What is it about Grape Nuts cereal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of years ago, I had some Grape Nuts (okay, so we made Crunchy Muchy Honey Cakes and didn't have the recipe ingredients and so I subbed, and then ate way too many of them)....and got totally sick. I mean, I was up all night with coming from both ends. It was disgusting! And for the longest time, I couldn't even think of Grape Nuts without feeling a little ill.

Last week, I bought the first box of Grape Nuts since. I ate a bowl this morning. And tonight, I feel totally like . Ugh. Crampy. Gassy (okay, farting like my dh does after beer and chili, but don't ladies say "I feel a little gassy" :LOL) Like I want to vomit.

It isn't like I don't eat fiber, which is what I thought it was the last time, just waaaayyyy tooooo much fiber....but I eat veggies and fruit constantly....I'm regular But for some reason, Grape Nuts make my body go s.

What is your trigger food? What makes you ill? Or if you have any insight into why GN to this to me, I'd really like to know. Cause I really love the CRUNCH factor.
#2 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Have you tried Harvest Crunch? That's got lots of crunch factor (go figure lol), and might be okay. I can't help you on the grape nuts, I've never eaten them.
#3 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 10:31 AM

Grape nuts taste how I imagine rabbit food would. Blech

Maybe it's the wrong kind of fiber...it's not the same as eating a bunch of carrot sticks and an apple, you know? High high fiber can definately make you gassy. (I'm not even sure how much fiber those bad boys have)

Then again, could be slightly allergic or sensitive to one of the bazillion other ingredients.

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#4 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 10:35 AM

Don't know. I love grape nuts. Never had a problem with them. I especially like them hot in the winter with brown sugar. Yummmm. Sorry I guess that's kind of OT... :LOL

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#5 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 AM

If they're not little chocolate/brown balls with tons of sugar on 'em, I ain't interested.

#6 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM

For me it's soy...anything soy. I fart like crazy and get terrible pressure in my tummy. It will make me misserable if I try to drink a soy protein drink or anything with soymilk.

DH explodes after anything with chili powder. Once, I made enchilada casserole, and we had to leave the house. :LOL I think he lost 5lbs after that dinner.
#7 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Then again, could be slightly allergic or sensitive to one of the bazillion other ingredients.

Kelly
Grape Nuts actually only have four ingredients ... I know it's still a processed food and they add vitamins but it's a lot better than most processed cereals. There's no sugar .. I have to admit that I really like Grape Nuts :LOL : I went about four months once where every single morning I had GN and soy milk. Now that I gave up sugar if I need a quick breakfast I eat them ... I agree about the rabbit food .. I still like 'em.
#8 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 AM

we call it the in and out

I swear, it's better than pepto, MOM or fletchers! It goes in and 30 minutes later, everything goes out.
#9 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM

LOVE Grape Nuts here...don't have that problem (only have that problem with Splenda....
#10 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 12:05 PM

Curry.
Oh, my tummy hurts just thinking about it
#11 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 PM

for me the list is very long.

eggs
avocados
anything with brewer's yeast in it (isn't there brewer's yeast in Grape Nuts?)

there are many other food items that I can eat a little bit, but too much causes me rather severe intestinal distress...
dairy
bread/wheat
sugar
certain fruits
nuts
#12 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
If they're not little chocolate/brown balls with tons of sugar on 'em, I ain't interested.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM

I Grapenuts!!! I love them mixed in w/ yogurt, I love to dip a banana in them, I love them warmed w/ milk and I LOVE Grapenut pudding... especially warm from the oven w/ a little vanilla ice-cream on top. Mmmmmm

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#14 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM

Mmmm... warm Grape Nuts...

Dh thinks Grape Nuts just looks like kidney stones. :LOL

As for what makes me sick... the very idea of pineapple on pizza is just bizarre to me.

I don't put coconut on my lasagna.
I don't put kiwi on my spaghetti.
Why would I want pineapple on my pizza??
#15 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Oh pineapple pizza... making me soooo hungry .... LOVE IT!!! Dh thinks it's the grossest thing in the world but it is soooo good IMO. We just got a Papa John's up the street... so good!!

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#16 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 PM

it's kefir for me, which made me sad since I was excited to try it for the probiotic benefit. the first time i tried it i had serious "tummy trouble" as my dad calls it :LOL

i heart hawaiian pizza!! pineapple on pizza is one of my favorites, but the pineapple needs to be cooked onto the pizza (not cold!).
#17 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAida
For me it's soy...anything soy. I fart like crazy and get terrible pressure in my tummy. It will make me misserable if I try to drink a soy protein drink or anything with soymilk.

DH explodes after anything with chili powder. Once, I made enchilada casserole, and we had to leave the house. :LOL I think he lost 5lbs after that dinner.
:
And I know about soy and gas !
#18 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Another soy avoider here (where's the gas smiley? :LOL). For me it depends on what form the soy is though. Soy oil I absolutely avoid, and soy lecithin doesn't bother me at all. Soy flour and soy milk are sort of in the middle. DD has behavioral problems with soy and for her the forms match up to what bothers me. I'm assuming when she's older it will morph into what I have.

Dairy isn't so great either.

I also seem to have a problem with garlic but that's been harder to pinpoint (ie: I've been too lazy to take the time and figure it out).

Pineapple pizza is sooooooooooooooo good
#19 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 03:15 PM

Beans Beans the magical fruit!!! They have been very magical for me lately. I used to just get gassy with them and I love them so much I just didn't care, but lately, WOW I get the worst stomach pains. Haven't been eating beans lately.

Rasin Bran has been catching up with me too....makes me very stinkey and now is having the same painful effect as the beans, so thats been scraped too.

Its been quite the bummer cause I love them both...but I don't have time to be laid up on the couch with a painful stomach just cause of food. :LOL
#20 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahverlinda
Grape Nuts actually only have four ingredients ... I know it's still a processed food and they add vitamins but it's a lot better than most processed cereals. There's no sugar .. I have to admit that I really like Grape Nuts :LOL : I went about four months once where every single morning I had GN and soy milk. Now that I gave up sugar if I need a quick breakfast I eat them ... I agree about the rabbit food .. I still like 'em.
I love Grape Nuts. I hate to break it to you, but they actually DO have sugar in them (although disguised). Per serving they have 5g of sugar, compared to Cheerios (plain) which has 1g/sugar per serving. The sugar hides in the "malted barley flour" . So I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to sugar, whether those 5grams count or not.

To the OP, could it be the barley flour that you are sensitive to? Or possibly one of the vitamins/minerals they add (the ingredient list is short but the things they "fortify" it with is long).
#21 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 03:56 PM

I Grape Nuts!

The magic Drano veggie for me is broccoli. Or spinach. And fried food has actually given me paralyzing stomach cramps. :
#22 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 03:57 PM

I love grape nuts too. I get homemade ones from an Amish bakery. Sooo yummmy I am glad they don't destroy my tummy, I know many people who are totally incapacitated after eating them.

The worst thing that does it for me is scallions. They don't do it all the time but when they do I feel like I am gonna die. After I had my first baby, the first night home with her, my mom made something with ramps in it (ramps are little wild onions) I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst gas pains ever. I was in a sleep deprived-I just had my first baby two days ago-haze and thought my uterus was rupturing. DP called the OB and woke him up. All so he could tell me to stick my butt in the air. Oh my That was pretty embarrasing the next morning but it's funny now LOL

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#23 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM

I love Grape Nuts! Unfortunately I'm afraid I'll knock out a filling eating those things.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#24 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 PM

The trick is, do not eat too much Grape Nuts :LOL

I can only take 1/4 cup of them with low fat milk, only. Sometimes soy milk.....with high fiber cereals definately eat them in moderation....eat about half of what you would eat in another type of cereal. They are powerful to the digestive tract
#25 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoline
I love Grape Nuts. I hate to break it to you, but they actually DO have sugar in them (although disguised). Per serving they have 5g of sugar, compared to Cheerios (plain) which has 1g/sugar per serving. The sugar hides in the "malted barley flour" . So I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to sugar, whether those 5grams count or not.
Oh I know they have that kind of sugar ... that's fine with me ... they just don't have any added sugarcane sugar, like Cheerios do. Although, organic "PurelyO's" don't ... anyway, cereal , should I really think about it this much? :LOL
#26 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 05:53 PM

I hate Grape Nuts. I know I'm weird, but I don't like cereal that doesn't get soggy. I like my morning bowl of mushy stuff. :LOL

The thing that does it for me is fast food. Burger King, McDonald's, whatever- they all give me "potty issues" the next day.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#27 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 PM

Grape nuts reminds me of eating cat litter. :Puke

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#28 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=Mama2Bug]I hate Grape Nuts. I know I'm weird, but I don't like cereal that doesn't get soggy. I like my morning bowl of mushy stuff. :LOL QUOTE]

They do get VERY soggy if left long enough. I don't have problems with GN, in fact I really like them (with the added tsp. of sugar). I always pour them and the milk, make the kids breakfast and then eat them and they are nice and soft!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#29 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla
Grape nuts reminds me of eating cat litter. :Puke
:
#30 of 48 Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Chocolate. Gives me the runs.

Raisin Bran. Gives me gas and the runs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page