husband on atkins, im not happy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2003, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my husband is on that low-carb---high protein diet.

i am SURE it is not safe.

he has bad breath, body odor, dark urine...looks gaunt...loosing weight too fast.

he will NOT listen to me.

anyone have any good websites (that seem legitimate) about the dangers?

advice to stop him?

i can't take it, and he doesn't seem to hear me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sleepies
he has bad breath, body odor, dark urine...
But that's such a small price to pay for being thin!

Peta has done some good work w/regard to Atkins. Your husband might dismiss it as extremism...maybe don't tell him it's Peta.

I found their website helpful with the 'Got Pus?' campaign. When I could click on my state and see how much pus (from mastitis in cows) feels is okay for me to have with my milk, cheese, sour cream, etc., I was revolted.

http://www.goveg.com/

They also describe how an atkins type diet leads to erectile dysfunction. Maybe that will get his attention.

Good luck! I would go insane if my husband did this. I can tell you, too, I wouldn't be cooking 'his' food!!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:42 PM

Your best defense might be to read Atkin's book. His plan is a lot different than the diet of most people on the plan. People stick to the extreme becase it works, but they really need to be eating the vegetables and low fat foods Atkins recommends. I know of a website that is good, too, let me see if I can remember.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 01-14-2003, 08:57 PM

He probably needs to get a ton more water into his diet. That'll make him pee like every 5 minutes instaed of 10, but it's important... And a b-complex vitamin, as well as a multi-vitimin and mineral. Also those breath assure tabs really help because the stink is coming from the stomach, not the mouth.

It's not unsafe, people who follow it just need to take control of their health/diet and take responsibility for their own welfare instead of putting their trust blindly in some medical authority.

I read the book and it made an impact on me. I'm an Atkins supporter, now. Before I kept telling my sis - but you NEED carbs, now I know that "carbohydrate" is too broad a term for the number of food items defined therein.

I don't know of anyone who can discredit the Atkins diet without making stuff up. He has a lot of data as well as case histories that are very convincing. Some peoploe don't do well on the diet, but they are very limited and Atkins acknowledges these people and has an adjusted plan for them. If you're concerned, you could also write to them from their website: www.atkinscenter.com

For counter info, you could try Dean Adele's vegetarian diet, but even his diet isn't absolutely in disagreement w/Atkins, he just promotes low fat/hi carb - but it's a much less satisfying diet to be on. Harder to stick to. I think his diet is restrictive by vegetarian standards.

What's amusing is that they're both cardiologists
Old 01-14-2003, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

and........
i would not know about the erectile dysfunction because we have not had sex since he started this horrid diet,

usually he is tooooo tired (duh you dont eat anything for energy what do you expect?)

and when he was in the mood last night, he smelt like rotten tuna and i wasn't interested.

i can't believe anyone would make their spouce suffer just to loose weight. i am so angry with him i could explode.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:36 AM
Banned

I just found several links for the dangers of the Atkins diet. Please don't tell me the dangers are all made up. I know someone who almost died from the diet and she was a nurse (and a nursing instructor with her masters) who folowed the plan to a T.

http://www.personalmd.com/news/n1019051555.shtml

http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/

http://www.livingleantoday.com/archi...tkins_diet.htm

http://www.mightyvitamins.com/articles/atkins.htm
Old 01-15-2003, 01:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
But that's such a small price to pay for being thin!
Yep, Let's just starve your body of the nutrition it needs to the point it is begining to break down. What is good health, when you can die thin : :
Old 01-15-2003, 03:38 AM

you can find support for just about any kind of food quackery in our crunchy community, but it is OK to be disrespectful of people who have bought into the 'lowfat = thin' propaganda all their fat lives, & finally have had good results with limiting their carbohydrates?

it is not about pounding as much bacon & butter into your life as possible, it is about insulin responses to sugar in your diet, & limiting them. carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body- period.

when my dh first talked about doing this, i was skeptical. but he was so adamant, i felt like i should research beyond what i heard someone told katie couric on gma- and what i found was not the hysterical 'your kidneys will die!' spiel that everyone believes.

here is a book that has a little more realistic plan in what is allowed carb-wise than good dr atkins: 'Protein Power' by Drs Michael & Mary Dan Eades- check your library. it was better for me to at least know some facts (even if i wasn't persuaded, which i was) before arguing.

mystichealermom is right- it sounds like your dh is not drinking NEARLY enough water, sleepies (and frankly, my dh smells much better 40 lb thinner. ketosis don't stink if enough water you drink! ) you sound angry, & i don't blame you, sounds like he needs to modify his plan a lot! - but if you support him, & help educate both of you, it will be better for your relationship than castigating him for trying to improve his health.

ps wild oats has some sprouted breads that are pretty low carb, when he just has to have a sandwich! blueberries, melon, low carb atkins endulge! chocolate (oh man, that's good- i eat it for the taste!)... mushrooms, so many delicious foods are low carb w/out having to make some ersatz atkins bread with soy & whey (which i have done- oh, it was *edible*, but...)
yeah, splenda ain't 'natural', but neither is agriculture. and ps, there are atkins diet vegans out there- it's about protein, not just meat.

good luck, & i hope things work out for you both- suse
Old 01-15-2003, 12:23 PM

I saw Dr.Atkins on CNN the other day talking with Larry King about his "diet". (of course Dr. Atkins heart attack wasn't diet related, yeah right). There is something wrong with a diet that says its perfectly ok to eat a bacon double cheesburger-- as long as you don't eat the bun.

If he truely wants to eat for the better, have him check out http://www.living-foods.com/welcome.html
Old 01-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Last month's (Jan) Scientific American had a excellent layperson's article on nurtrition. (www.sciam.com...you might have to pay since it's a back issue now.) They have rewritten the "food pyramid" without FDA politics, following most reccent research...and they explain the good and bad fat differentiation, and the good and bad carb differentiation. Atkins is not entirely right, but neither is common thought on nutrition...I can see if you believed low fat refined carbs were good for you that he's be a revelation - they ARE sugar...but I don't know how this has been news. I have seen people who mainline Snackwell lowfat cookies become diabetic, and just as fat. Seemed obvious to me.

and yeah, people who take not entirely correct info (atkins) and then don't do basic things like drink enough are being unhealthy. My husband had good success with Atkins...but has gained it all back. He's trying again using similar principles but without the Atkins focus. I think any diet that thinks you need to eat almost no green veggies, even for a limited time...is weird. And the largest weightloss happens there, so men especially seem to like to stay in that restrictive period.

So, it's not ok to think Atkins is somewhat wrong...but we forget that every time we focus on weight, and diets, that we're also harming our fat-positive sisters who are happy with themselves, don't want to lose weight, as well as our sisters with eating disorders...where focus on diet has been harmful. So our obsession with diets is broader than whose strategy is right.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:08 PM

i don't remember even atkins in the most limited phase of the diet advising not eating green veggies- and in the eades books, eating vast quantities of green veggies is most important. (eating huge quantities of carrots, or tomatoes, etc, in the very limited parts of some diets, would be a problem, but i'm talking about say, 40 grams of carb a day instead of 200- that means a few carrots, a slice of bread, etc- let alone cups & cups of kale or something- are fine.)

no one is suggesting that nitrate-ridden bacon & hormone-laced fatty burger w/ processed rat-turd cheese are great for you (altho' in the sense of still losing weight if you eat them, if morbid obesity is your main prob, they are ok)- but for non-vegetarians, i would hazard a guess that a range fed buffalo-burger with nitrate-free bacon and a slice of horizon organic no-bgh cheese is quite healthy.

i don't know if this thread is the best forum to debate the intrinsic healthiness of vegetarian over omniverous diets; obviously people who have chosen a vegan diet will find much to differ w/ in most incarnations of a low-carb diet. being veggie for religious or ethical reasons is inarguably a right & decent thing to do; but when health concerns become the focus, that's science, and open to question and debate.

respectfully submitted, suse
Old 01-15-2003, 06:54 PM

hey, I'm not a veggie advocate being an omnivore myself. The first two week period of atkins, that I recall, says no more than 2 cups per day, I believe? Or it may be only 1. Either, to me, is overly restricted given the whoe hog, so to speak, nature of the protein and fat suggestions. The eades book sounds a lot more like the direction DH is heading.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:06 PM

yeah, i agree the first couple weeks of atkins itself are pretty intense- i don't think it's necessary to go zero carb, y'know? that said, with adequate water and a vitamin few people have died from 2 weeks of a crummy diet.

eat your veggies! suse

User Tag List