BREAD? NO WHITE/NO WHEAT what can I eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2005, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of bread can I eat if I can't have white or wheat. I am trying to stay away from white for the obvious, but wheat I can't have because I am trying to battle candida. So if I can't have either of those, what can I eat? Whole grain is made with wheat flour...I am at a loss. Please advise ol' wise ones of MDC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 08:10 PM

Spelt bread is excellent! You can find it at natural food stores usually in the refridgerated section or the freezer section. They make loaves of bread, bagels and even english muffins! There's also sprouted grain bread.

Once you get used to eating these you won't even miss white or wheat bread!

Good luck

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 PM

Hi, I read your post and thought the same thing. Spelt. I am also battling Candida but correct me if I am wrong but my Dr. recommends that I cool it on the sugar and white flour. She has never mentioned wheat flour as being bad.

I LOVE Spelt bread. It is so expensive in the stores, I like to make it at home. I have been trying a few recipes that I got on this board. And if it calls for WW I just replace it with Spelt. They have turned out fantastic.

I hope you find something that works for you. Good Luck!

Nancy
Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

NCHIN...hello! As far as I know Wheat also feeds yeast/candida. I have been told that by two different homeopathes. But maybe someone here can verify for us. ANYONE know for sure?

Do you use a bread maker for your bread? I would like a recipe for spelt bread. I have made spelt flour pancakes. Is spelt bread as hard as ezekial bread? Man that bread is HARD.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 PM

ooooh, I am battling this as well right now.. and bought spelt bread but then learned it is a variety of wheat (!?), is that correct? I would love to be wrong about this one. It was much fluffier than the other substitutes I've had.

From what I understand, spelt is a no-no for candida cleansing, as it is a gluten grain...

I'm trying to ease my way into a candida cleanse, as trying to just quit cold-turkey always fails. I'm having some serious health issues & keeping : that finally undertaking this diet will clear them up. I've also heard that wheat allergy alone can cause some of the problems I've been dealing with. I also figure wheat will be the hardest (okay, sugar will be, technically) because it is in EVERYthing... even quorn & amy's california burgers!!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 PM

I just re-read your post epalma93... and I'm certain that all gluten grains are to be avoided during a candida cleanse, but can sometimes be introduced in small quantities once the symptoms diminish. There is some great info at wholeapproach.com about the candida cleanse, as well as recipes/symptoms & even message boards!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:27 PM

Don't know about the candida issue but DS is gluten free and is eating rice bread (both brown and white) and tapioca bread and he says they are pretty good. There is a great cookbook- "The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" , I have tried a few recipes form it and they have turned out quite good. I will have to check into the spelt bread for DS, he is avoiding several things including corn and soy so I will have to check it- it's hard to find things without some form of one of those! Good luck getting rid of the yeast!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 PM

Hi, I am not positive also. I am just quoting what my Dr. tells me to do. I would love to hear from others on this. I also looked it up in my dh's Alternative Cures book and it did not mention Wheat. It said to avoid Commercial products like Ketchup, Salad Dressing, soft drinks, coffee, and alcohol. I will quote it. "Sugar and white flour weaken the imune system and rob the body of energy". It also said to avoid processed foods.

I was having a reoccurance of Candida. I was not interested in taking the pill or drugs for it so I asked the Dr. what I could do naturally. I also have problems with urinary track infections. Arent I lucky? Anyways, I have given up drinking any type of juices. My only exception is that I do take 1 glass of watered down PURE cranberry juice every day to help with the urinary infections. I just drink lots and lots of water and eat healthy. Lots of fruits and green leafy vegetables. I have not had problems since. I am knocking on wood as I type.

As for the bread. I do not own a bread machine. I had used my sister's before and did not like the way it turned out and never bought one. I do it by hand and with the help of a food processor. It is really easy. Like I mentioned before, I have been trying a bunch from this board. But the lastest one I tried had wheat gluten. So that might not be much help to you. I have never had the hard bread that you mentioned. I like really soft bread if possible. The others I have contain buttermilk. Is this okay with you? If so, jlmk and I will give you the link to the recipe. I have a wonderful recipe for spelt pancakes, let me know if you need another and I will type it out for you.

Nancy
Old 11-01-2005, 10:36 PM

Hi, I just read the reply to the thread. I was typing. I do not know about "the cleanse" and the effects of wheat. I have a feeling that spelt is a form of wheat. An old form of wheat. Please correct me if I am wrong. As obviously I am not an expert and I have just been doing what works for me.

Nancy
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHIN
Hi, I am not positive also. I am just quoting what my Dr. tells me to do. I would love to hear from others on this. I also looked it up in my dh's Alternative Cures book and it did not mention Wheat. It said to avoid Commercial products like Ketchup, Salad Dressing, soft drinks, coffee, and alcohol. I will quote it. "Sugar and white flour weaken the immune system and rob the body of energy". It also said to avoid processed foods.
The connection between wheat and white (and sugar and processed foods) is that they all have high glycemic indexes. They are all digested very easily and cause your blood sugar to elevate. Then, of course, it plummets and you feel hungry again even if you ate enough calories. If you are avoiding sugar, it makes sense to avoid wheat and white as well. At my best, I substitute rye for wheat because it has a low glycemic index. If you don't add caraway seeds, it does not seem like typical rye bread. I don't think it works well in yeast breads. I tend to use it in "quick batters" (baking soda/powder recipes) like muffins and oatmeal cookies.

Ketchup, salad dressing (esp. low fat ones) and soft drinks are high in sugar. Coffee and alcohol mess with blood sugar levels as well. So that fits in with avoiding high glycemic index foods.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

I have cut out all bread, bagels, and frybread. I do not believe every human body needs that much grain nor that much carbs(if you are working out heavy-duty, then yeah, your body needs the carbs).
I eat wild rice, basmati rice or brown rice. Black beans...and sometimes other beans, like in chili or some other dish, just not a huge fan of them.
Lots of veggies, some fruit, and red meat-very lean.

Pasta-sometimes...twice a week or less, we have spaghetti or stroganoff.

Oatmeal, grits, malt-o-meal, and granola cereal.
Eggs and very little cheese. No milk. Yogurt or Keifer.

I like my crockpot, I make homemade chicken noodle soup, beef stew with wild rice and vegies, and chili.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:48 AM

Here's an idea if you are avoiding wheat but not all gluten-y grains. You can make a soda bread with quick oats and rye flour. I don't have a recipe, but it's pretty simple to imrovise. Think of it like making biscuits but without the white flour. Start out with 1/3 rye flour (fine ground), 2/3 oats--quick or instant is good for holding together better, some regular rolls is good for the texture. Add a dash of salt, and some soda, maybe soem sugar, but not necessary, then cut in shortening or butter or similar. Add a liquid to make a soft dough--water/milk/buttermilk/soy milk, shape into a round loaf and bake for an hour or so. It's good with raisins or currants in. We eat it with honey and butter. It's not moist/sticky like conventional bread, more biscuity-crumbly goodness, but also not hard or hockey-puck-like as many of the non-wheat-y breads can be.

This was by far my favorite wheat-less bread in ten years in a wheat-bread scarce household.

User Tag List