Herbal teas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-01-2003, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting a bit sick of my coffee and green tea and wanting something without the caffeine. I think I'm after a herbal tea but haven't liked any of the ones I have tried. I don't like the hibiscus or orange peel type ones. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what type of tea and also brands available that are tasty but not fake tasting?

My second question is that I have some lemon verbena and some mint growing in my garden. Can I use this and if so is it just a matter of pouring some warm water on the leaves.

Thanks so much everyone in advance. My body thanks you too!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#2 of 12 Old 01-01-2003, 09:27 PM

I love the teas I get from www.specialteas.com they have fruit melange teas that are really yummy the also have roobios tea which you can get plain or flavored. YUMMY
I mix fruit with green tea sometimes for iced tea, ohhh so good.
good thing about special teas is that you can order samples for a dollar or two apiece to find out what you like.
Their shipping is also resonable I feel.

Erin
#3 of 12 Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 PM

try SporTea. It comes in a yellow box with a picture of a mountain, it's sold at United Market and Whole Foods, other health food stores as well. No caffeine, it really quenches your thirst, and it's good either hot or cold.
#4 of 12 Old 01-02-2003, 02:39 PM

I seldom drink packaged herbal teas, tho I like the Rosehip tea from Crabtree & Evelyn. What I do is to go to the herbsl shop n let the herbalist help me put together a concoction of herbs, for eg now I have a mixture os red raspberry, nettles, milky oats, rosehips, etc to suit my breastfeeding as well as other personal health needs. I brew abt 8 cups each time, store the rest in the fridge, n reheat when necc. hth.
#5 of 12 Old 01-02-2003, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will check them all out. I love the idea of customised teas.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#6 of 12 Old 01-02-2003, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recommend red raspberry tea for all woman. It is a great source of very absorable calcium as well as being a uterine toner which is great for regulating your menstrual cycle. If you are pregnant, drink a cup every day as the uterine toning will help during delivery and the minerals are very beneficial. I get it in bulk and use a tea ball.

To answer your second questions, you can take the herbs fresh out of your garden for tea. Crush them up a little with your fingers and pour boiling water over them. YUM! There's nothing like fresh mint tea.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#7 of 12 Old 01-02-2003, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Cathe, I haven't tried red raspberry tea. I have to be honest. I am really after a refreshing beverage that tastes nice rather than the medicinal side of things, although if they can do both that's great. So, forgive me if I ask, how does the raspberry tea taste? I don't like tea too fruity.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#8 of 12 Old 01-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Banned

I love red raspberry tea. It is the only iced tea I fix at home. For some reason I don't care for it hot. It is rather fruity. Sometimes I mix it 1/2 with a decafinated green tea.
#9 of 12 Old 01-03-2003, 12:17 AM

I don't like fruit teas either (though my girls love berry zinger). Red raspberry leaf has a mild, pleasant flavor that I don't find fruity at all.

If you like a coffe-ish taste, try Celestial Seasons Roastaroma or Almond Sunset.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#10 of 12 Old 01-03-2003, 12:19 AM

Just read the last post - Red Raspberry Leaf is different from raspberry tea and it doesn't have a fruit taste. I agree the fruit teas are much better as iced tea.

#11 of 12 Old 01-03-2003, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent, I am going to go on a hunt for some, hopefully organic, red raspberry leaf tea!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#12 of 12 Old 01-04-2003, 07:17 PM

At the moment i have 2 sorts which i make from 2 of my herb plants.

I have chamomile and also peppermint tea. The peppermint tea i find refreshing after having a meal and the chamomile when i want to relax, i give it to my son occasionally to to soothe him.

When he was a baby he use to drink a tiny bit cold to calm him down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page