need zucchini ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any good recipes that include zucchini? How about a bread. I went out and bought some zucchini and didn't realize we already had some. So now I have a bunch. I'm not the biggest fan of zucchini so eating it plain 3 times this week is enough of that. How old does baby have to be to eat it? He is 6 months now.

Thanks,
Tracey
#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Zucchini quesadillas
1t olive oil
cooking spray
1/3c finely choppped onion
1/2t minced garlic
1 1/4c shredded zucchini
1/4t oregano
1/8 t salt and black pepper
4 tortillas
2 oz preshredded mozzarella
1/3 c diced tomato
1/4c shoped ptted kalamata olives
1oz crumbled feta cheese

heat oil in nonstick skilled coated with cooking sprayover med high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 1 minute. Add zucchini, saute2 minutes or until lightly browned. remove from heat and add spices.

wipe pan clean and coat with cooking spray. Heat pan over med heat, add 1 tortilla and sprinckle with 1/4 c mozzarella. Top with half of zucchini mix, 1/4c tomato, 2T olives, 2T feta and 1 tortilla. Cook 3 minutes or until lightly brown on bottom. TUrn quesadilla, cook 2 minutes more. Place on cutting board, cut in half using serrated knife. Repeat using remaining ingredients.

I also use this recipe replacing sweet potatoes with the zucchini....
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 01:23 PM

My favorite zucchini recipe:

1. Cut zucchini into strips.
2. Place in large ziploc bag.
3. Pour in some wheat germ, close, and shake to coat.
4. Place strips on greased cookie sheet.
5. Cook at 450 for 15 minutes.

Then I eat them dipped in a vegan ranch style dressing. My toddler cannot get enough of these. And the wheat germ is so healthy for her, I don't bother with bread crumbs. It's fast, and pretty healthy (except for the dressing).
#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
1. Stir-fry in olive oil, garlic, oregano, other herbs if you like, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta.

2. Lightly brown zucchini, then add marinara sauce and heat until bubbling. Serve over pasta or on cheese-toast.

3. Stir-fry in peanut or sesame oil w/onions, garlic, ginger, just a little soy sauce, and pepper to taste. Put into bowls on top of hot rice. Scramble eggs in the leftover oil in pan and put on top of zucchini. Garnish w/cilantro, if you happen to have some.

4. Cook in same pot w/rice and cream-of-mushroom soup, or rice and broth and assorted herbs. Add enough water to get the total amount of liquid you'd normally use for the amount of rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and stir every couple of minutes until liquid is absorbed.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 6 Old 01-11-2003, 02:26 AM

We just had this for dinner!

Zucchini Frittata with Marjoram

1 1/4 pounds zucchini, coarsely grated
salt and pepper
olive oil
6 eggs
1-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp marjoram
1/3-1 cup grated parmesan cheese
handful of toasted walnuts, almonds or pine nuts

Toss the zucchini with about 1 tsp salt and set it aside in a colander for 20-30 minutes. Rinse briefly, then squeeze excess water out.

Warm a bit of olive oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently until it's reasonably dry-ish and flecked with gold in a few places. Set zucchini in a bowl and wipe out the pan.

Preheat the broiler. Beat the eggs with a little salt and pepper and then stir in the garlic, zucchini, marjoram and cheese. Add a bit more oil to the pan (not too much or it ends up sitting on top of your frittata!). Whe the oil is hot, add the egg mixture. Lower the heat, cook for about 10 minutes until the eggs are nearly set and the top is almost dry, running a spatula around the edges to make sure the eggs aren't sticking to the pan.

Sprinkle the nuts over the top of the frittata and put it 4-6 inches under the broiler to finish cooking the top.
#6 of 6 Old 01-11-2003, 07:05 AM

Cook it with a bit of sliced tomato, place in a saucepan with a bit of water and cook both until cooked as you like. If you like you can add a bit of crushed garlic to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page