Silly question about Kale greens - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can you freeze them? The only real grocery store near us is Publix and I was lucky enough to find Kale greens there (I started using them in smoothies). Unfortunately, it's a huge bag (at least for us). I hate to waste them. Since they are going into a frozen smoothie would they survive being frozen? What else can I use them for? We are veggie challenged here. We pretty much stick to the basics (green beans, peas, corn, brocolli, spinach) but I'd like to give a little more variety.

Does anyone have any tasty recipes to use Kale greens in? Dh is kind of picky but I usually can get him to try something once (for the kids).

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like to use greens(spinach,kale)in pasta dishes. Like lasagna or spaghetti.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 PM

I love this recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals for minestra:

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/...,20125,00.html

Just substitute kale for escarole. I have made this recipe and variations of it, like, a million times. So good!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 01-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Banned

Dunno for certain, but I'd bet you can blanch the kale (steam it very very briefly) and then freeze it in freezer bags or otherwise tightly sealed with all the air pressed out.

As others have pointed out, kale is good in various bean soups.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes, yes, yes you CAN freeze kale and it couldn't be easier. Forget the blancing, mince them up in your food processor and put them in a freezer container or bag. Then just take out what you need. Frozen kale is great in soups, rice, anything - use it like parsley!!!!

I always freeze it because it is hard to go through a whole bunch before it goes bad. An added bonus is that kids who may not like the chewy texture or taste of kale hardly notice it when it's minced. I love to sneak it in almost every dish because it is about the most nutritious food on the planet!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 01-10-2003, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you look at the thread "need advice on eating more fruits and veggies" by Holly, I posted my Creamy Greens Smoothie recipes. It's made with kale and its YUMMY.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

User Tag List