eat 2 or 3 egg whites in one day

French toast - he will only eat about 1 slice, so I freeze them and just take out one at a time

Frozen blueberries

Apples and peanut butter (he refused sticky foods until recently)

Pasta with olive oil and parmesan cheese

Pasta with shredded cheddar cheese melted on top and stirred in - instant mac and cheese

He refuses to eat tomato sauce - this really limits family meal options. No sauce for him, no chili, no lasagna, even pizza with more than the tinist bit of sauce won't get eaten. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:10 AM

My children have a good diet, but they are not adventurous. I have read that children need to "see" a food eight times before they consider it "edible". Perhaps a suggestion is to put small dollops of different foods on the plate, even if they are not eaten, and eventually the children will try them. I have noticed that my children will sometimes eat a food and they will sometimes avoid it. I don't know why that is, but what I do is fix a good, healthy, meal, then let them choose. If they eat, they eat, if not, then they will be hungry later. The key is to make sure that everything is healthy, and that the junk foods are very few and far between. It makes my husband and I eat better, too!

Can you use fresh fruit as a dessert at your house? It is a great way of increasing the fruit and veg consumption, especially if it is a fruit that only one parent can prepare... I often have cracks in the skin of my fingers, so only dh can peel a grapefruit.

This is a recipe for very quick, dairy-rich, mac and cheese:

375 g package of whole wheat macaroni, cooked
one can evaporated milk
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese

Heat all the ingredients over a low heat until the sauce is thickened. Extras will keep for a few days in the refrigerator and can be microwaved easily.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Mmm...thanks for the mac & cheese recipe, bestjob! I have yet to find a good, yummy easy one. Can't wait to try it.

My guys really love what we call 'Sesame Noodles.' Combine cooked linguine with shredded veggies (we use purple cabbage,carrot & scallions) and toss with a sesame sauce: Sesame oil, Bragg's Liquid Aminos/Soy sauce, one T sugar and one t rice vinegar. You can also add a dash of chili oil. Mix up the sauce before pouring on pasta. Actually, we usually just toss the noodles with the Sesame oil & Bragg's and forget about the rest. There is lots of room for improvisation. It is really good with browned seasoned tofu or chicken mixed in. We serve it at room temperature.

User Tag List