Once a Month Cooking and Freezing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-09-2003, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here cook once a month or week and freeze meals? I saw a lot of groups on yahoo dedicated to this topic. I don't do it, but it sounds like a good idea.

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-09-2003, 01:39 PM

I have heard of this too...I know lasanga is a good one to do...and spagehtti sauce in bulk... just make a big batch and pour in gallon size ziplocsI haven't yet found the time to dedicate the whole day to cooking......I hope I do soon...HTH a little...
TC,
Tara
#3 of 14 Old 01-09-2003, 02:25 PM

I just did this last sunday. For us it ends up lasting more than a month. Probably close to two. We aren't a big family (just myself, DH and 2yo DD). So I double several recipes, but put it in 3-4 smaller dishes, so that lasts for at least 3-4 meals, but usually more once you consider leftovers. I doubled 4 recipes and I could have done more (still have room in the freezer). I made two different types of pasta recipes, enchiladas, and "tamale pie" (corn tortillas torn, mixed with tomato sauce, salsa, corn, cheese, meat sub, black olives). Works great for us.
Karen
#4 of 14 Old 01-09-2003, 03:27 PM

I don't do it all at once but I do try to cook extra of things that freeze well. When I make beans I make a ton and freeze in small portions. Also I make burritos and freeze those. Soups, lasagna etc.
Potatoes don't freeze to well but most everything else does. I have been out of the habit lately but plan to do more as we have been buying way too much convenience food!!
#5 of 14 Old 01-09-2003, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to start doing this. I don't have a whole day to just cook. But, I'm going to start doubling recipes and freeze the extras. Sounds like a great way to eat when time is short. Usually when I'm to tired to cook we eat sandwhiches or eat out. This sounds a lot better.

Brenda
#6 of 14 Old 01-09-2003, 06:17 PM

I have been doing this for a long time and it has proved invaluable since I had my son. I am a WOHM so any time saver for me are key. Here are a few of my fav's.

1. Lasagna: I usually make one big one for dinner then a few "mini" ones made in bread loaf pans. The mini's go right into the freezer unbaked. These are great and can right into the oven frozen. I put one in when I first get home then hang with my son till dad get's home. Usually done within an hour. Just add a salad and bread. Yummy

2. Roast Chicken: I almost always roast one on Sunday. This is great to have in the fridge to pick on during the week and to make sandwiches. I put the leftover bones in a big ziplock bag in the freezer. When I have enough bones I make home made chicken stock.

3. Soups: I make lots of soup from any available leftovers. In the winter I make lots of root vegetable based soups like carrot and squash. Having homemade stock on hand in the freezer makes it even easier. Soups freeze wonderfully. I freeze in 4-6 serving containers or med size ziplock bags so I can take out just what I need.

4. In the summer I make pots and pots of tomato sauce with lots of chunky vegetables from the garden. I freeze it in small amounts and in the winter it becomes the basis of lots of soups and pasta dishes.

I think it helps that I was raised in a big family and we all loved to cook. I really don't know how to cook "small" so it is natural for me to double or triple almost everything I cook. I also have the luxury of having an extra fridge/freezer in the basement. It old and rattles a lot but it sure is great to have it!

HollyBears Mom 8/9/01

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#7 of 14 Old 01-10-2003, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks HollyBearsMom. Great suggestions and I will use them all

Brenda
#8 of 14 Old 01-10-2003, 04:24 AM

A small-scale addition to the thread:

DH (the house cook ...) will cook a huge batch of onions, pounds of them, one evening, just sauteeing them and freezing them in small snack-size ziploc packages. They freeze fine, & when a recipe could use some onions, just so as not to have to do the whole thing with the oil & having to clean up after it, they're ready.

- Amy
#9 of 14 Old 01-10-2003, 11:24 AM

I also do a lot of freezing. I's a WOHM, and I don't know how I would manage without it. We'd be ordering take out every other night otherwise.

Like some other mommas, trying to do the once a month marathon cooking sessions is too much for me, as you really need to have two full days to devote to shopping and cooking, with somebody else watching the kids. I just make double and triple batches of things and freeze extras. I'm usually hanging around the house on Sunday afternoons with my toddler, while dh and older dd are out. So I'll throw together a vat or two of something that doesn't require much attention, but does require a lot of time, like a soup, a stew, a couple of pot roasts at once, etc., and get several meals ready to freeze that way. By doing this, it's pretty easy to build up a stash of good freezer meals fairly quickly.

When I first started doing this, I read a bunch of books that had "plans" and recipes for freezing. But I ended up making stuff that my family really doesn't like that much. Now I just make up my family's favorite recipes. The books do help in that they give you an idea of what doesn't freeze too well, but most stuff is fine. We are not vegetarians, and I don't know about freezing things like tofu-based meals.
#10 of 14 Old 01-10-2003, 12:03 PM

My husband reminded me about this last night. On "special occasion" Saturday or Sundays I usually make either banana french toast ( throw bananas, eggs and milk into a blender) or I make blueberrie pancakes. I usually cook up a whole loaf of bread or make about 50 pancakes.

I completley cool all the extras on a rack then stack between pcs of wax paper and freeze. My husband is on breakfast duty during the week so he loves being able to just throw one of them into the toaster for our son. Just add some yogurt or fruit and you have a healthy homemade breakfast in no time!

Happy cooking!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#11 of 14 Old 01-12-2003, 10:52 AM

We have been doing this for years.

Once a month ( mostly in the fall /winter months) we make and freeze dinner for about 20 nights........ In the summer we eat more grilled veggies, salads, burrittos.........

What we usually make.........

Red Sauce with TVP, onions, mushrooms, peppers..........

Vegetarian Chili

Leek and Potato Soup

Lentil Soup

Ratatouille

Stuffed Egg Plant

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Lasagne

Corn Chowder

Stuffed potaoes

I make enough of each for two meals.

It takes us about 4-5 hours to cook and freeze everything. It works out real well. All we have to do is pull somethign out of the freezer, make and salad and bread and we are ready to eat. Plus there is always somethign available when guest drop by.

It also cuts down on our co-op, buying club costs..

Granolomom

Brenda, where in Tennessee do you live? we live in midle tennessee/wislon county-dekald county area....
#12 of 14 Old 01-12-2003, 12:08 PM

I'll occasionally freeze half a pot of chili or bean soup or something, but typically I don't do much of this. My dh prefers simple, one-pot stew-type meals with bread every single day, anyway, and I use a pressure cooker, so I can get something done fast when I have to.

My sister, though, has done the once-a-month thing, out of those books, with a good friend. The books give you a whole list of what to buy, and then the order of cooking/preparing. She said it was kind of weird, because you cook like 15lb. of ground beef, not knowing just where it's headed...and then you assemble and freezer-bag stuff. Mostly it ends up being stew/casserole/soup/saucy things. They split the results into 2 portions. They mostly use these meals just for lunches for them and the kids--at least, my sister does, because her dh is a non-vegetable-eating type. He doesn't like anything that doesn't look like a steak or a pizza.

Of course, with dietary restrictions, I wouldn't be able to use the books she has used; they call for a lot of ham, I think. On that note, though, it would really be neat if someone made a "month of vegetarian" eating, or vegan! It's easier to add meat to recipes, I think, than to take it out. And I am sure someone has done it...
#13 of 14 Old 01-12-2003, 12:10 PM

BTW--I forgot to mention: she and friend would spend a whole saturday. They'd give the kids to dhs, go shopping in the early am, and spend the entire day in the kitchen chopping, frying, measuring, etc.

Oh--and then at the end they of course had to write ID info and prep directions on the bagged foods.

She saidit was kind of fun doing it together with a friend without the kids--but if she had to do it with the kids around, forget it!
#14 of 14 Old 01-12-2003, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Granolamom,

I'm in McMinnville! We aren't far from each other.

Keep the ideas coming ladies, I'm taking notes.

Brenda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page