need some more kale recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-15-2003, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually cook kale with garlic and olive oil until it wilts a bit, maybe add a few red pepper flakes. I like it this way, but I'd like to have kale more often and I need some suggestions of other ways to prepare it.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 01-15-2003, 11:54 AM

Throw it in smoothies -- really, it's in Cathe Olson's book (Simply Natural Baby Foods) and she's right, you don't notice it!
Toss it in soups and stews.
Saute it like you do, add sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts and parmesan and toss it with pasta.
Take leftover rice, grains, beans, whatever. Add browned soy sausage (or nuts), spices, roll up in kale leaves and steam or bake.
Put it in omelets.
Chop it fine and put it in bread dough.
Basically, look at everything you're making and ask yourself, "Hmmmm, can kale go in this?"
#3 of 18 Old 01-15-2003, 02:16 PM

I like it best in soups. I shred it and add it to any kind of bean or lentil soup or minestrone. Just throw it in when the soup is nearly finished and let it simmer for maybe 15-20 minutes and it should be done.
#4 of 18 Old 01-15-2003, 06:50 PM

2 more:

kale and curry potatoes (carrots are also good here)
kale with cumin spiced beans on top

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#5 of 18 Old 01-15-2003, 06:57 PM

Have you ever had Portuegese Kale Soup? It is very yummy but it does have linguica and/or chorizo in it. I have my grandmothers recipe, let me know if you are interested and I'll post it.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#6 of 18 Old 01-15-2003, 07:01 PM

I sautee onions in olive oil, lots of cumin, bay leaf, and add canned tomotoes. then the kale. from Laurel's Kitchen i think.
Yummy over brown rice!

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#7 of 18 Old 01-16-2003, 01:32 PM

In the what's for dinner thread I posted a recipe about a chard/potato/cheese dish, and kale would also suit it fine. I also like to throw it in lentils and flavor with soy sauce or Bragg's. Or with tofu.
#8 of 18 Old 01-16-2003, 02:44 PM

Hollybear...Please post your recipe! or, you can PM me...thanks.

it sounds delicious.
#9 of 18 Old 01-16-2003, 02:57 PM

I am trying a new recipe tonight -Carribean Kale and Butternut Squash. It is has lots of spices like ginger and cloves and served with brown rice. It is actually a Weight watchers recipe! If it comes out good and anyone is interested I will post it!
#10 of 18 Old 01-16-2003, 08:03 PM

From Molly Katzen's Vegetable Heaven - I love the Kale Crunch.

Hold on, let me go read the rules on posting recipes...:

Ok, preheat oven to 350. LIne a baking tray with foil (I think for convenience?) and spray or brush with oil.

Mince or chop smally (my word ) a big bunch of stemmed kale. Spread out on the tray.

Bake 10 minutes, mixing once or twice. Sprinkle with paremsan and bake 10-15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

Basically the kale gets crispy like a chip. You just have to watch it so it doesn't burn. If you are lazy and chop unevenly like I do, some are really crispy and some are still soft. A yummy snack!
#11 of 18 Old 01-16-2003, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaby3
Hollybear...Please post your recipe! or, you can PM me...thanks.

it sounds delicious.

Here its is-Vegetarians read no further

This was a staple when I was growing up. As my grandmother wrote on her recipe" Feeds 8 people or at least 4 of us hungry "Portygees".

Grandmothers Portuguese Kale Soup

1 large beef shinbone
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 large carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bay leaf
1 1/2 lbs linguica or chorizo sliced into rounds
1 lb fresh kale, stemmed and chopped
4 large potatos diced into large cubes
2 can shell or kidney beans (my grandmother used dried and then soaked but the cans are easier)

In a large, heavy pot simmer bone, onions, garlic, carrots and bayleaf in 8 cups water for 2 hours. Skim as needed. Add sausage and simmer for another 1/2 hour, Add kale, potatos and beans. Continue simmering until potatos are done. Remove from heat and take out shinbone. Cut meat into small pcs and add meat and marrow to to soup. Cool in fridge over night or for at least 8 hours to allow the favors to mellow and blend. Remove as much congealed fat as possible. Reheat and serve.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#12 of 18 Old 01-18-2003, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

mmmmm!

thanks everybody, these are great ideas!
#13 of 18 Old 01-18-2003, 08:26 PM

In Holland kale is usually eaten mashed in with potatoes and a little bit of vinegar, and then smoked sausage on top. If you're into filling, heavy, bland food, it's a great dish (I gotta admit it still reminds me of home). It's kinda kid-style bland and simple. If you're really poor, it's also great. But then again, there are lots of tastier and cheaper dishes
#14 of 18 Old 01-19-2003, 06:22 AM

I am new to this whole kale thing. I bought some for the first time today because the recipes sound so yummy. Also because of the kale smoothie recipe from Cathe that I read in another thread. Can someone answer some questions for me?

- Does kale have to be cooked? Can it be eaten raw like in a salad? When you freeze it, can it be frozen raw or does it have to be cooked? When you put it in a smoothie, do you put in raw kale or cooked?

- What are the health benefits of kale? Is it healthier than spinach or other leafy greens?

TIA!
#15 of 18 Old 01-20-2003, 01:01 AM

I am new to kale, like Joyful.

someone tell me about it, please? :
#16 of 18 Old 01-20-2003, 06:14 PM

Joyful,

Yes, unless it's really small and young, you need to cook kale. It's much tougher than spinach or chard. It's also better for you (actually one of the best/most nutritious of the green leafies) -- it doesn't have oxalic acid, which, IIRC, makes a lot of the iron in spinach and chard unavailable for absorption. Kale is an excellent vegan source of calcium, and also has lots of vitamin A, and of course dietary fiber. I don't know if you can freeze it raw or not, but I would suggest parboiling before freezing.

I like to cook kale with white beans, chipotle pepper, olive oil, and lots of garlic.
#17 of 18 Old 01-20-2003, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love kale. It's my favorite vegetable. It's more nutritious than even broccoli. My kids are not crazy about it though so this is what I do. I mince it up really fine in my food processor and use it like parsley. I add it to soup, rice, spagetti sauce, anything even egg, tuna, potato, or pasta salad. They don't mind it at all that way.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#18 of 18 Old 01-21-2003, 02:46 AM
Banned

I adore kale too. My favorite is dinosaur kale, so yummy and keeps better than the red and green. A great way to cook this one is to heat up some left-over black-eyed peas in a skillet with sauteed onions, then put the kale on top and cover, cooking until tender. Scoop this mxture into a baked halved squash (kabocha?sp, is my favorite), then pour over a cold sauce made of yougurt, tahini and garlic. Sooo good!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page