breadmachines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2003, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you use it or does sit in the cupboard? Does it make great whole grain bread? Is it easy to use? Would you say they are worth the $$? If so, which one do you recommend getting?
Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 04:27 PM

I use mine several times a week.
We make 1/2 wheat 1/2 white bread to go with our dinners
Or
We make whole wheat pizza crusts for mex. pizza
or
We make reg. pizza crust for reg. pizzas.

This is the 2nd one I've had. It is a Toastmaster. I've had it 5 years and it still works great.

I recommend you get one that makes 2 pound loaves. (makes a regular size loaf) The bottom and ends are way to crusty and need to be sliced off and thrown away. After you do that to a 1 and 1/2 pound loaf, there really isn't much left to enjoy. With 2 pounds, it is fine.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:04 PM

And am kicking myself for not getting the 2lb loaf makerBut none the less I have had it for 4 dasy and I've made something in it everyday sometimes 2 times We paid $39.99 for ours and if it lasts us 5 years it'll be well worth the money.
I think this will be something I will not let set in the cupboard....
But it also something new and it may wear off....I hope not
Old 01-14-2003, 12:49 AM

I missed getting a breadmaker off ebay (the australian one) for only $20.50 ggrrrrrrrrrrrr the good thing with a bread maker is that you can do your bread while you sleep and wake up to a freshly baked loaf. yummy
Old 01-14-2003, 01:36 AM

thanks for posting this!

my bday is coming up and i am asking hubby to get me a breadmaker.

a lady i know who makes the best bread, uses a breadmaker to knead and rise the dough... but then transfers it to a pan and bakes it in the oven. she makes the most awesome bread, and swears by this method.

mel
Old 01-14-2003, 12:07 PM

I have the 2 pound Breadman Deluxe and love it. I have owned and used a bread machine for about 7 years now. I use it 2-3 times in an average week. Besides bread, I use it to make pizza dough and rolls. Nothin' like dumping the ingredients in the machine in the morning and having a great-smelling house all afternoon followed by warm fresh bread with dinner.

I also use mine to make yummy cinnamom bread that my kids are addicted to!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:48 PM

We love our breadmaker! We have the kind that makes the sideways (normal-looking) loaf, which I much prefer to the stand-up loaf style. It makes 1.5 or 2 lb. loaves - although we never make the smaller ones. Also, we enjoy the crusty crust. We feel that's the way bread is supposed to be, plus it reminds us of Europe. I usually make a 50% whole wheat bread and also really like whole wheat pizza crust. We've also done foccacias and stuff like that. Another cool thing is that you can pretty much substitute flours cup for cup in recipes such as soy flour, rice flour, amaranth flour and quinoa flour to make breads that are delicious and nutrient dense! Try finding amaranth bread at your local supermarket... not a chance.

Another thing I do is make my own "breadmixes" by putting all the dry ingredients into a baggie so that DH will be more inclined to put in a loaf - today, for example, I put together a bunch of these for DH to use after our new baby arrives (due in a week!) It seems silly but it does cut down on the amount of work to get bread going - and you only wash the measuring cups once that way. Of course you still need to measure water, oil, yeast and stuff, but depending on the recipe it really helps get the job done.
Happy breadmaking!
Old 01-15-2003, 03:50 AM

jm not-so ho, i'd save the $ & get a kitchenaid- the only work is the kneading anyhow, & it does that very well (in addition to other things).

(i have a blob of sourdough- real sourdough from a pioneer starter, no store-bought yeast!- rye rising right now- i make several loaves a week. it is soooo easy). feh, bread machines!

there's *tools, & there's *gimmicks. (yes, i am opinionated about this subject- if you love your bread machine, god bless you, but for someone just thinking about getting one, this is my experience.)

had a breadmaker a decade ago, it was a piece of hard-to-clean plastic crap, it gathered dust, i threw it away. now my kitchenaid... that's a family heirloom. my dd will get it one day, & i expect i'll have grandchildren using it. i love that thing! and yes, i got it primarily for bread.

suse

User Tag List